Aquacultured Live Rock

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the rock would be plenty to start cycling once I put it in I suppose. How about phyto, or would anything else be beneficial for the process?
Rock and water changes is all you need. Hold off on phyto until lights are running and you have a fish that you're feeding(pods will absolutely survive)

OP
OP
Extract1ng

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that, thank you guys!!!

For water changes, I have RODI water and haven't chosen a salt mix yet, is instant ocean ok?
And what percent water changes should I do?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For water changes, I have RODI water and haven't chosen a salt mix yet, is instant ocean ok?
Should be fine but it really depends on what you want down the road.

Your nose will let you know how much... get a test kit that includes ammonia.

When you buy the rock the seller will give you they're best advice o what to do.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For cycling rock the salt mix brand/blend is not critically important.

As @UMALUM said, down the road using a mix that provides the parameters (Alk,Ca, Mg, et ct.) that you want for your critters,fish & coral is important for stability when making water changes. When you start the salt mixture isn’t critical but it is something to figure out which salt will serve you best for the livestock you want to keep.

As the rock is settling in the next addition you might want is a clean up crew and micro fauna like copepods & amphipods to get the ecosystem basics in place before you add coral or fish.

Are you going to start a build thread to help keep track of your steps and progress going forward?

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a question about using the aquacultured live rock. Should I place it in when I'm starting to cycle the tank or after? I'm not sure exactly how I should use it. I don't want to kill anything on the rock so it's not clear to me if I should put it in after I cycle a tank or before.

I used Tampabay Saltwater rock on a test system and it basically instant cycled. I ran about a 6 hour photo period for a few weeks and then went to a normal routine. Had some mild algae issues but at 3+ months the tank is doing great. I did have a robust CUC and did weekly 10-15% water changes. I did have to catch some crabs but the hitchikers and life was worth the effort.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a question about using the aquacultured live rock. Should I place it in when I'm starting to cycle the tank or after? I'm not sure exactly how I should use it. I don't want to kill anything on the rock so it's not clear to me if I should put it in after I cycle a tank or before.
Not sure you need to cycle the aquarium if you are adding live rock. Bacteria are there already. And if you want to check how well they performing add 0.5 ppm total ammonia and observe how quickly ammonia disappears. Be aware stuff is going to die or change on the rock because the new aquarium can be a starving zone

OP
OP
Extract1ng

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cycling rock the salt mix brand/blend is not critically important.

As @UMALUM said, down the road using a mix that provides the parameters (Alk,Ca, Mg, et ct.) that you want for your critters,fish & coral is important for stability when making water changes. When you start the salt mixture isn’t critical but it is something to figure out which salt will serve you best for the livestock you want to keep.

As the rock is settling in the next addition you might want is a clean up crew and micro fauna like copepods & amphipods to get the ecosystem basics in place before you add coral or fish.

Are you going to start a build thread to help keep track of your steps and progress going forward?
I should! Everyone here has been so helpful. For the micro crustaceans do they come bottled/live/grow myself?

OP
OP
Extract1ng

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Tampabay Saltwater rock on a test system and it basically instant cycled. I ran about a 6 hour photo period for a few weeks and then went to a normal routine. Had some mild algae issues but at 3+ months the tank is doing great. I did have a robust CUC and did weekly 10-15% water changes. I did have to catch some crabs but the hitchikers and life was worth the effort.
I was thinking Tampabay as well but you can only order a minimum of 20lbs. I'm still unsure how much I should put in my 13.5g tank, I was thinking 10lbs? Do I need more ?

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking Tampabay as well but you can only order a minimum of 20lbs. I'm still unsure how much I should put in my 13.5g tank, I was thinking 10lbs? Do I need more ?

It is very high porosity, so volume would be a big issue with 20 lbs into that size tank.....maybe split the order with someone. The rock is worth it.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't share this hobby with anyone close :( Is gulf live rock ok? It allows 10lb purchases
I did 200 lbs of kp shipped wet and was extremely happy. The only questionables were easy to spot and remove during the cure. Bottom line any live rock is better then none. The only thing about gulf rock is the chance of aiptasia which can be one of the worst hickers imo. You will not have that concern with rock from the straits.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll do fine with any of the live rock companies, but wanted to point out that Tampa Bay has their "Treasure Chests" with smaller quantities...

OP
OP
Extract1ng

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should! Everyone here has been so helpful. For the micro crustaceans do they come bottled/live/grow myself?
One source I have used, I think there are others? I wonder if KPAquatics has something not on their website?

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did 200 lbs of kp shipped wet and was extremely happy. The only questionables were easy to spot and remove during the cure. Bottom line any live rock is better then none. The only thing about gulf rock is the chance of aiptasia which can be one of the worst hickers imo. You will not have that concern with rock from the straits.
KP Rock Rocks.
To clarify, there are over 12 species of aiptasia, TBS Live rock does not have the species of aiptasia that LFS and online vendors do, Indo aiptasia spreads like a plague.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back