OP
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The non stick sps are doing ok. This Favia is doing great. Here are progress pics. What It looked like when I brought it home.
9891D9E0-FEEC-4B00-9932-FB4141A3C0B3.jpeg

And now it’s growing off the plug! I’ll take the small victory!
0FC66BD2-7B93-45A3-82DA-1DDD16BA7242.jpeg

OP
OP
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the sps sticks I’ve tried keep dying. The digi and the birds nest. I put in another birds nest after I installed the frag rack since I thought the other might of died because of landing on a mushroom. Still, it slowly lost flesh.

The good, everything else is doing ok. The bare bottom is getting covered in nice pinks and some red coralline.

We lost power for around 16 hrs because of wind storms and firesTemp dropped to 74. Haven’t noticed anything bad because of it.
Its been about a month since I removed the Urchin. So far the Turf alga has been kept in check.

E4184EB9-2E42-4A5E-B78B-F033D3410EFF.jpeg

Mother takes up some space when fully inflated! About 4 inches!
6A9C0986-01AA-42B5-9770-E37E11C42C2D.jpeg
New additions, couple of favia. Sorry for the blue pic, took out a bulb to acclimate the new comers.
B416CFEE-E914-476A-81D3-F29C04EC8D87.jpeg

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the sps sticks I’ve tried keep dying. The digi and the birds nest. I put in another birds nest after I installed the frag rack since I thought the other might of died because of landing on a mushroom. Still, it slowly lost flesh.

The good, everything else is doing ok. The bare bottom is getting covered in nice pinks and some red coralline.

We lost power for around 16 hrs because of wind storms and firesTemp dropped to 74. Haven’t noticed anything bad because of it.
Its been about a month since I removed the Urchin. So far the Turf alga has been kept in check.

E4184EB9-2E42-4A5E-B78B-F033D3410EFF.jpeg

Mother takes up some space when fully inflated! About 4 inches!
6A9C0986-01AA-42B5-9770-E37E11C42C2D.jpeg
New additions, couple of favia. Sorry for the blue pic, took out a bulb to acclimate the new comers.
B416CFEE-E914-476A-81D3-F29C04EC8D87.jpeg
Aww I’m sorry about your sps :(. One day it’ll happen, I can’t keep sps to save my life in one of my tanks and I have no idea why because all my tanks are connected so it’s not the water. Your shroom is incredible though!!! If I had a tank just full of yumas that we’re as gorgeous as your big momma I’d be incredibly happy! That starry blenny is a very pretty boy!!! Beautiful tank and I’m glad the disasters haven’t made anything go wrong!!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Branching SPS can be tough to figure out, but that's part of the reefing adventure :)

Besides proper acclimation, meeting the energy needs of these fast growing Acros and BNs without degrading water quality is the trick.

Probably the easiest guides to follow from Tidal Gardens:

Seriatopora:

Acropora:

I have had Acros in my 12g, but once they took off they just grow too large too fast. I find Seriatopora are easier to manage since their colonies tend to stay smaller and their typically thinner branches are much easier to prune.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation, I’m probably over doing it.
Lights off, float for 15 min for temp. then I open bag and add water from my tank every 10 to 15 min. Floating in my tank the whole time. Total time 45min to1 hr.

Water params, Alk is between 7-8
N might be considered high, 30-40 last check
P is less than 1ppm with a Hanna low reader

LFS WATER, PO4 is higher than my meter will read. N is around the same as my tank. Alk is also around 7-8.

I removed my finger leather, and I’m probably gonna move the Toadstool also. Start limiting the variables. To my knowledge, Leathers are the worst for emitting coral toxin? (Aleopathy?)

Tidal gardens does have great video and info!

OP
OP
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water flow, also important. Still trying to figure this one out for SPS. Easy to see if my mushrooms or Zenia are getting to much or not enough.

Need to better observe the flow at the LFS. To my eye, the monti digi there, the polys are barely moving, if at all.
I may have to much direct flow on where I placed the digi. The journey continues!

Appreciate the feedback!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation, I’m probably over doing it.
Lights off, float for 15 min for temp. then I open bag and add water from my tank every 10 to 15 min. Floating in my tank the whole time. Total time 45min to1 hr.

Water params, Alk is between 7-8
N might be considered high, 30-40 last check
P is less than 1ppm with a Hanna low reader

LFS WATER, PO4 is higher than my meter will read. N is around the same as my tank. Alk is also around 7-8.

I removed my finger leather, and I’m probably gonna move the Toadstool also. Start limiting the variables. To my knowledge, Leathers are the worst for emitting coral toxin? (Aleopathy?)

Tidal gardens does have great video and info!

Should specify, 'acclimation to the lighting' (your acclimation method is fine). Typical is to start the frag off in lower light on the sand bed and then gradually bring it closer to it's final location in steps within a week or so. Another option is to mount the frag(s) where you want them, but lower the lighting when the frag(s) are introduced...then gradually bring lighting back to normal in 4-5 days. Some more advanced lighting arrays have this feature called 'acclimation mode' (or something similar).

LFS water with high PO4 is not good. I make my own SW in a 5g bucket and to keep it really simple I don't use a heater or circulation (just keep it covered with the lid at all times). This works as I do a 5% WC 2x week, at which time I circulate the water.

I had problems start with a Sunset Monti at 40-50 ppm NO3, so would suggest getting that down to at least 20 ppm (5-10 would be even better for SPS). You PO4 is okay.

Leathers and Toadstools are types known to emit toxins. Some counter the effect with GAC (should be replaced monthly, at least, to stay effective) and are successful keeping them with SPS as long as there aren't too many (or they are too big). Personally, I don't have any in my small nano partly for this reason and partly because they just grow too large.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water flow, also important. Still trying to figure this one out for SPS. Easy to see if my mushrooms or Zenia are getting to much or not enough.

Need to better observe the flow at the LFS. To my eye, the monti digi there, the polys are barely moving, if at all.
I may have to much direct flow on where I placed the digi. The journey continues!

Appreciate the feedback!
I have lost M. digitata frags in the past by having too much flow directed directly at them. Best is chaotic water movement vs. directed water flow in direction (think water flowing out of a swirling bucket vs. water flow coming out of a garden hose nozzle in one direction only). The rotating nozzles from Hydor or IM's Spinstream are great in producing this type of flow in small-medium sized systems.

OP
OP
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7E319F04-191D-4C0D-A751-B430A0D186D5.jpeg

the birds nest that I lost awhile back. Growing coralline instead of green algae. So is the frag rack. Sticks just don’t like me I guess! Lol.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grew up having fresh water tanks. Almost always had at least 1 fresh once I had my own place. Was always drawn to the salt section at pet shops. So when my wife and I found and bought our forever home I knew it was finally time to dart one.
My first reef tank was born in 2016.
47033707-CE58-4CD4-B043-4C3D6F1844EF.jpeg

Very basic setup. HOB filter, powerhead and heater. Rock from petco. lots of rock! Thought I needed that much. Not exactly sure how many pounds. Light originally was a T12 from an old fresh tank. Then upgraded right away to T5HO 4 bulb that I got at a plant shop.
D10D07B9-E165-4C50-9BAD-3CD828E10050.jpeg
B7D196E3-7903-4A23-BCA4-5248AA714540.jpeg

Petco is the closest shop and we have other pets so we go there often. So at the time most livestock was coming from there. Starting with easy stuff that hopefully I wouldn’t kill.
50D8FC67-5587-4BE1-8694-8D06F86D382F.jpeg
AFD81A60-8178-4B7F-9CD1-0040983615D6.jpeg
80D703C8-45F9-4E73-97C8-C160BF967D8D.jpeg
CC9FCF6A-2BE4-4601-8A63-6E825B623D96.jpeg

First fish was a blue Damsel. Accidentally killed it. Next was a pair of Clowns and then later added a Neon dottyback. They seemed to get along for the most part.

Almost forgot! Lol tank is a 20gal tall. Thanks for looking I’ll post some progress pics later.
Like it. looking good.

OP
OP
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You like the Yuma?!
90D5A139-A39B-4E0A-AB07-007F688281E7.jpeg

me too. Just finished up a water change yesterday. The mother here sure showed appreciation for it! I’ve had her in this tank for five years. Survived all my ups and downs.
@footgal any idea why yours don’t do well?
@ShepherdReefer, thanks for stopping by!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You like the Yuma?!
90D5A139-A39B-4E0A-AB07-007F688281E7.jpeg

me too. Just finished up a water change yesterday. The mother here sure showed appreciation for it! I’ve had her in this tank for five years. Survived all my ups and downs.
@footgal any idea why yours don’t do well?
@ShepherdReefer, thanks for stopping by!
I think maybe my alk was too high? I don’t really know why because I have a couple other shrooms doing well. Discosoma, ricordia, Rhodactis, and hairy mushrooms are all very happy. Sad that my Yuma died :(. I think I’ll do a couple water changes then try again! Yours is absolutely stunning, especially the size of your big momma!

OP
OP
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discosoma, ricordia, Rhodactis, and hairy mushrooms
Interesting, when I was having tank issues the Discosoma was the first to melt. Never have had a hairy one. Not sure on the Rhodactis, although I have one now that’s doing well enough.

OP
OP
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using API test kits for awhile. At the beginning of the year I started getting better kits. Nyos for nitrate. Hanna for phosphate. I just replaced my API alk with a Salifert kit. Sooo many steps! Still not sure if I’m using it right. I “think “ I’m at 7.7 I should of ordered 2,

is the pink tip thing supposed to stay on the whole time? How does the air space at the end NOT matter?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back