Aptasia - Is this guy harmful?

reefjonny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See pic below, this Aptasia is huge...I did have a few of them and used peppermint shrimp to control their growth. I have no more shrimp and this one has remained in the tank. A few questions:

- Is he harmful?
- Do I need to remove him?
- If I need to remove, how would I do that?

Thank you,

1609358451135.png

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, yes, and there are a few ways. I am also battleing them, and losing. Aptasia X didn’t work, and now I am trying peppermint shrimp. If they don’t work, I will be moving towards filefish or berghia nudibranch. The filefish may harm my other corals, which is why they are last ditch, and the Nudibranch are expensive.

OP
OP
R

reefjonny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, yes, and there are a few ways. I am also battleing them, and losing. Aptasia X didn’t work, and now I am trying peppermint shrimp. If they don’t work, I will be moving towards filefish or berghia nudibranch. The filefish may harm my other corals, which is why they are last ditch, and the Nudibranch are expensive.
Interesting, this one is far too large for a peppermint shrimp to eat. I'm thinking about trying to grab him with tongs and pulling him out...thoughts?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could work, but risky. They shrink as soon as you get near, and when they feel like they are in danger they will release spores- much like mushrooms. I tried myself, didn’t work

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, just ripping it out would almost certainly lead to it spawning more, as with any other chemical means of death.

A superglue sarcophagus, while not exactly elegant, would work.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always suggested a syringe and boiling water. You don't add any chemicals to the tank and you can direct the flow exactly where you need it. For than one I'd use my trusty 30ml syringe and give it the whole thing about as rapidly as I can push the plunger.

OP
OP
R

reefjonny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always suggested a syringe and boiling water. You don't add any chemicals to the tank and you can direct the flow exactly where you need it. For than one I'd use my trusty 30ml syringe and give it the whole thing about as rapidly as I can push the plunger.
I've quarantined the rock containing the APtaisa in a smaller tank. The challenge is I have 2 large hot pink / blue mushroom attached to the rock. Going to try you hot water method in this tank and see if I can pull him out of there.

Thank you,

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've quarantined the rock containing the APtaisa in a smaller tank. The challenge is I have 2 large hot pink / blue mushroom attached to the rock. Going to try you hot water method in this tank and see if I can pull him out of there.

Thank you,
Have you tried chiseling the aptasia off the rock?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not overcomplicate this. Where there's one there are more so don't stress too much about it spreading. Hit it with kalk paste, lemon juice, boiling water, or whatever you have. Or if you already pulled the rock then just take a knife and dig into the rock until the nem falls off. Oh and get some more peppermint shrimp because this is not your only aiptasia.

OP
OP
R

reefjonny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, how would I do that? Just break that piece of the rock off?
Okay, so I've chipped the mushrooms off the main rock and kept them attached to smaller pieces and relocated in my display tank. I also split the larger rock and believe I've effectively removed the aptaisa. Leaving that rock in my quarantine tank to see if he's gone or somehow returns.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just one...not that size though. I took enough Tunze Coral Gum in a disc shape to cover the sucker. Didn't trim, paste or otherwise irritate it. Smothered him with no warning :) . Gum is still there after a year and no aptasia. If you have just a few...pretty good method. I've since mounted corals on top of the gum (twice actually when first didn't make it).

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not overcomplicate this. Where there's one there are more so don't stress too much about it spreading. Hit it with kalk paste, lemon juice, boiling water, or whatever you have. Or if you already pulled the rock then just take a knife and dig into the rock until the nem falls off. Oh and get some more peppermint shrimp because this is not your only aiptasia.
There are always more than one. Always. I've had a tough time keeping peppermint shrimp alive, but the 4th one I got (still have) ate all the aptasia in my tank (that i know of)

yz25067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line wrasses like them little buggers too and are reef safe! Plus they are a cool addition to the aquarium as long as you don’t have super aggressive fish!

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line wrasses like them little buggers too and are reef safe! Plus they are a cool addition to the aquarium as long as you don’t have super aggressive fish!
I have 6 Line but it never seems to touch the mini Aptasias.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back