Aptasia transmission?

BasementBox

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 5, 2023
Messages
9,306
Reaction score
12,761
Location
new jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I’m currently building and putting fish and CUC in my new 125 gal but I have an urchin and two hermit crabs left in my biocube which is infested with aptasia. My question is will a live hermit crab carry aptasia and it’s cells on its shell or is it safe to carry over? Same for my urchin. Thanks!
 
it's possible but I think unlikely, just inspect them carefully and remove any you see before transferring over.
 
Last edited:
Hi all. I’m currently building and putting fish and CUC in my new 125 gal but I have an urchin and two hermit crabs left in my biocube which is infested with aptasia. My question is will a live hermit crab carry aptasia and it’s cells on its shell or is it safe to carry over? Same for my urchin. Thanks!
Aptasia can end up under rock, plumping, sunp. . . . most anywhere.
 
Best I can tell aptasia can transfer from just a few cells. I don’t think there is any way to eliminate it from a non fowlr tank. It will come in on something even if you don’t see it.

Best bet is to just have preemptive control so you never see it and they just get eaten as they pop up.
 
Hi all. I’m currently building and putting fish and CUC in my new 125 gal but I have an urchin and two hermit crabs left in my biocube which is infested with aptasia. My question is will a live hermit crab carry aptasia and it’s cells on its shell or is it safe to carry over? Same for my urchin. Thanks!
Yes
 
Best I can tell aptasia can transfer from just a few cells. I don’t think there is any way to eliminate it from a non fowlr tank. It will come in on something even if you don’t see it.

Best bet is to just have preemptive control so you never see it and they just get eaten as they pop up.
So other words the urchin as well as the hermit crabs what should I do with them.
 
So other words the urchin as well as the hermit crabs what should I do with them.
With the hermit scrub with a tooth brush and rinse. I doubt will be on urchin. You do a quick transfer method with the urchin.
 
If you are lucky copperbands can survive in a tank. They can also get a taste for lps corals and zoas.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new