Apex with UPS

kaigoss69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have all my equipment powered by a single EB8 which is plugged into a standard UPS. In the event of a power failure, all equipment keeps running until the UPS battery is dead. This is only a few minutes. I would like to extend the runtime of essential equipment, such as the powerhead, but I am not sure exactly how to do that. I was thinking I can buy an EB4 and plug only that wave maker into it. The unit with then run off of the UPS while the equipment on the EB8 is connected straight to the wall outlet.

In order to save myself some money, I was wondering however if the apex could be programmed such that in the event of a power outage, non essential equipment on the EB8 gets switched off, while the wave maker will keep running. Can this be programmed somehow?

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, how big is your ups? you can program the apex to shut most of the outlets off in case the power is out.... lights and heaters/chillers are the one should not be running when battery is used.

Haubfather07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but found it useful. To build on what was already said, I wanted to mention that you can alternatively/also use the DB9 connector on a lot of UPS devices to alert a breakout box. For example, in the ultimate setup on the PPT shared above by @R33FLIF3 :

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 13.58.39.png

You could put a second UPS on the EB8_4 which would alert you if just a particular circuit failed. See the modified diagram I drew up to explain. I am using the SmartPro 1200 LCD (https://www.tripplite.com/smartpro-...wer-lcd-usb-db9-serial-8-outlets~SMART1200LCD) which provides me with these outputs on the DB8: DB9 provides contact-closure notification of AC Present (pins 1,9 connected) and AC Fail (pins 1,8 connected). You could then leave on primary life support functions on DB8_4 and shut off any that aren't required until you can restore the circuit.

I'm sure a lot of UPS provide the same type signals you'd just need to lookup which pins to use for yours.

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 13.50.19.png

U

User1

View Badges
That is an interesting slide, thanks for sharing. I've not seen it before let alone consider it. Separate AC circuits though is interesting. I know the room my aquarium is in is a single circuit. So if it trips, everything in that room is off - it doesn't matter which of the outlet I'm using. Interesting enough I was placing an order for a tripp lite 1500va / 900w UPS for my NAS and router. Maybe I'll add a second to my cart for my tank. If Apex is smart enough to catch the outage then it can turn off all non essential equipment but leave the low wattage gyre and return pump running with a healthy runtime off the UPS and get me notifications off the home network.

Interesting - glad I found this. Thanks.

Haubfather07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an interesting slide, thanks for sharing. I've not seen it before let alone consider it. Separate AC circuits though is interesting. I know the room my aquarium is in is a single circuit. So if it trips, everything in that room is off - it doesn't matter which of the outlet I'm using. Interesting enough I was placing an order for a tripp lite 1500va / 900w UPS for my NAS and router. Maybe I'll add a second to my cart for my tank. If Apex is smart enough to catch the outage then it can turn off all non essential equipment but leave the low wattage gyre and return pump running with a healthy runtime off the UPS and get me notifications off the home network.

Interesting - glad I found this. Thanks.

Much easier to run a simple Ethernet cable from your BOB through the walls to your other 1500 on your router and use that DB9 output on a different circuit. Way easier than running a second circuit. Doesn’t help automagically if your circuit trips but would at least alert you of that vs total home power outage.

Good luck with your setup. I’m still a couple weeks away from implementation on mine so if you beat me to it would love any feedback!

U

User1

View Badges
Much easier to run a simple Ethernet cable from your BOB through the walls to your other 1500 on your router and use that DB9 output on a different circuit. Way easier than running a second circuit. Doesn’t help automagically if your circuit trips but would at least alert you of that vs total home power outage.

Good luck with your setup. I’m still a couple weeks away from implementation on mine so if you beat me to it would love any feedback!

I will for sure. Not sure who will beat who though - I have a couple weeks of back to back travel so just ordering while the current weather and thunder reminded me :) Also thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into that because they are in separate areas of the house. I'll have to see what options I have available - especially if I can use Ethernet cables and patch panel.

Haubfather07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm happy to report that my Triplite setup is working perfectly with the DB9 to eth to BOB setup. Just set an alert up to trigger if that switch closes. I haven't ran the second ethernet up to my second Tripelite yet to get notifications if it a single circuit or the whole house power that is out. At this point my Apex knows when power is down and runs reduced battery saving mode (still working though setting that up, but power heads and return reduce and optional items shut down) and notifies me of the outage.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have all my equipment powered by a single EB8 which is plugged into a standard UPS. In the event of a power failure, all equipment keeps running until the UPS battery is dead. This is only a few minutes. I would like to extend the runtime of essential equipment, such as the powerhead, but I am not sure exactly how to do that. I was thinking I can buy an EB4 and plug only that wave maker into it. The unit with then run off of the UPS while the equipment on the EB8 is connected straight to the wall outlet.

In order to save myself some money, I was wondering however if the apex could be programmed such that in the event of a power outage, non essential equipment on the EB8 gets switched off, while the wave maker will keep running. Can this be programmed somehow?

I run my setup this way. EB832 plugged into a UPS, 12v supply to Apex base plugged into wall outlet. I then use the following line of code to turn off the items I don't want to run when the power fails:

If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF

This works very well for me. When the power fails, the essential items including return pump will run for 118 minutes. For what it's worth, I have my router on a second UPS so I don't loose connection to the Apex in the event of power failure.

Haubfather07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my setup this way. EB832 plugged into a UPS, 12v supply to Apex base plugged into wall outlet. I then use the following line of code to turn off the items I don't want to run when the power fails:

If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF

This works very well for me. When the power fails, the essential items including return pump will run for 118 minutes. For what it's worth, I have my router on a second UPS so I don't loose connection to the Apex in the event of power failure.

Shouldn't you plug the 12v into a surge only option on your UPS to protect your Apex? Seems like your setup would be a glaring venerability for a surge to wipe out everything. This is speaking from someone who had a power line fall on my house last summer and roast everything (including stove, dishwasher etc) that wasn't on a surge protector. Luckily, I'm in IT and most things were protected. I'm just extra careful now that EVERYTHING is behind one. Even the cheapest/oldest surge protectors seemed to have done their job.

Agreed on the code, that's what I'm using for items that are powering off. I also have the Cor-20 so I'm lowering that way down to lengthen the run time.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't you plug the 12v into a surge only option on your UPS to protect your Apex? Seems like your setup would be a glaring venerability for a surge to wipe out everything. This is speaking from someone who had a power line fall on my house last summer and roast everything (including stove, dishwasher etc) that wasn't on a surge protector. Luckily, I'm in IT and most things were protected. I'm just extra careful now that EVERYTHING is behind one. Even the cheapest/oldest surge protectors seemed to have done their job.

Agreed on the code, that's what I'm using for items that are powering off. I also have the Cor-20 so I'm lowering that way down to lengthen the run time.
Yes and no. We don't get much (if any) lightning in Southern California and the power lines around my apartment building are routed through the ground. Also, the building itself has redundant surge protectors in the main electrical room to protect the building from power company issues. I'm not too worried where I am currently. Once I move back to the country, the house will be on a full surge protector and extra precautions will be implemented.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back