Approach to biofilter start up (rock discussion)

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For heavily uncured rocks, take a kitchen knife and scrape off obvious things not likely to live in a reef, there isnt a requirement to let it all die off internally in the tank, you can surgically pre cure it and remove destined to be lost mass such as tunicates, sponges, algae tufts, various slimes, vermitids, all the things on real live rock

you‘re in it for the bacteria not so much the top growths, cure away, force it with knife surgery and sw rinse till the rock is clean and ready.

those rocks have been tracked on seneye before which really helps to at minimum know if we’re dealing in toxic levels of ammonia even during an unassisted cure and they always pass as ok/within range. So adding a little to a sump isn’t likely a big deal, and an ideal diversity boost, only very bad shipping such as busted open box + sits on Miami tarmac for eight hours etc would be bad
Thanks! Great advice on the knife scraping.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For heavily uncured rocks, take a kitchen knife and scrape off obvious things not likely to live in a reef, there isnt a requirement to let it all die off internally in the tank, you can surgically pre cure it and remove destined to be lost mass such as tunicates, sponges, algae tufts, various slimes, vermitids, all the things on real live rock

you‘re in it for the bacteria not so much the top growths, cure away, force it with knife surgery and sw rinse till the rock is clean and ready.

those rocks have been tracked on seneye before which really helps to at minimum know if we’re dealing in toxic levels of ammonia even during an unassisted cure and they always pass as ok/within range. So adding a little to a sump isn’t likely a big deal, and an ideal diversity boost, only very bad shipping such as busted open box + sits on Miami tarmac for eight hours etc would be bad
So are you suggesting that if I get rocks that look like this, I should scrape off all of the "top growths"?
live.jpg

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much advice here, but I like following along and I think you're getting good guidance.

Personally I could not resist turning the lights on once I had a fish.

You seem like a planner. I would love to hear your plan for fish and coral.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to have you along! I am getting a house remodel done (well started), so I have nothing to do but plan and spend money slowly until the first of the year when I can get the tank wet. This is what I am thinking for livestock. The ones in blue I feel strongly about. The rest we will see how the tank progresses.

stock.jpg

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to have you along! I am getting a house remodel done (well started), so I have nothing to do but plan and spend money slowly until the first of the year when I can get the tank wet. This is what I am thinking for livestock. The ones in blue I feel strongly about. The rest we will see how the tank progresses.

stock.jpg
Nice. I just added a pink streaked wrasse. I heard that they are a little more outgoing than the possum wrasse, but I don't have firsthand experience. Both cool fish.

I have no idea what to do for coral, but I am a Tailspot Blenny away from being done with fish and probably Inverts.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back