Aqua-balance: Do you work to keep your nitrates stable?

Do you work to keep your nitrates stable?

• Yes, I actively work to lower my nitrates.

Votes: 71 20.8%
  • I just try to keep nitrates from getting too far out of range.

Votes: 169 49.6%
  • I don’t really pay attention to the nitrates in my tank.

Votes: 71 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 30 8.8%

• Total voters

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of amazed by some of the responses about nitrate and all the people that actually dose nitrate (the stump destroyer one has always raised an eyebrow lol) and phosphate. I've had numerous tanks over the years and never had a low nitrate issue (or phosphate for that matter). Just curious the situation and cause. If I were to guess it would be people with mostly acro tanks chasing ultra low nutrients with little or no fish or other animals in the tank and minimal bio diversity?? Also going to guess no sandbed.
I think virtually everyone who starts a new tank with no live rock or sand runs into this issue.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Unfortunately" i involuntarily keep an ultra low nutrient system. Its a 33g long system thats understocked for a few unfortunate reasons and test results always come back 0 for phosphates and nitrates despite heavy manual dosing of neonitro and neophos.

Not to say these products aren't working, they are, its jusy my fuge is working a bit *too* well and i need to keep tuning it until my nutrients can constantly stay above 0
I had the same issue. the best decision i ever made was to remove the chaeto, that's what's holding you back. Then, if you need to lower nutrients just dose NoPoX as needed.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closer I watch nitrate and phosphate, the more tendency I have to mess with them, and the worse my tank looks for it. In my hobby experience, my tanks are always happier when I just ignore N&P and stay regular with feeding and water changes.
After > 50 years of Reefing, I have leaned not to sweat the small stuff and after 75 years on Earthm it’s all small stuff.

With unopened 10 year old test kits, I am not big on micro managing mature systems. For me, the adventure is to achieve harmony & balance in what Oceaneering 101 called Dynamic Equilibrium.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep a balance but i like higher nutrients. I like my NO3 to be 20+ and po4 .15+. Lately the po4 has been .3-.4 and the tank sows a bit. Trying not to use GFO at the moment.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second tank was doing so well and N&P were climbing, esp N was > 30. Part of my low/zero maintenance program, I added chaeto to the fuge. Well, things took a nose dive since I haven't been testing lately -- both N&P bottom'ed out and now I'm dosing N&P to bring them back up! SPS didn't like it and some frags actually STN'ed :(

I've removed chaeto since it was working too well & hard to control. Lessons learned, ain't going back to chaeto in the future -- keep it simple and let nutrients rise.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back