Aptasia or Algea?

Sam25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a QT set up for new coral i just got and I’ve noticed these little things. I’ve seen aptasia before when they are big and is obvious but I’m not sure if these are baby aptasia or just algea?

8ECF6D5C-A757-47BF-A3F5-846A65E69D40.png 5ABACB29-A387-46C1-AC01-3A23D1DAA626.png

bryanfuel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like aiptasia to me. You can confirm by poking it and watching it retract. Bet you're glad you use a QT now.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp from everything I have heard are really hit or miss, as is every species that supposedly eats it except filefish and berghia nudibranches.

In a QT tank, I'd be more inclined to try manually killing them, there's a variety of processes, but a superglue tomb I hear works quite well.

bryanfuel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp from everything I have heard are really hit or miss, as is every species that supposedly eats it except filefish and berghia nudibranches.

In a QT tank, I'd be more inclined to try manually killing them, there's a variety of processes, but a superglue tomb I hear works quite well.

I had the opposite experience. I've tried filefish and copperbands and neither touched the aiptasia. Twice now I've done it with peppermint shrimp and both times they worked liked a dream.

That being said, it's still very hit or miss and your best bet of removing them naturally (the best and most thorough way imo) is with berghia nudibranches.

OP
OP
Sam25

Sam25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I have buried larger aptasia under supper glue but theirs are tiny and quite a few. Not sure if i really want to cover the whole rock in supper glue.

Maybe I’ll try a peppermint shrimp. And if it doesn’t eat it at least it’ll be a decorative addition to the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back