OP
OP
MuscleBobBuffPants

MuscleBobBuffPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not concerned about missing some "bad" DNA. That may happen, but its a technical issue that I hope they can deal with.

I'm concerned with the implied claim that there would be bad DNA from other types of rock, and that such DNA is an indication that the rock would cause a problem. Why would anyone accept that assertion without evidence?

The entire service might be a scam and you'd never know it. Not saying it is (or is not), but how would anyone know? Does ANY rock ANYWHERE show such DNA and then go on to cause fish diseases? Does a simple rinse wash it away?

IMO, it is up to the person making the claim (implied or otherwise) and making money from it to justify it.

At least the first step of showing that rock from, say, 5 local LFS, do show such pathogens, and this special rock does not.

next step up in complication is to show that the rock actually causes diseases that the DNA suggests.

Then I'd beleive it.
I understand. You would like more of a method showing the exact way that this product benefits the customer. Rather than just claiming it does. To me having the DNA analysis just makes me assume that its safe and I can throw it in my QT without really having to second guess it. But you're saying that you can't really know until you do some controlled tests. I actually agree with you, the correct way would be to do it your way - Unfortunately I don't have the resources to do this test - and why I'm putting my faith in Eli and his methodology. I'm paying for his tests, and his bacteria, the rock is just a vessel. I suppose it's his company image that is really at stake here, although I like to be optimistic and see the good in what people offer.

When Brightwell is selling you a bottle of bacteria for 24 bucks, how can we know it' not just saltwater? I guess we couldn't - up until now right? We can send a sample of Turbo Start, or Dr. Tim's, or Vibrant, or XLM and see exactly what is inside them, that is why I'm excited about this.

There are actually articles that have been written and do actually provide the info you are asking for by the way. As I mentioned before - Eli did do a test comparing 6 tanks started with both live rock from different locations and bottled bacteria - testing all the while to see what diversity existed for each tank.

In my opinion the implied "bad rock" conclusion is perfectly valid. Every single display tank from all of my LFS stores have aiptasia in them. That alone is enough for me to classify them in the "bad rock - I'm not putting that in my tank" category.

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my shipment of Live Reef Rubble from Aquabiomics - I'm very excited to start my new frag tank with this shipment of bacteria straight from the Ocean and a guaranteed analysis of no pests - verified by DNA sequencing. The future is here y'all. I've constantly heard about how superior live rock is compared to dry rock + bacteria in a bottle. So now I am very happy to join the club with regards to bacteria straight from the ocean. It's very interesting to see the report on the number and types of microbes that are in a sample. I have the report scanned if anyone would like to see what it looks like.

That is what I used for my start up.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to see it and this is awesome. Ive never seen the rubble in stock.
I already use ocean rock but this is a whole other dynamic to the game.

Sign up for email notifications. It did not take long for it to become available when i purchased it.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up with @AquaBiomics, where are you? I didnt think he was still around. A couple of months ago i reached out to him directly here asking about bacteria testing and i got no response. Ive seen others and myself "@" him here with no response that ive seen. I also emailed the company directly at their website and once again, no reply.

This bacteria testing and how it works with our glass enclosed ecosystems really fascinates me. SOOO @AquaBiomics, whats the deal?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I eme
Whats up with @AquaBiomics, where are you? I didnt think he was still around. A couple of months ago i reached out to him directly here asking about bacteria testing and i got no response. Ive seen others and myself "@" him here with no response that ive seen. I also emailed the company directly at their website and once again, no reply.

This bacteria testing and how it works with our glass enclosed ecosystems really fascinates me. SOOO @AquaBiomics, whats the deal?

I emailed them last week and received a response the same day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion the implied "bad rock" conclusion is perfectly valid. Every single display tank from all of my LFS stores have aiptasia in them. That alone is enough for me to classify them in the "bad rock - I'm not putting that in my tank" category.

I was mostly referring to fish disease DNA, since the link to live rock is tenuous.

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I used for my start up.
How did it work out for you? Was it still a process or was it an "insta-tank?" Did you put the rocks in your filter or display? I'm anticipating adding bacteria and an ammonia source before adding the rock and then adding fish after adding the rock in my filter.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it work out for you? Was it still a process or was it an "insta-tank?" Did you put the rocks in your filter or display? I'm anticipating adding bacteria and an ammonia source before adding the rock and then adding fish after adding the rock in my filter.

I did not add any additional bacteria so it took some time before the tank had enough bacteria to process an ammonia dose quickly. I just put the rock in my refugium on top of my bio-media block

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back