Aptasia

NanoMan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia in my nano. Aptasia X is not working. Anything else I can try? The harder I try to remove the more it seems to grow. I will hit each one with Aptasia X and a day or two I get a bigger colony somewhere else in my tank.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a couple of peppermint shrimp but they can be hit or miss on their effectiveness. Berghia nudibranchs are another option all they eat are aiptasia.

Upvote 0

nicksreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aiptasia eating file fish - hit and miss though a bit like the ole peppermint shrimp solution - my one didn't hit the big ones but will happily chow down on new ones before they get to any size.

the other one (diff tank) clearly isn't aware they're edible - aiptasia X and patience!

Upvote 0

Nachopapa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aiptasia eating file fish - hit and miss though a bit like the ole peppermint shrimp solution - my one didn't hit the big ones but will happily chow down on new ones before they get to any size.

the other one (diff tank) clearly isn't aware they're edible - aiptasia X and patience!
Agree with this. We have one in main tank and one in 32g biocube. Both were infested and now 0.

Upvote 0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
F-Aiptaisa is another option that has worked for me.

Upvote 0

GATOR DAVE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon waterbox and 2 peppermint shrimp did the trick and I haven’t seen any since. I also have coral and haven’t seen any nipping as of yet. I feed mysis, and my peppermint will eat that when there is no aiptasia to snack on.

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Peppermint shrimp and they ignored the aiptasia - one actually set up home under the arms of an Aiptasia.
I tried an Aiptasia eating filefish and it almost ate $1000 worth of scoly's overnight.

Made DIY killer and that works really well. It's basically a much stronger version of Aiptasia-X.

You can make it using food grade Sodium Hydroxide (6g NaOH in 50ml RODI).
It is dangerous to you and coral as well as Aiptasia - but it works very well when used carefully.

Upvote 0

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for a true Aptasia eating Peppermint shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni). Some look-alike species don't touch Aptasia at all. I am lucky to have a true one in my 20-gallon tank that is free from Aptasia now.

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for a true Aptasia eating Peppermint shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni). Some look-alike species don't touch Aptasia at all. I am lucky to have a true one in my 20-gallon tank that is free from Aptasia now.
Real peppermint shrimp are touch and go.
I have half a dozen of them and they wont touch Aiptasia.

Some times you just get lucky

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back