Apex with Trident - Outlet Programming Based on Test Values

PaulB777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex controller with a new Trident that I just got set up. My intention is to add a dosing system using the Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) 2 Part Doser Pumps. I'm pretty sure that I know how to program an outlet on the Apex to schedule the pump to turn on based on a time parameter (e.g. run for 1 minute every hour on the hour) which will be derived from how much dosing is needed. What I've never seen (or been able to figure out) so far though is to be able to program an outlet to actually take into account the tested values for Alk, Ca & Mg that the Trident is logging every few hours and then have it only turn on the pumps when those values are within a certain range.

For example, let's say under normal circumstances I've calculated that I need 100ml of liquid soda ash a day to keep my Alk around 10. That would translate to around 4ml an hour or around 4 minutes for a BRS pump. From what I've learned, I could program an outlet like this to accomplish that:
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/004:00/056:00 Then ON

That works great if my load stays the same but what if it changes? The Apex "knows" what my Alk level is via the Trident, so how can I get it take that into account? In other words, I want it to only execute the above code (i.e. turn on the pump outlet for the specified time) if the Alk level is less than 10?

Note that I know how to do this with certain parameters like pH (e.g. If pH > 8.35 Then OFF) but how can I get it to do that with Alk, Ca & Mg? Does anyone have some example Apex outlet programming code where you've gotten it to work that way?

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can reference the Trident’s readings with the Alkx##, Calx##, and Magx## Inputs. Their exact names include your Trident’s AquaBus address. In your example above, just add an If command after the OSC command:

Fallback OFF
If Alkx16 > 10.0 Then OFF

Some people have posted more detailed programming they’re using to control calcium reactors with the Trident. If you search on that I’m sure you’ll find more examples.

U

User1

View Badges
And remember to let your trident run for a bit before you do this. It is in the instructions and a few threads.

OP
OP
PaulB777

PaulB777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can reference the Trident’s readings with the Alkx##, Calx##, and Magx## Inputs. Their exact names include your Trident’s AquaBus address. In your example above, just add an If command after the OSC command:

Fallback OFF
If Alkx16 > 10.0 Then OFF

Some people have posted more detailed programming they’re using to control calcium reactors with the Trident. If you search on that I’m sure you’ll find more examples.

Okay so if in the Input Log I'm seeing "Alkx5", is that the value that I want to use? In other words: If Alkx5 > 10.0 Then OFF

If that's not right, where do I find the correct "Trident’s AquaBus address"? Thank you BTW for the quick reply---it looks like that's exactly what I need!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so if in the Input Log I'm seeing "Alkx5", is that the value that I want to use? In other words: If Alkx5 > 10.0 Then OFF

If that's not right, where do I find the correct "Trident’s AquaBus address"? Thank you BTW for the quick reply---it looks like that's exactly what I need!

Should just appear as an option if you start typing "if alk" in advanced programming.

Alternatively, you can navigate to the "tree" view (not sure the actual name) to seethe inputs.

T5e7NTl.png

OP
OP
PaulB777

PaulB777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should just appear as an option if you start typing "if alk" in advanced programming.

Alternatively, you can navigate to the "tree" view (not sure the actual name) to seethe inputs.

T5e7NTl.png

PERFECT, thank you! Those values are the same as what I see in the input log so that's a nice confirmation. Thanks again for the fast and accurate reply!

Mr4000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the exact same thing with my alk reading on my trident to run my Deltec calcium reactor. I use the exact code SuncrestReef posted so when my alk readings come back either my reactor turns on or off. I've had it hooked up this way for a few weeks and my tank has been very stable.

OP
OP
PaulB777

PaulB777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just got everything hooked up and programmed and it works like a charm! THANK YOU guys!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back