AquaC, ETSS, Downdraft, Recirculating VS Short Cone Type Skimmer ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the 90's, the skimmers to buy were the Tunze and ETSS, but they were too expensive for me, now 20 years later, their affordable. lol...

Anyway, there are two used one's I'm looking into.
ETSS Buddy and the AquaC.

How do both of these work ?
Recirculating ?

Then, ....them versus the more common short cone shape, under cabinet skimmers ?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Aquac? The EV series are good if you have the right pump which needs to be stronger then what is listed as recommended.

What size tank and what kind of bioload and feeding habbits will you have?

For a larger tank I'd much rather have a skimmer with more dwell time which the AquaC EV series will have over any cone skimmer.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote AquaC hands down – all of their skimmers are powerful, flexible and very easy to clean. (That last one is the feature you'll be interacting with the most.)

I hate thumbscrews. Because of them, it takes too long to clean ETSS skimmers. I do like the performance on ETSS though!

Of the needlewheels still on the market, Tunze is my favorite. Weird shapes and colors of plastic are gimmicks...fine if you like them/can handle them, but IMO don't pay extra for them. Cone skimmers will always be taller than a comparable "normally shaped" skimmer.

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The downdraft type require a very powerful pump which used to be the problem with them. That meant more electricity and heat dissipation. Now with dc pumps that may no longer be an issue.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The downdraft type require a very powerful pump which used to be the problem with them. That meant more electricity and heat dissipation. Now with dc pumps that may no longer be an issue.
Most will be surprised at how inefficient DC pumps are at high head/pressure situations. An AC pump will drastically drop in watts pulled as the head pressure on it builds up. So far, IME, a DC will not and will pull near if not at 100% of the watts rated.

Can see that here
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mtc-mvx-skimmer-review.252436/

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the preference for AC pumps.

I also think the watts issue is at least slightly overrated, unless you have to cool your tank with a chiller.

Some (all?) of that difference in watts between the pump on the AquaC and the pump on the needlewheel (14 watts for the Tunze!!!) will get eaten up by heaters running more frequently. I literally had to add more heaters to my tank when I switched.

Even if I didn't save money I have to admit that making that many bubbles with only 14 watts is amazing. ;)

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Aquac? The EV series are good if you have the right pump which needs to be stronger then what is listed as recommended.

What size tank and what kind of bioload and feeding habbits will you have?

For a larger tank I'd much rather have a skimmer with more dwell time which the AquaC EV series will have over any cone skimmer.

Yes, the EV series. There's hardly any talk these days about dwell time, but to me, it's crtical. Years ago, I built a counter current, air driven pvc skimmer. 5' tall 6'diameter and would locally buy a 10"x 12" piece bass wood, cut and drill my own diffuser using a piston pump in the basement, for gobs of air. It produced tight dense micro bubbles of 24". Much better than my used Tunze.

125g in wall mixed reef, so the height of the skimmer does not matter, as it won't be under the tank.

I have a new Vertex Omega 150 that was going under the tank, but when we decided to put the tank in the wall, we have no limit.

So, I'm also looking at the Bashsea 6-30. (Love the video's I've seen)!

But, I'm excited to chat with you guys and Jason (Jason2459), after looking at his post and vids of his MTX skimmer, which he
loves !

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bashea seems like a nice Beckett. Only reason I didn't go with a Beckett is the maintenance of the injector. My mazzei venturi gets back flushed and cleaned twice a day when my skimmer is shutdown along with the return pump during some automatic feedings. Can't do that with a Beckett and will require being removed and taken apart periodically. Though I will be trying one out soon on my MVX. :)

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying bud.
If you could read my PM, it's just fine to talk about your skimmer and,...your advise. I would apprecite it !

Do you beleive the MTC is still the best over what skimmer's we have listed so far ?
If you could write why, that would be great !

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the aqua c 240 years ago, it was great, but I don't have a bashee. Live in socal, electricity is too expensive to run a large pump on top of all the rest of the equipment.
Thanks for replying bud.
If you could read my PM, it's just fine to talk about your skimmer and,...your advise. I would apprecite it !

Do you beleive the MTC is still the best over what skimmer's we have listed so far ?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying bud.

I personally believe so. I liked the overall design and the mazzei injector selected for the MVX over the lifereef. The Lifereef is a perfectly fine skimmer though as is the AquaC EV line. I went with the mazzei over the penductor like design of the AquaC as it was more flexable and easier to get. And I've already said why I didn't go with a beckett though I do believe Beckett skimmers are capable of producing the best aeration.

I've done a lot of testing of different configs and they've all reaffirmed my choice for the MVX being the best choice for me. It's been by far the best skimmer I've used even with my tinkering which seems never ending.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last comparrison.
MTC vs Bashsea ?
It's a Beckett and no one has yet to tell me what its like to clean those fins out. It looks nice and I'm sure it can skim great. I would still choose the MVX over it as I did look at them too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question on the fins ?
Wonder is it slides out from the top, then clean under the sink, or if it's more of a pain in the butt than that ?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a review on Reef Builders about the great skimmers, and only a couple of reefers that say the customer responce is in question. Have you had any contact issues ?

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/04/01/marine-technical-concepts-mvx-protein-skimmer-review/

Hi, I just came across this April 2015 Reef Builders article for MTC MVX Skimmer review. I am trying to figure out if this company is still in business. I have tried emailing and calling but no response. I have an MTC HSA Skimmer that is close to 20yrs old, still works like a champ and looks like new. I see they came out with an easy clean injector upgrade for it some time ago. Trying to find a source for this. If you got any current intel on MTC, it would truly be appreciated.
Like · Reply · Mark as spam · Jan 6, 2017 3:23pm

Tank Tucker
Jacksonville, Florida
I have an older model as well counter rotation. One of the best skimmers I have ever run across. Also have their calcium reactor. Again one of the best. Unfortunately this company is the worst at answering emails or getting ahold of. I suggest finding a local fish shop that carries their products and see if they can order it for you.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's no secret he's been tough to contact late last year into earlier this year due to some personal issues. Its just him and his close family that run it.

He got pretty backed up but is doing better at responding to emails. Make sure to put a phone number in your email to him. He's much better at calling back that way.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back