Aquacultured Live Rock

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a question about using the aquacultured live rock. Should I place it in when I'm starting to cycle the tank or after? I'm not sure exactly how I should use it. I don't want to kill anything on the rock so it's not clear to me if I should put it in after I cycle a tank or before.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it either way. The live rock helps tank cycle but there will be some die off. If you wait till the tank is cycled there will still be some minimal die off on the live rock due to the change in environment.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a question about using the aquacultured live rock. Should I place it in when I'm starting to cycle the tank or after? I'm not sure exactly how I should use it. I don't want to kill anything on the rock so it's not clear to me if I should put it in after I cycle a tank or before.
Yes. If you're starting a new tank, put the rock into the tank and cycle/cure at the same time.

OP
OP
Extract1ng

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missing some commas... "...wet, cycled, and running..."
Wait so he said cycled and you said while cycling o_O

My plan was to order everything and when I get the rock next day shipped "wet", that I would start the tank with the rock, live sand, and freshly made saltwater.

would that be ok? Or would it kill more than 80% of the rock while doing so?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the rock in tank, allow time for die off/cycle. A bucket of fresh salt water is no different than your tank of new water. Whatever will die would die either way. Just get the tank wet(with rocks to speed the process, keep lights off during this time

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so he said cycled and you said while cycling o_O

My plan was to order everything and when I get the rock next day shipped "wet", that I would start the tank with the rock, live sand, and freshly made saltwater.

would that be ok? Or would it kill more than 80% of the rock while doing so?
Yes. I was not agreeing with him, just correcting his grammar ;)

OP
OP
Extract1ng

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I was not agreeing with him, just correcting his grammar ;)
Put the rock in tank, allow time for die off/cycle. A bucket of fresh salt water is no different than your tank of new water. Whatever will die would die either way. Just get the tank wet(with rocks to speed the process, keep lights off during this time
So what do you guys recommend adding with the rock and sand, some sort of bottle bacteria like fritz turbo start or phyto?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you guys recommend adding with the rock and sand, some sort of bottle bacteria like fritz turbo start or phyto?
No need for bacteria or ammonia. Just put in the rock - it already has bacteria (that's what makes it "live") and ammonia will be created by any die off.

OP
OP
Extract1ng

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. Rock, sand, water and patience.
What's the tank volume/ live rock/ dry rock ratio?
A fluval evo 13.5, was thinking 10lbs of caribsea live sand, and 10lbs of aquacultered live rock. I've read that I should probably water change 1-2 a week? I don't have any upgrades to the fluval yet just the stuff it comes with and an API test kit to monitor the ammonia levels.

OP
OP
Extract1ng

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct as the the rock cures you'll have a tremendous amount of ammonia released into the tank. The lower you keep the ammonia the more life you'll have survive the process.
So the rock would be plenty to start cycling once I put it in I suppose. How about phyto, or would anything else be beneficial for the process?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fluval evo 13.5, was thinking 10lbs of caribsea live sand, and 10lbs of aquacultered live rock. I've read that I should probably water change 1-2 a week? I don't have any upgrades to the fluval yet just the stuff it comes with and an API test kit to monitor the ammonia levels.
Sounds like a good plan!! Try to keep the tank dark during this time. Don't want the algea to get a foothold with a bunch of light and ammonia

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back