Aptasia

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried tilefish and peppermint fish and no luck. If I purchase berghia nudibranch.. should I buy spiral eggs or the berghia nudibranch and let them lay eggs? Oe buy both ? I will remove the shrimp into another tank that I have running.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried tilefish and peppermint fish and no luck. If I purchase berghia nudibranch.. should I buy spiral eggs or the berghia nudibranch and let them lay eggs? Oe buy both ? I will remove the shrimp into another tank that I have running.

I only bought the nudi's (2017) and they laid their own eggs.

Call Ryan at Salty Underground if you need some nudi's and follow his advice.

Good Luck!

saltgeek1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sergifed91 I had pretty good luck with the berghia nudibranch the only catch with them are water quality and numbers. I had a large outbreak in a 400 gallon system and I put in the recommended amount with a few large adults as they lay tons of eggs and released them at the point when your lights are going to set for the night. Then give it time, in my case two weeks and I started to notice a few of the aiptasia were missing. But as I stated before these nudibranchs are very sensitive to water quality (aka, they don't like lots of Nitrates or Phosphates). After three months my tank was completely free, my only regret was not keeping a few aiptasia in a grow-out tank where I could feed these guys till I could find a new home for them.

Best of Luck.

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same situation and someone advised to me boil ro water and inject it into the aptasia once it is warm enough for you to handle and do not do much. You don’t want to shock anything else. I followed that process and no longer have them in my tank. The reason I followed this process is because what kills aptasia could kill BTAs. Low chance though but one I was not willing to take.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only have a few and you have a fairly small tank I would highly recommend some Kalkwasser mixed with some saltwater into a slurry about the consistency of canned milk. Then buy a syringe from the local feed store or on line. Suck up some of the slurry and place the needle directly in from of the anemone's crown and with your pumps off slowly inject a cloud of the slurry over the anemone. It will injest some which will most likely kill it and the little bit that settles on it when it shrivels up will be the nail in the coffin for it. I have had great success with this technique and rarely have I had to hit one more than once!!!

Thats the solution to the problem...now to prevent the problem in the first place. I would seriously consider getting a QT tank and QTing everything that goes in your tank. Trust me when I tell you an Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!! Lets not ask how I know that...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back