Aquadream 110 Plumbing

BlowThemUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everyone is doing well. I just recently acquired an Aqua Dream 110 and have a few questions about what I should do. Been wanting to get in to the hobby for a while and I was able to get this tank for free lightly used. Previous person had constant leaks with the plumbing and the pump connector piece actually broke on him.

I do not like the sump and plumbing that came with this aquarium and I am wanting to replace it with something a little cleaner and simpler. Hard line pvc and glued fittings with unions and on/off valves kind of thing. Its a nice tank and stand but it needs a better sump and plumbing in my opinion.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to remove the return line bulkhead from the bottom of the tank. I was able to get the larger overflow pipe out with no problem. However the return line bulkhead appears as if its captured by the tank somehow. More like a bushing than a bulkhead. How do I get this out and if I do, how do you guys recommend redoing this plumbing?

Can I use one hole as return and one as a primary drain or should I do a Herbie style overflow using both holes and plump a return line up and over the rim of the tank? I snapped a few screenshots from Aqua Dreams YouTube video for reference.

Really looking forward to your guys advice and what you have to say.

Screenshot (1139).png
Screenshot (1140).png
Screenshot (1142).png
Screenshot (1141).png

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, missed this thread somehow. Sorry about that. I would go Herbie. Use the smaller one as the main and the larger as the emergency.

OP
OP
B

BlowThemUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, missed this thread somehow. Sorry about that. I would go Herbie. Use the smaller one as the main and the larger as the emergency.
Thanks for the input. Does size of pipe matter if I replace the current ones?

I was surprised when no one responded right away. I know there a lot of knowledgeable people on here.

How do I get the old bulkhead out for the smaller pipe? I tried unscrewing it but it just keeps spinning.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipe size will be dictated by bulkhead size.

From the look of things, the nut on the bulkhead fitting is under the tank so I would stuff a pipe in the top, have someone hold it while pushing down, then grab the nut underneath with big a wrench. If the bulkheads are the way I’m guessing, there is a rubber gasket under the flange inside the tank. By installing the pipe and using that to push down, you can create enough friction for the wrench to get the nut moving.

once the old bulkheads are out, you will need to measure the holes in the glass to figure out the new bulkheads.

OP
OP
B

BlowThemUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternative bulkhead removal: carefully cut the nut into two halves. My 125g got this treatment.
Cutting it did cross my mind however I was able to get it unscrewed once I was convinced it was an actual bulkhead. LoL

I have a 1.75" and 2" whole in the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
B

BlowThemUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ponder those sizes.
While your pondering about that I was also curious if it mattered that each hole is sectioned off in its owne chamber.

The chamber with the 1.75" hole has a notch in the bottom corner to allow water in. The other chamber with 2" hole is sealed at the bottom and water can only enter from the very top.

OP
OP
B

BlowThemUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chambers are covered with a wier that has holes at the top and bottom

Attachments

• 20221102_193133.jpg
    20221102_193133.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20221102_193355.jpg
    20221102_193355.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 35

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two options: if you stick with Schedule 40 bulkheads, you will need a 1” and a 1-1/4” to fit those holes. The broken out corner is a problem but not a show stopper. Option 2: use a 1” same as one, but schedule 80 1” for the other.

OP
OP
B

BlowThemUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That broken corner looks like it was made that way. It definitely came like that from the factory.

The weir has like a 1/4" gap between it and the two overflow chambers. Very hard if not impossible spot to clean.

Can the glass overflow chambers be removed and I just use the weir to section off the plumbing from the tank? Does the size of the overflow chamber or chambers matter?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make this tank as easy as possible to take care of.

Thanks.

OP
OP
B

BlowThemUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I remove the weir and glass chambers and put a new overflow box in the corner. Found one by Tenecor that should work.

How hard is it going to be to remove those glass baffles? Will fishing line cut the silicon?

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the seams on the tank while you're in there my dad just had a bottom seam blow out and dump the whole 135 in the living room, all his discus died. The company is saying they will send super glue to fix lol while under warrenty.

Back