Apex wiring through household Cat5e (USB -> Cat5e -> USB)

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question for my friend's build... The sump room is in the basement, not directly under the tank. If I had known this, I would have had the builders run a USB line the distance, but live and learn... Now we are looking for a way to get the APEX communications from the sump room to the tank upstairs.

In the sump room is the whole home Cat5e distribution. There is a port in the wall near the tank upstairs. So my questions are below:

1. Can I wire a USB plug into the Cat5e cable then convert back to USB upstairs from the port in the wall?

2. Will the wire handle the APEX communications?

3. Has anyone done this before that can share their experiences or wiring diagram?

Thanks!

OP
OP
cdness

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a powered signal booster which would work for data, but this is not the USB spec. It is just USB connectors which makes it a very unique case...

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but for $20 it is worth a shot. You would not be able to run it through a switch or hub though. You would need to punch it down in a 66-block or some such.

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats you max distance? this will help to know if you'll need to put a booster in place. USB using the Apex i though max is 200ft if so you can purchase 50 usb (costly) and run it like your running the Cat45. of course this is if your connecting to the DB8 or one of the modules. If your running for internet then you can run a Cat45 from your router to the base up 100ft with no issues or setup a WiFi extender with your existing router and a additional router as a extender that would set next to the base.
You can purchase USB to Cat adapters also. theres only 4 lines needed for USB so i dont see why you can't use Twisted Pair, but power would be my concern and that will depend on how far you have to run it.
This will also help you out:
USB pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats you max distance? this will help to know if you'll need to put a booster in place. USB using the Apex i though max is 200ft if so you can purchase 50 usb (costly) and run it like your running the Cat45. of course this is if your connecting to the DB8 or one of the modules. If your running for internet then you can run a Cat45 from your router to the base up 100ft with no issues or setup a WiFi extender with your existing router and a additional router as a extender that would set next to the base.<br>&nbsp; You can purchase USB to Cat adapters also. theres only 4 lines needed for USB so i dont see why you can't use Twisted Pair, but power would be my concern and that will depend on how far you have to run it.<br>&nbsp; This will also help you out:<br><a href="http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml">http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml</a>

You will also need to know the pin setting for the Apex to ensure that it will work. MAny people thing you can for long term use any USB cable but its not true Neptune uses a different pin configuration than standard USB and thats why many people who use standard USB cables with their Apex always have small issue over time.

jduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USB is just 4 wires. Shouldn't be a problem. Just need to find the terminal end of that Cat5e outlet wire.
No Boosters, you can damage the APEX doing that.

On the tank side I would take one of those extra regular usb cables you have laying around the house. Cut off the USB B end (thats the square one) and install a RJ45.
connector.

Not sure how far you need to run it from the cat5e hub. Would need to build a cable with keystone jack on one end and USB A on other.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back