Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So - recently had a problem with my tank - lost a bunch of coral - didnt add anything new - did a little moving around - and saw - (for the first time) - an aptasia. I'm tempted to leave it - because its not doing anything and its 'increasing diversity'. But - I wondered Is aptasia 'Friend or Foe - and 'why' - comment?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty indifferent about them. I try to get rid of the ones that I can but they aren't worth freaking out about.

I guess they can sting corals though Ihaven't personally witnessed it.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make Kelk paste and put it on them. They die. I have only found two on same rock I got and that was a while ago. I was afraid because of what I read but honestly they were not hurting anything but I’m not sure how fast they would reproduce and didn’t want to take the chance.

If I had no corals i may have just left it. Idk. But I’ve been treating as foe.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dealt with them until I saw my yasha watchmen goby get eaten by an aiptasia. :mad:RIP goby friend. After that I did anything possible to get rid of them... Aiptasia x, joes juice, kalk paste... nothing worked! They hunker down for a bit but always came back. I just upgraded my tank and switched to all dry Marco rock to hopefully never have to deal with them again. I hate aiptasia!! ;Stop Get rid of ‘em!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They sting neighbor coral and multiply faster than mice.
Get rid of it sooner than later

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting replies - I have never had it - until I found one after 6 years - and at least a year after adding anything to the tank.

chowberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree with "foe". A long time ago I had an Aqua Pod and received a colony with some aptasia on it - I didn't think anything of it at the time. Quickly all 24 gallons was covered with aptasia and there was no room for my corals. I remember getting something called Joe's Juice (not sure if that's still around) to get rid of it, but it grew faster than I could eradicate it.

In my new tank I was careful to not introduce it in, however now I'm battling vermetid snails. LOL

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beast!

I've had aptasia in my systems probably forever. I have some old photos of my 65 gallon and they were huge and covering everything and impossible to destroy.

I've been managing them the last few years in my 29 gallon, peppermint shrimp for a while then various products. They have been multiplying a bit recently and I need to hit them this weekend. They grow BETWEEN my zoa colonies and yes they do sting them. They are also in spots where I want to put other corals.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting replies - I have never had it - until I found one after 6 years - and at least a year after adding anything to the tank.
I kinda had the same logic till the day I did want to remove it hit with aiptasia x and about 2 days later that one turned to about 10 small ones all right next to each other and been stinging a couple of my corals

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back