API general cure vs fritz paracleanse?

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering which one to get? Here in Canada I can’t find api general cure anywhere but I can get the fritz paracleanse tomorrow but the general cure would take 2-4 weeks to get here and that’s if it even gets across the border. Only reason I’m asking is because everywhere I look people use general cure but another thread I looked at said you could use either or. Fritz claims to have the exact same amount of metronidazole (250mg) and praziquantel (75mg) I think my new flasher has either intestinal worms or internal parasites (flagellates) due to white stringy poop

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m wondering which one to get? Here in Canada I can’t find api general cure anywhere but I can get the fritz paracleanse tomorrow but the general cure would take 2-4 weeks to get here and that’s if it even gets across the border. Only reason I’m asking is because everywhere I look people use general cure but another thread I looked at said you could use either or. Fritz claims to have the exact same amount of metronidazole (250mg) and praziquantel (75mg) I think my new flasher has either intestinal worms or internal parasites (flagellates) due to white stringy poop
Be very careful with treatments unless you have verified cause. Often wih white poop, it is assumed its intestinal parasites. If you are feeding Mysis shrimp or brine shrimp or both, you may have excess mucus from the fats in those foods which is assumed to be internal issue.
What foods are you feeding ?
With internal issue, you will see pinched belly, loss of appetite and lethargic behavior.

Please provide pics of fish under white lighting and if possible its poop.
Paracleanse would be the best Should it be an internal issue but you sure dont want to administer it if there is no issue at hand.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very careful with treatments unless you have verified cause. Often wih white poop, it is assumed its intestinal parasites. If you are feeding Mysis shrimp or brine shrimp or both, you may have excess mucus from the fats in those foods which is assumed to be internal issue.
What foods are you feeding ?
With internal issue, you will see pinched belly, loss of appetite and lethargic behavior.

Please provide pics of fish under white lighting and if possible its poop.
Paracleanse would be the best Should it be an internal issue but you sure dont want to administer it if there is no issue at hand.
I’m feeding mysis shrimp I’ll get pics of it tomorrow. Only reason that really made me think it was intestinal parasites was because it was doing it right from when I got it and put it in the tank

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m feeding mysis shrimp I’ll get pics of it tomorrow. Only reason that really made me think it was intestinal parasites was because it was doing it right from when I got it and put it in the tank
Ask your LFS what they were feeding, it might be the same feed. Mysis is pretty standard.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Many pet stores will feed brine and mysis shrimp as it is the most enticing and cost effective for newly acquired fish and I know because I did the same thing at my LFS. Brine is most popular as it is the lowest cost at wholesale for an LFS

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many pet stores will feed brine and mysis shrimp as it is the most enticing and cost effective for newly acquired fish and I know because I did the same thing at my LFS. Brine is most popular as it is the lowest cost at wholesale for an LFS
I got this one from a wholesaler that a store I order from gets their fish, it was my first fish from them. You would know if the wholesalers also feed mysis like the LFS, I would think they do?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I got this one from a wholesaler that a store I order from gets their fish, it was my first fish from them. You would know if the wholesalers also feed mysis like the LFS, I would think they do?
They likely do the same and a couple of mine fed flakes

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the same thing. As long as dose properly this is a very safe product and most fish tolerate it well. As you've likely noticed I'm pretty anti med, but this is even one I have no.problem with using prophylactically. Just make sure to dose to water volume not tank size, and keep water aerated. If fish show undue stress you can rescue easily by a water change, and split dose into 3rds spread across the day.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are essentially the same product, but remember, the only worm they treat are tapeworms, and those don't cause white feces. The metronidazole treats protozoans and those CAN cause white feces, but so can diet (as explained).

Jay

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the same thing. As long as dose properly this is a very safe product and most fish tolerate it well. As you've likely noticed I'm pretty anti med, but this is even one I have no.problem with using prophylactically. Just make sure to dose to water volume not tank size, and keep water aerated. If fish show undue stress you can rescue easily by a water change, and split dose into 3rds spread across the day.
I would be soaking the food in it with focus rather then dosing the whole tank with it. Glad to hear that it’s no problem to use as it seems that me and you have a similar outlook on meds. Thank you

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good experience lately with a different dewormer called fenbendazole

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, I found this on the tail of my flasher, any ideas?
8C4210C1-DD1D-4B2D-B875-4C69CF7E0AB3.jpeg

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little white dot at the bottom end of the tail
I wouldn’t worry about that if he is eating and swimming right. Maybe just an optical illusion. Maybe it’s remanent of the slime coat that he slept in. Maybe it’s the sand that his slime coat has picked up.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about that if he is eating and swimming right. Maybe just an optical illusion. Maybe it’s remanent of the slime coat that he slept in. Maybe it’s the sand that his slime coat has picked up.
Ok thank you, I appreciate the help

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.9%
Back