Aqua Medic Fish Trap

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used the Aqua Medic Fish Trap? I have a Mystery Wrasse that is a terror and I have to get him OUT:mad:
Any feedback or tricks is greatly appreciated!

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to butt in ...

But can you explain?

Terror? I have the mystery wrasse on my short list of fish for new tank:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to butt in ...

But can you explain?

Terror? I have the mystery wrasse on my short list of fish for new tank:rolleyes:
He was a good guy until I added a Blue Line Wrasse. He's bitten off most of his dorsal fin and chases my other wrasses when he gets in the mood. Their good in an aggressive fish tank but NOT good for mild mannered fish. I should have practiced what I preach, ask a thousand questions and read, read, read!!!;)

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used the Aqua Medic Fish Trap? I have a Mystery Wrasse that is a terror and I have to get him OUT:mad:
Any feedback or tricks is greatly appreciated!
I'm travelling so I can't look up the make of my trap but it works well so I'll describe it. About 6" high by 6" wide by 10" long with a heavy glass gate on a slope at one end. There's a feeding tube that inserts down into the middle and a nylon line that hooks to the gate release. Get a glass of scotch, wrap the nylon line around some part of your body, sit back and wait for the little bugger to swim into the trap. The cool thing is the trap is designed to become a fish container after you succeed. Tilt the box up, 1/2 the water drains out and you can just lift the trap out of the tank. I had to glue extra tabs on mine because my 1/2 round tank didn't lend itself to supporting the tank.

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm travelling so I can't look up the make of my trap but it works well so I'll describe it. About 6" high by 6" wide by 10" long with a heavy glass gate on a slope at one end. There's a feeding tube that inserts down into the middle and a nylon line that hooks to the gate release. Get a glass of scotch, wrap the nylon line around some part of your body, sit back and wait for the little bugger to swim into the trap. The cool thing is the trap is designed to become a fish container after you succeed. Tilt the box up, 1/2 the water drains out and you can just lift the trap out of the tank. I had to glue extra tabs on mine because my 1/2 round tank didn't lend itself to supporting the tank.
Thx for the info. If I got a bottle of Scotch, I probably wouldn't see him go in the trap:confused:

sinekal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and have used it successfully. I leave it in the tank and feed through it for a few days before I try to catch a fish. Quick wrasses can absolutely escape under the door as it closes so it helps to wait until they are well into the box and focused on getting food.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be the trap door that separates the good, bad and the ugly. Mine has a heavy door that drops like a flash. The good thing about the Scotch is that it reduces the need for success. Much less stress on the tank owner... :)

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was a good guy until I added a Blue Line Wrasse. He's bitten off most of his dorsal fin and chases my other wrasses when he gets in the mood. Their good in an aggressive fish tank but NOT good for mild mannered fish. I should have practiced what I preach, ask a thousand questions and read, read, read!!!;)
Thank You!!! Removing from the short list! :rolleyes:
I want a peaceful tank!!;)

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Salty! Did you happen to purchase this trap and did it perform ok for you? I have a Coral Beauty that is as smart as a rocket scientist that must go:eek:

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Salty! Did you happen to purchase this trap and did it perform ok for you? I have a Coral Beauty that is as smart as a rocket scientist that must go:eek:
It worked great. I put in the tank for 3 days before I tried to catch the wrasse. I would feed from it so they would get comfortable and one the 4th day I got the little PITA! Where do you live in Charlotte? I'll let you try it out if you want so you don't have to buy one. They're a little pricey for catching one fish. Send me a pm and see if we can get hooked up if you want.

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked great. I put in the tank for 3 days before I tried to catch the wrasse. I would feed from it so they would get comfortable and one the 4th day I got the little PITA! Where do you live in Charlotte? I'll let you try it out if you want so you don't have to buy one. They're a little pricey for catching one fish. Send me a pm and see if we can get hooked up if you want.

Good evening Salty, hope you had a great day! Thanks for your recommendation and help... caught my Coral Beauty today and I'm all kind of fired up! Yipee!!:D

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening Salty, hope you had a great day! Thanks for your recommendation and help... caught my Coral Beauty today and I'm all kind of fired up! Yipee!!:D
That's great, now your chalices can start to heal and come back:)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trap has worked flawlessly the few times I have needed it. I also use it as a acclimation box (the reason I bought it) to introduce new fish.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the Aqua Medic fish trap last week. Within a few hours I caught my coral nipping Bicolor. The next day I caught my Coral Beauty. Highly recommend.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you guys buy the trap from? cant find any US retailers that sell it.
I guess that it has been discontinued in the US. A few months ago I tried to share where I bought mine from and learned that it was no longer available.

Tank Matez has some nice traps.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Sean. Tankmatez is too small.

Looking for the aqua medic one - and no one has it.

will keep looking - thank you again.
Here is an IceCap one that is pretty much the same size as the AquaMedic trap.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks again Sean... i have actually used that icecap one... and its a horrible design.

The mechanism of the gate drop is horrible and its just a mess.

i appreciate your tips though.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back