Got Aptasia and a microscope

William Bruckmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be looking into the viability of shipping Berghia Nudibranch egg spirals first class mail instead of overnight.
Berghia eat the pest Aptasia and only Aptasia. They eat, sleep, and make spirals with hundreds babies. Then they die off when your Aptasia is gone, so they are the perfect Aptasia clean up crew. Unfortunately, they are expensive to buy and you need a good number of them to get your colony going. Couple that with $50+ shipping and most people spend north of $150 to get results. I am hoping the egg spirals are hardier than the adult Berghia, and can survive the harsher conditions of 1st class mail instead of overnight. So, if you have Aptasia and a microscope let me know and maybe we can get this experiment off the ground. Berghia larva are active in their egg sac when alive, so that is what you will be looking for. See the video below.

Attachments

• 0001.mp4
    15.6 MB

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be looking into the viability of shipping Berghia Nudibranch egg spirals first class mail instead of overnight.
Berghia eat the pest Aptasia and only Aptasia. They eat, sleep, and make spirals with hundreds babies. Then they die off when your Aptasia is gone, so they are the perfect Aptasia clean up crew. Unfortunately, they are expensive to buy and you need a good number of them to get your colony going. Couple that with $50+ shipping and most people spend north of $150 to get results. I am hoping the egg spirals are hardier than the adult Berghia, and can survive the harsher conditions of 1st class mail instead of overnight. So, if you have Aptasia and a microscope let me know and maybe we can get this experiment off the ground. Berghia larva are active in their egg sac when alive, so that is what you will be looking for. See the video below.

man I needed you 6 months ago my RS 650P was overgrow with it. spread way faster than I thought it would. sadly i took the tank down.

but LOVE this idea hopfully it works out and we find a better solution for Aptasia control.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm game -- my secondary tank is infested with aiptasias! I bought 3 peppermint shrimps but have not seen an impact to the aiptasia population lately. Besides, I have seen those shrimps in the last 2 weeks. Heard they're nocturnal or worse -- been eaten? I have mostly tangs and no wrasses though.

Anyway, I'll be very happy to participate and will buy a microscope to confirm the egg's health. I'm on the West Coast & happy to pay for shipping to test things out.

OP
OP
William Bruckmann

William Bruckmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm game -- my secondary tank is infested with aiptasias! I bought 3 peppermint shrimps but have not seen an impact to the aiptasia population lately. Besides, I have seen those shrimps in the last 2 weeks. Heard they're nocturnal or worse -- been eaten? I have mostly tangs and no wrasses though.

Anyway, I'll be very happy to participate and will buy a microscope to confirm the egg's health. I'm on the West Coast & happy to pay for shipping to test things out.
Awesome....Sorry for the delay...my adult spiral layers died and am just now getting new spirals from the younger ones. These first spirals are usually pretty light on eggs but their 2nd batch are usually full. I will be in touch when I get some full spirals.

OP
OP
William Bruckmann

William Bruckmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I'm slow at times. What exactly do you need from us? The ability to verify the eggs are still alive when they arrive and aptasia for them to eat?
Correct... a cheap $20 ebay microscope should do it. You don't necessarily need Aptasi. You could just dump them down the drain. Survivability, after 3-5 days in the mail is all I am interested in.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to have a microscope that fits this requirement! I also have a LFS that can supply food nems for a return journey.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how long it takes for the eggs to develop? It's an interesting idea, but without much water or food, you may have best results with newly laid eggs, giving the maximum incubation time in transit. There's also some chance that temperature will play a big role in development speed, so even in first class mail, it may be good to try and use a small insulated box over a padded envelope or something, just to limit the speed of fluctuations and hopefully the maximum excursion.

To make sure the eggs are newest, you could probably devise some substrate you add in to where they're kept that they like to lay on, and then rotate it out daily to make sure collected eggs are no more than a day old when shipped.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea.

Disclaimer-I am biased as I sell adult Berghia (which I think are the better product), but as you say are expensive mostly because it is a pain in the behind to grow enough aiptasia to raise/feed them. Adult Berghia do not ship well unless you use overnight.

My suggestion-if you are trying to come up with a cheaper way to do this, why not just try shipping larvae or small juveniles? These are easy to generate and viability after delivery is easily verified with a simple hand lens. Even the little guys will survive 2-3 days without food, and you could just include a couple of tiny aiptasia in the container anyway. For small juveniles even an 8 ounce jar is virtually an ocean of water so there probably won’t be any issues with oxygen depletion, ammonia, etc.

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try mailing some to yourself. That would probably work well and you can put them back in your own tank

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back