Aquacultured rocks

gremelp

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
6
Reaction score
19
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55gal tank that sprung a leak. I was able to save the fish but in a emergency rush my coral stones were put in 5 gal buckets & set outside. Before I put in new tank should I boil the rocks & scrub them w/ a clean brush. They were set outside because of odor & have been exposed to freezing temps. many times
 
Don’t boil them, just cycle them again in 78 degree circulating saltwater for a month.
 
I have a 55gal tank that sprung a leak. I was able to save the fish but in a emergency rush my coral stones were put in 5 gal buckets & set outside. Before I put in new tank should I boil the rocks & scrub them w/ a clean brush. They were set outside because of odor & have been exposed to freezing temps. many times
Don't boil or bake rocks, it is a horrible thing to do. Many cases of palytoxin harming reefers are from doing exactly that. Even if you don't have palys and zoas, it's not worth taking the risk of harming yourself. It'll also cause even more massive die offs that will make you have to cycle even longer. Bacteria generally can survive better than one would think.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 41 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new