Aquabiomics lab testing for ich, velvet, etc.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be included in those detailed water analysis tests that everyone sends in and pays for to.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They claim they can test for marine parasites and diseases. Anybody tried this, results?
What would you do with the information, I wonder. I wouldn’t bother, you’ve either got a problem, in which case you would know about it, or you haven’t a problem.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you do with the information, I wonder. I wouldn’t bother, you’ve either got a problem, in which case you would know about it, or you haven’t a problem.
I have fish in quarantine that are not showing symptoms of disease. If there was a way I could be sure before they go in the display, I would do it. Also if you have corals in qt, a test showing parasites would be a good workaround for months of quarantine as they claim the test detects DNA from all stages not just free swimmers.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually not always. Some fish are asymptomatic or develop some immunity to the bacteria in the water. Then you add a new fish or two and bam.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fish in quarantine that are not showing symptoms of disease. If there was a way I could be sure before they go in the display, I would do it. Also if you have corals in qt, a test showing parasites would be a good workaround for months of quarantine as they claim the test detects DNA from all stages not just free swimmers.

I agree with GARF that the question remains what to do with the information.

Even his own web site says:

"Parasites hide in apparently healthy tanks
Many tanks harbor parasites that cause diseases like Ich, Velvet, Uronema, and Brooklynellosis. Check yours before adding that expensive new fish or coral!"

"Apparently healthy" sounds like "tank is fine".

Is there a benefit in treating apparently fine tanks?

Do we know that the exact strain detected is disease-causing?

How much DNA of a parasite is too much?

How long does it last in the water even if no thriving parasites remain?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take from when you bought it online to getting the results?
It depends all on the cycle of their test, they post a schedule online

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with GARF that the question remains what to do with the information.

Even his own web site says:

"Parasites hide in apparently healthy tanks
Many tanks harbor parasites that cause diseases like Ich, Velvet, Uronema, and Brooklynellosis. Check yours before adding that expensive new fish or coral!"

"Apparently healthy" sounds like "tank is fine".

Is there a benefit in treating apparently fine tanks?

Do we know that the exact strain detected is disease-causing?

How much DNA of a parasite is too much?

How long does it last in the water even if no thriving parasites remain?
It would be more valuable in quarantine tanks before going to the display.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you. Too long of a wait for me. Not keeping my fish in a quarantine tank for that amount of time, already been in there for over 3 weeks.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the chances that you'll actually capture those parasites and diseases in a sample of water you send to them?

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the chances that you'll actually capture those parasites and diseases in a sample of water you send to them?
They claim the tests detect DNA in all stages and actual free swimming parasites are not required to be captured in the test if ich tomites are somewhere in the tank for example. I couldn't even begin to tell you whether that is true, that is their claim.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have successfully talked me out of it. It is clear you know what you're talking about with this test and I believe your results as much as I can believe something on here. And you pointed out the wait time, which is a deal breaker in itself. Thank you very much for your invaluable information.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have to do it in batches and because this is new.. they don’t do it super often simply because they don’t have enough people testing it yet. Probably would change if it became popular. But ya it does have a margin of error.

Besides disease, some people use it to see how much bacterial diversity their tank has compared to other tanks that have been tested. I think this is for curiosity sake.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always trying to learn here.. What would it matter if the fish has tested negative for parasites in QT for whatever period. If the fish goes into a display that is too stressful, couldn't it then still become diseased?

Bacteria has always been a big thing for me, I have traded hundreds of rocks that I glue together to make larger rocks from all kinds of cool tanks and stores with bacterial diversity intent. Interested in how that diversity has positively affected our inhabitants, I have never quarantined anything, ever. I know I wouldn't be dedicated enough to that process as it would require.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always trying to learn here.. What would it matter if the fish has tested negative for parasites in QT for whatever period. If the fish goes into a display that is too stressful, couldn't it then still become diseased?

Bacteria has always been a big thing for me, I have traded hundreds of rocks that I glue together to make larger rocks from all kinds of cool tanks and stores with bacterial diversity intent. Interested in how that diversity has positively affected our inhabitants, I have never quarantined anything, ever. I know I wouldn't be dedicated enough to that process as it would require.
My display has no ich, so no matter how stressed he got in there, he could not get it. However if he had ich and I was unaware, it would explode because of the new stress and infect everybody.

Back