OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Reeftown it’s the following generations that do the damage to the aptasia. I know it is hard to be patient when starring into a tank full of aptasia.
I don’t mind being patient but I have been since august. If I had seen even a slight improvement I wouldn’t be worried

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading that fire shrimp can potentially eat berghia nudibranchs(I might be wrong).

But I've had multiple experiences with using berghia nudibranchs, all very good to the point where I would sell all of the extras locally for profit. In my main display, the nudibranchs will usually get rid of them, but after a year or two they'll come back again, which is unfortunately why I don't keep wrasses.

TBH if you put them in August and you don't see a change in your aptasia problem, they are probably gone. Usually my aptasia is gone within 2-3 months of adding 8-10 nudibranchs in my 230 g. I also will only add them into the tank if there is like an uncountable amount of aptasia.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another horrible idea. Where's the face palm emoji
Dude, you are really hard to please. This is a communique forum. All people are allowed to state any opinion they wish. Calling another users idea 'Horrible" is ignores and arrogant. Please be more respectful towards your fellow reefers. It pains me to see how far some of us have fallen. Replacing the rocks is what I would do in a situation where there are literally "Hundreds" of aptasia. I hope you can find the wisdom to consider my POV.

chthao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my old 40 was infested, i bought 5 berghias and very little happened for the first 2 months or so, although i could see one or two at night when all lights were out. I eventually decided to turn my flow way down at night to where the berghias would be able to crawl on the glass and rocks without looking like they were struggling. when i did this, i def notice a huge difference in aiptasia population dropping.

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading that fire shrimp can potentially eat berghia nudibranchs(I might be wrong).

But I've had multiple experiences with using berghia nudibranchs, all very good to the point where I would sell all of the extras locally for profit. In my main display, the nudibranchs will usually get rid of them, but after a year or two they'll come back again, which is unfortunately why I don't keep wrasses.

TBH if you put them in August and you don't see a change in your aptasia problem, they are probably gone. Usually my aptasia is gone within 2-3 months of adding 8-10 nudibranchs in my 230 g. I also will only add them into the tank if there is like an uncountable amount of aptasia.
My gut feeling is they didn’t survive for some reason too. If could find some locally it would help save on shipping. I already spent over $150 and I’m just scared of buying more and the same thing happens

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in Aug I purchased 5 Berghia for about 20-30 aiptasia. No improvement at all, actually way worse probably 100 Aiptasia now. I spent $150 with the shipping for no improvement. So my question is does anyone know how many i would need now and where is the most affordable place to buy some. I’m getting desperate because they are killing my soft corals. I do not have a wrasse or peppermint shrimp so I not sure what happened to the first ones i bought. Thanks in advance!
I'm in the same boat as you. My only suggestion would be to not waste any time with anything in a bottle. They just made things worse for me. I let me berghia feed on a rock full of aiptasia in a acclimation box for a about a month hoping they would start the breeding process. I just let them out about 2 weeks ago or so. Waiting to see something good happen. It takes some time for them to up the population. It will take a little time. Filefish is last for me. I have a clam...

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my old 40 was infested, i bought 5 berghias and very little happened for the first 2 months or so, although i could see one or two at night when all lights were out. I eventually decided to turn my flow way down at night to where the berghias would be able to crawl on the glass and rocks without looking like they were struggling. when i did this, i def notice a huge difference in aiptasia population dropping.
right on with knocking down the flow. All of my wave makers turn off at night. Only the return pump runs.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i emailed salty under ground for there recommendation cause i had put 6 peppermints in months before and never seen them again. they said to remove them or they will eat them. im thinking the same for your fire shrimp but dont really know. email them

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience, Berghia indeed work ( without a doubt )
I'm fortunate enough to have a reefing friend that breeds them. My 200 gallon tank was infested with Aptasia, he gave me 5 Berghia to start of with. Not seeing any improvement I started doubting them. Was given 5 more and waited to see the magic happen. Approx 2 weeks later I started to see Berghia eggs by the hundreds. About a month later all my aptasia were gone.
My pygmy possum and mandarin fish didn't pick on them ( at least not that I know of )

Now that all my apatsia are dead and gone, so are the berghia
Good Luck with your tank

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience, Berghia indeed work ( without a doubt )
I'm fortunate enough to have a reefing friend that breeds them. My 200 gallon tank was infested with Aptasia, he gave me 5 Berghia to start of with. Not seeing any improvement I started doubting them. Was given 5 more and waited to see the magic happen. Approx 2 weeks later I started to see Berghia eggs by the hundreds. About a month later all my aptasia were gone.
My pygmy possum and mandarin fish didn't pick on them ( at least not that I know of )

Now that all my apatsia are dead and gone, so are the berghia
Good Luck with your tank
Can your friend be my friend?

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think about removing the rockscape even though it doesn’t seem right. Aiptasia are the devil and have plagued reefers since way back. If you have 100’s like you said, I would pick off my prized corals and throw my rock into hellfire. It might take a few months to hand pick the rest out with forceps/tweezers from the sand, but definitely would help. That feeling when you get the last visible Aiptasia out ahhhhhh

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i emailed salty under ground for there recommendation cause i had put 6 peppermints in months before and never seen them again. they said to remove them or they will eat them. im thinking the same for your fire shrimp but dont really know. email them
I hope it’s not my fire shrimp. He’s one of my favorites

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as you. My only suggestion would be to not waste any time with anything in a bottle. They just made things worse for me. I let me berghia feed on a rock full of aiptasia in an acclimation box for an about a month hoping they would start the breeding process. I just let them out about 2 weeks ago or so. Waiting to see something good happen. It takes some time for them to up the population. It will take a little time. Filefish is last for me. I have a clam...
I’m not going to try and bottle stuff. There’s just too many in little holes I can’t get to

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had nudies with fire shrimp and a coral banded shrimp with no issues.
I really don’t think it’s my fire shrimp. He’s pretty cool. Just hangs out in a cave. I don’t know how he would eat the eggs down in the rock

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think about removing the rockscape even though it doesn’t seem right. Aiptasia are the devil and have plagued reefers since way back. If you have 100’s like you said, I would pick off my prized corals and throw my rock into hellfire. It might take a few months to hand pick the rest out with forceps/tweezers from the sand, but definitely would help. That feeling when you get the last visible Aiptasia out ahhhhhh
I hope I don’t have to remove the rock but maybe I will

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, you are really hard to please. This is a communique forum. All people are allowed to state any opinion they wish. Calling another users idea 'Horrible" is ignores and arrogant. Please be more respectful towards your fellow reefers. It pains me to see how far some of us have fallen. Replacing the rocks is what I would do in a situation where there are literally "Hundreds" of aptasia. I hope you can find the wisdom to consider my POV.
I said nothing about you as a person, just these couple suggestions from you. I also made no attempt to stop you from giving your opinion. I just gave mine. I'm my opinion throwing the rocks away and starting her tank over is a "horrible idea"(the worse idea) , as is scrubbing the aiptaisia from rocks.
Interesting how the person with "egotistic" in their name is the one calling people names but at the same time talking about respect towards each other. If I were any of the names you called me, I would have called it a "stupid idea", if not worse

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope I don’t have to remove the rock but maybe I will
i wouldnt go that route. i have a lot of rock, the old rock wall look that i like. i thik i had more that i couldnt than i could see. manually killing them i dont think works. i tried it and they kept multiplying untill i had an aptiasia farm. but the nudies cleaned it all up. have to be patient.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my little fish. It doesn't bother anything unless you count Aipasia. Those get eaten very quickly.
I got mine locally and paid too much but after it was done in my outside tank it came inside and clean up that tank also. Voracious, and cheaper for one and will survive after the pests are gone. :cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back