AquaC, ETSS, Downdraft, Recirculating VS Short Cone Type Skimmer ?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope he's doing better. I prefer calls anyway, as I hate,.... two finger typing !

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come skimmers will be taller but regular shaped skimmers will hold more volume.
I also like the Tunze skimmer but only if they were more competitively priced .
I vote AquaC hands down – all of their skimmers are powerful, flexible and very easy to clean. (That last one is the feature you'll be interacting with the most.)

I hate thumbscrews. Because of them, it takes too long to clean ETSS skimmers. I do like the performance on ETSS though!

Of the needlewheels still on the market, Tunze is my favorite. Weird shapes and colors of plastic are gimmicks...fine if you like them/can handle them, but IMO don't pay extra for them. Cone skimmers will always be taller than a comparable "normally shaped" skimmer.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a review on Reef Builders about the great skimmers, and only a couple of reefers that say the customer responce is in question. Have you had any contact issues ?

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/04/01/marine-technical-concepts-mvx-protein-skimmer-review/

Hi, I just came across this April 2015 Reef Builders article for MTC MVX Skimmer review. I am trying to figure out if this company is still in business. I have tried emailing and calling but no response. I have an MTC HSA Skimmer that is close to 20yrs old, still works like a champ and looks like new. I see they came out with an easy clean injector upgrade for it some time ago. Trying to find a source for this. If you got any current intel on MTC, it would truly be appreciated.
Like · Reply · Mark as spam · Jan 6, 2017 3:23pm

Tank Tucker
Jacksonville, Florida
I have an older model as well counter rotation. One of the best skimmers I have ever run across. Also have their calcium reactor. Again one of the best. Unfortunately this company is the worst at answering emails or getting ahold of. I suggest finding a local fish shop that carries their products and see if they can order it for you.

I was going to try and post a reply to them but looks like I need facebook to do so which I refuse to sign up for

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been a fan either, unless family or friends calls upon me. Although, I have blogged my rants about Trump many times.
(no good rants, so beware to everyone) :mad:

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I sell my new Vertex Omega 150, are the MTC & AquaC type skimmers better than the short under cabinet skimmers, no matter what brand, like my Vertex ?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, what's your thoughts about Recirculating,.... Beckett skimmers, like MRC ?

And ..MRC skimmer line up ?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I sell my new Vertex Omega 150, are the MTC & AquaC type skimmers better than the short under cabinet skimmers, no matter what brand, like my Vertex ?

Do you hate your Vertex, or what? I forget if you mentioned why you're selling it. I rarely suggest switching skimmers "just because". Their performance is pretty well limited by the task at hand...there's only so much skimmable gunk in a system.

FWIW, if short really matters, my Ev90 is one of the few skimmers that's as short as my Tunze 9410. <18" Tall. AquaC skimmers are actually very compact or average by most height comparisons.

"Better?" I always have to ask back, "Better in what way do you mean?"

There are usually strong points for each skimmer....such as making the skimmer go with an ordinary pump...or making bubbles with very few watts...or being very short...or being a classic...or being very hackable. Etc.

But what's better would be up to you. What matters to you?

(I am not a fan of MRC skimmers, in general. Hardest to clean, have been the most finicky for me in performance, some of the most expensive. They do work if you install them right (also a very finicky point), but there's almost always a better choice IME.)

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I do not. Read my 3rd post on the first page, but here's some of my post (+)

We were going to have another one of our tanks in the living room with a stand, so I bought the Vertex to go under the stand. But we've decided to put it into the wall, so the sump will be beside the tank in the fish room.

I have never even opened the Vertex box.

We can now have a larger skimmer, so that's why I'll either trade for for a MTC, AquaC, Bashsea, or sell it.

It must,....be in great condition.

Thank you.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, what's your thoughts about Recirculating,.... Beckett skimmers, like MRC ?

And ..MRC skimmer line up ?
Recirculating is a nice option if available but not something that would sway me one way or another. The taller 48" and above lifereefs can be setup recirculating and I like those models better then his smaller 36" and below. MVX dual mazzei is recirculating as well.

A Beckett skimmer no mater who makes it all have the same kind of maintenance and having to take it apart periodically. But excellent at aeration.

MRC is a very solid brand and used by all levels of aquariums. Both their Beckett and orca pro needlewheel skimmers. I like their orca pro skimmers.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I do not. Read my 3rd post on the first page, but here's some of my post (+)

We were going to have another one of our tanks in the living room with a stand, so I bought the Vertex to go under the stand. But we've decided to put it into the wall, so the sump will be beside the tank in the fish room.

I have never even opened the Vertex box.

We can now have a larger skimmer, so that's why I'll either trade for for a MTC, AquaC, Bashsea, or sell it.

That changes things...if it's unopened and you think you can unload it easily, then definitely consider all your options. :)

Bashsea appears to have the same thumbscrew syndrome that plagues MRC skimmers. Since you can essentially just skim wet to keep the rest of the skimmer reasonably clean, emptying the skimmer cup is the main point. If it's tough to empty or clean the skimmer cup, then the deal is off for me. ;)

MRC Skimmers – Last Thoughts (not that it matters)
I think they fit into the "classic" category of skimmers....so if you're a fan you're a fan. :) All good cuz they work!!

But I don't think they're making new recruits these days. An ETSS was usually a better option back in the day, but was usually too big. Now that we have AquaC and many other competitive options, I find them a hard option to consider.

I never used their needlewheels, but I've used everything else of theirs from an MR-1 up to the biggest dual headed recirculator, which they don't make anymore, but it was like two MR3-R's on one sump-box.....big mother. Might've been called the MR6-R, I dunno....here's a terrible pic of it that I found online:
798.jpg

(Found a thread on RC where someone cloned this skimmer!! Hope their version worked better since it doesn't look like the easiest or cheapest monster to clone!)

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I don't understand why company's today still have the old,......screws, rather than an easy to disassemble coupler ?

All I can think of is added cost ?

Back