Apogee SQ-420 vs SQ-520 for LED's

Peter K

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 26, 2016
Messages
298
Reaction score
390
Location
Garner
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So I'm really wanting to get a PAR meter and was looking at the apogee usb ones, but I run only LED's so I was wondering if the extra $100+ for the SQ-520 is worth it over the SQ-420. I have seen reviews where they say the margin of error isn't that much different or there is a correction equation can that be used. Does anyone have experience with the SQ-420 on LED's?

Thanks all!
 
Looks like a recent thread on the topic here that got more traction:
Apogee SQ-420 USB Par Meter | REEF2REEF Saltwater and ...

I'm leaning towards the SQ-420 myself. Looks like the biggest area of concern is in the ~400-450nm range where, the SQ-420 response drops off significantly, however in BRS's testing they showed that even with a very blue light the response was only ~12% low.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brstv-investigates-what-par-meter-is-the-best/
sq_xxx_spectral_response.jpg
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new