Aquacultured rocks

gremelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55gal tank that sprung a leak. I was able to save the fish but in a emergency rush my coral stones were put in 5 gal buckets & set outside. Before I put in new tank should I boil the rocks & scrub them w/ a clean brush. They were set outside because of odor & have been exposed to freezing temps. many times

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t boil them, just cycle them again in 78 degree circulating saltwater for a month.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never boil or bake rocks.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55gal tank that sprung a leak. I was able to save the fish but in a emergency rush my coral stones were put in 5 gal buckets & set outside. Before I put in new tank should I boil the rocks & scrub them w/ a clean brush. They were set outside because of odor & have been exposed to freezing temps. many times
Don't boil or bake rocks, it is a horrible thing to do. Many cases of palytoxin harming reefers are from doing exactly that. Even if you don't have palys and zoas, it's not worth taking the risk of harming yourself. It'll also cause even more massive die offs that will make you have to cycle even longer. Bacteria generally can survive better than one would think.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back