Reaching Aptasia Underneath Rocks

AvoidTheNoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,

I experienced an outbreak of Aptasia after I was unexpectedly out of town for a month and wasn't able to do my normal husbandry. I use Brightwell Kalk+2 with a Red Sea AptasiaX syringe and it works very well on the aptasias that are on the top or sides of the rocks. The issue is with aphasia that are on the underside of the rock. Is there a hook syringe that you are using to destroy aptasias that are in difficult to reach areas? I would love to use a Berghia Nudibranch but my Diamond Watchman Goby eats everything in the tank. Thanks for your insight/experience

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,

I experienced an outbreak of Aptasia after I was unexpectedly out of town for a month and wasn't able to do my normal husbandry. I use Brightwell Kalk+2 with a Red Sea AptasiaX syringe and it works very well on the aptasias that are on the top or sides of the rocks. The issue is with aphasia that are on the underside of the rock. Is there a hook syringe that you are using to destroy aptasias that are in difficult to reach areas? Thanks for your insight/experience
Two ways.
1/8” ridge airline, curved upwards 180 ish degrees, a syringe and Aptasia f or X.

Some 2 part underwater expoxy or gum, and stick it right over.
You can peel it off later if you wish.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Using any kind of kalk paste or aiptasia killer will be nearly impossible on rocks you can't turn over. Those products need to sit on the aiptasias for a few minutes to be effective. Even if you were to direct a kalk paste to the underside of a rock, it will float free and most likely land on a coral. In my tanks even with all of the flow off, free floating kalk paste is attracted to corals.
Peppermint shrimp or berghias seem the best option for the underside of rocks.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what most people would choose to do but I'm starting to leave them alone. When I was trying to remove them with aiptasia x etc. It seemed like they just spread everywhere. I now have a few large ones but it's much better than tens or even hundreds of little ones IMO

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was trying to remove them with aiptasia x
Adding 5 to 10% (dryweight) sodium hydroxide into Kalk (calcium hydroxide) powder, then mixing into a thick yogurt sticks to most things, just used some this very day in the wife’s overflow;

image.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it accurate to say those treatments you're using actually dont work, since they left aiptasia in the system?

let's remove the rock and surgically remove the anemones once and for all. )everyone says I can't remove the rocks at this point, excuses begin)

sure you can remove them. if you lift out the rocks for external work, nobody is going to come arrest you, you can 100% for sure remove those rocks for the correct job and then you set them back aiptasia free vs partially killed + spreading aiptasia. skipping the hard work once is why you have the issue

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it accurate to say those treatments you're using actually dont work, since they left aiptasia in the system?

let's remove the rock and surgically remove the anemones once and for all. )everyone says I can't remove the rocks at this point, excuses begin)

sure you can remove them. if you lift out the rocks for external work, nobody is going to come arrest you, you can 100% for sure remove those rocks for the correct job and then you set them back aiptasia free vs partially killed + spreading aiptasia. skipping the hard work once is why you have the issue
You talking to me?

OP
OP
A

AvoidTheNoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using any kind of kalk paste or aiptasia killer will be nearly impossible on rocks you can't turn over. Those products need to sit on the aiptasias for a few minutes to be effective. Even if you were to direct a kalk paste to the underside of a rock, it will float free and most likely land on a coral. In my tanks even with all of the flow off, free floating kalk paste is attracted to corals.
Peppermint shrimp or berghias seem the best option for the underside of rocks.
I had 5 peppermint shrimp that were all decent sized and they coexisted for a year but once the goby got to 4 inches, he ate all of them :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back