Aqua-balance: Do you work to keep your nitrates stable?

Do you work to keep your nitrates stable?

• Yes, I actively work to lower my nitrates.

Votes: 71 20.8%
  • I just try to keep nitrates from getting too far out of range.

Votes: 169 49.6%
  • I don’t really pay attention to the nitrates in my tank.

Votes: 71 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 30 8.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

In addition to calcium, and alkalinity, nitrates and phosphates are some of the most commonly tested chemicals in an aquarium. In fact, understanding the nitrogen cycle is an important part of setting up a tank. Even after the tank is up and going, managing nitrates will continue to be key in developing and maintaining a heathy and thriving reef tank.

Pro Tip: Although low nitrates may not be as crucial when keeping a fish only system, it is still beneficial to track and manage nitrates with a much higher end to the range. Additionally, whether you are dealing with fish or coral it is recommended to not chase numbers and (generally speaking) do not make quick changes to the nitrate parameters.

JustJohn_NitrateTest.jpeg

Photo by @Just John

For more information on nitrates, you may be interested in reading this article by Randy Holmes-Farley from the archives:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/nitrate-in-the-reef-aquarium.10/

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com

TSABanner.png

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.” TSABanner3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I test occasionally but utilize both skimmer and algae scrubber in which scrubber has done a tremendous job in keeping my levels low

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My NO3 is chronically low no matter what I do. I'm feeding 3 times a day and started dosing fritz fish less fuel ammonia.

My system still gets what it needs in ammonium, that's what coral prefer anyway. (my pro tip)

20230607_163649.jpg
I actually am dealing with this issue as well..may have to start dosing fritz like you.

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say I work at it but I do need to keep nitrates low for the health of my Peacock mantis shrimp. Nitrates chronically higher than 10ppm = shell rot.

I grow macro, lots and lots of red macro - botryocladia, dragons breath, and gracillaria. Some green nuisance algae even makes an appearance from time to time but not enough to make the tank unsightly.

Once macro gets going it’s an easy and effective nutrient control tool.

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I plan on trying to keep them reasonably low but detectable ranges, since I will have a refugium in the setup. I figure some nitrates will be good for the macroalgae, and keeping it too low would starve them out. TBH so far I haven't had too much to keep them down though, seems like the cycle keeps things around 1.2 or lower for the most part, and I do a water change once it starts to creep up closer to 2.0 ppm, which seems to bring it back down to closer to 0.5 ppm and I let it creep its way back up.

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say I work at it but I do need to keep nitrates low for the health of my Peacock mantis shrimp. Nitrates chronically higher than 10ppm = shell rot.

I grow macro, lots and lots of red macro - botryocladia, dragons breath, and gracillaria. Some green nuisance algae even makes an appearance from time to time but not enough to make the tank unsightly.

Once macro gets going it’s an easy and effective nutrient control tool.
Strange question, but do red algae use up more nitrates than green ones? Or does it have higher needs? Just curious cause I know very little about macroalgae and setting up a refugium, and I tend to lean more toward the red ones.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test 2-3 times per week for all the major parameters. I carbon dose to handle nitrates and as long as that's dialed in correctly it keeps me in the 8-14 range generally depending on what I feed the corals.

Wizard677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could keep my Nitrates in check. 20% water change every 2 weeks. Vacuum sandbed. Run Bubble Magus curve 7 skimmer, Reefmat 500, feed 3 frozen cubes once a day to 11 fish with 1 sheet of Norie. 90 Gallon system. 2 cleaner shrimp, about 10 hermits, large number of snails. 2 Gyres at moderate flow. Dual reactor for GFO / Carbon.....30 to 40ppm by end of 2 weeks before water change, everytime. About to start NoPoX

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are predictable between 15-20 ppm I only would worry if they started heading toward zero . The coral uptake , fish load , and feeding amount and schedule seems to balance out and has been this way for a long time . Phosphates are pretty much what I have to adjust every once in a while . I use a skimmer and a refugium .

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much stopped chasing nitrates because no matter what they tend to run high even with skimmer, ozone, bio pellet reactor, sandbed and refugium (restarted and pretty new). Here lately been doing 40g changes every couple weeks to get it back into the realm of reason as part of a remodel. Phosphates pretty much the same but when they get a bit much, I run GFO. Of course, I run a mixed reef with lots of fish, LPS and softies these days with not much in the way of SPS anymore. I suspect most of those issues are all part of old tank syndrome (almost 10 years). I actually just checked nitrates (Hanna) and up to 45ppm and doing another water change this weekend anyway. In reality now that I have a second tank going, I need to move all the sand bed inhabitants to the new tank and do some serious sandbed cleaning even if I do lose some pods, mini stars and worms. Interesting thing is I have not had any algae issues in years or problems with fish and corals.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nitrate level to determine when I do my water changes. I try to keep it in a range of 10-20 ppm for sps, and 20-40 ppm for lps and softies.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In addition to calcium, and alkalinity, nitrates and phosphates are some of the most commonly tested chemicals in an aquarium. In fact, understanding the nitrogen cycle is an important part of setting up a tank. Even after the tank is up and going, managing nitrates will continue to be key in developing and maintaining a heathy and thriving reef tank.

Pro Tip: Although low nitrates may not be as crucial when keeping a fish only system, it is still beneficial to track and manage nitrates with a much higher end to the range. Additionally, whether you are dealing with fish or coral it is recommended to not chase numbers and (generally speaking) do not make quick changes to the nitrate parameters.

JustJohn_NitrateTest.jpeg

Photo by @Just John

For more information on nitrates, you may be interested in reading this article by Randy Holmes-Farley from the archives:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/nitrate-in-the-reef-aquarium.10/

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com

TSABanner.png

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.” TSABanner3.jpeg
Love the color chart. That's why if there's a Hanna test for it I BUY IT! Of course the result could be off but I have a NUMBER and I'm going with it lol!

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me i have been trying to keep NO3 from bottoming out. This only started happening recently after i purchased an extra 25 lbs of LR from TB saltwater. PO4 is stable at 0.03 to 0.07 but i have to dose about 2 ml of nitrate every third day or so to keep it off zero.

i DO NOT want a 4th bout with dinos!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closer I watch nitrate and phosphate, the more tendency I have to mess with them, and the worse my tank looks for it. In my hobby experience, my tanks are always happier when I just ignore N&P and stay regular with feeding and water changes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back