AquaIllumination Blade Announced

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty bummed, I'm having the same issue with my 12" grow. I just set it up a couple days ago and it looks bad. The side with the cord is noticeably more white.
yep, corded side more white here too.
if you have the time, reach out to AI so we can get some attention on the matter.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't speak to the cameras used in those videos, by my phone has a really hard time capturing the light imbalance. If I just take a full tank shot, with room lights on, the camera just doesn't capture what I'm seeing. The only way I can do it is by turning the room lights off, and using Orphek's 15K and 20K lenses simultaneously.

Also, I believe it's more pronounced in cases where the tank is wider than the Blade Grow itself. If you scroll back a bit to page 20 / March 7th, I posted a drawing of why I think this is the case. When the tank is more closely the size of the Blade Grow, it may be less noticeable.

I believe it's a combination of the two cases that makes it hard to see in online videos. That said, I have seen it slightly in some when the camera was focused only inside the tank. For example, look at the following video at the 27 second mark:

Yes, when you are looking for it, it's quite obvious. I saw that video when it came out and did not notice and crazy to think it is not described in the review as it's very apparent in person.

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 57” blades on my Cade 1800 peninsula (228gal) in 3:1 ratio Grow:Glow.

preliminary PAR measurements @ 100% show about 600 on the upper rockwork and 200-260 on the sand bed. Very even distribution, no hot spots.

mediccby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering getting the 12" Blade Grow for the Fluval EVO 13.5. It looks like it would fit in the stock lid's light opening very well, and allow me to keep using the lid and keep evaporation minimal. Mainly what I want to accomplish is upgrade from the stock light, and at least maintain the PAR the stock light puts out. The stock light is very white looking, and I get no color pop on corals - so that's what I'm mainly hoping to change. I don't want to go with the Glow because that might be a bit too blue for my eyes. I realize this is a new product but would welcome any thoughts on doing this? Thanks in advance!
Did you get the Blade Grow if so how did it work out I have the same thing in mind.

RZGreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the Blade Grow if so how did it work out I have the same thing in mind.

I did get it, but it didn't go well. I can't recommend it. There are posts about it over the last few days of this thread, or you can take a look at my posts through my profile.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to the cameras used in those videos, by my phone has a really hard time capturing the light imbalance. If I just take a full tank shot, with room lights on, the camera just doesn't capture what I'm seeing. The only way I can do it is by turning the room lights off, and using Orphek's 15K and 20K lenses simultaneously.

Also, I believe it's more pronounced in cases where the tank is wider than the Blade Grow itself. If you scroll back a bit to page 20 / March 7th, I posted a drawing of why I think this is the case. When the tank is more closely the size of the Blade Grow, it may be less noticeable.

I believe it's a combination of the two cases that makes it hard to see in online videos. That said, I have seen it slightly in some when the camera was focused only inside the tank. For example, look at the following video at the 27 second mark:

I saw that video, and if I'm not so blind, I saw the right side different (blueish) than the left side.

So in other words all Blades have this issue?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw that video, and if I'm not so blind, I saw the right side different (blueish) than the left side.

So in other words all Blades have this issue?

I have yet to see a Grow that doesn't have this issue. The Glow, Fuge, and Freshwater do not suffer from this.

RZGreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine don’t have that issue at all

I don't mean to question what you're seeing, so please take this more as a clarifying question.... I believe you said you have a mix of Glow & Grows. Do you see an imbalance if you turn the glow off, and only have one grow on at a time, with all 3 channels turned up? If you don't see it in that situation then I'm really confused by what's going on.

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to question what you're seeing, so please take this more as a clarifying question.... I believe you said you have a mix of Glow & Grows. Do you see an imbalance if you turn the glow off, and only have one grow on at a time, with all 3 channels turned up? If you don't see it in that situation then I'm really confused by what's going on.
I’ll check them individually, but fail to see why that would matter. I ran without a Glow for a bit, so yeah, that box is checks.

My lights are the 57” version.

Jesmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have 4 57” blades on my Cade 1800 peninsula (228gal) in 3:1 ratio Grow:Glow.

preliminary PAR measurements @ 100% show about 600 on the upper rockwork and 200-260 on the sand bed. Very even distribution, no hot spots.
I just set up a 66" glow and it is extreamly hot to touch.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone know if the little status lights can be disabled? They are super bright and cast a very obvious and annoying light in the tank at night. Certainly there must be a way.

Go to Settings > Devices > Select Device > Auto Dim Timeout > 30 Seconds.

Done

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just set up a 66" glow and it is extreamly hot to touch.

What is “extremely hot?” Without a thermometer or number of some kind, this is pretty subjective.

With an actual number, you could judge if your unit is faulty. LEDs aren’t magic. When you put 150w into a 66*3 area it is going to warm up a bit. I saw roughly 40°C is what they run at

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly my thoughts re: thermodynamics.

I know the heat dissipation vs Radion xr30s with a cooling fan and heat sink wouldn’t be as good.

However, doing the math on surface area vs wattage rating, I think the blades are really utilizing their design for not only better light distribution, but cooling as well. At later stages in my build, I might add some small fans to blow air across the lights if it becomes necessary in the summer months. This would have the added benefit of increasing evaporation to make my kalk stirrer more effective.

reeflodi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, corded side more white here too.
if you have the time, reach out to AI so we can get some attention on the matter.
I reached out to them, they are sending me a replacement. Hopefully I get one that doesn't have the same issue but RZGreef had the same issue with 3 replacements, so i'm not super optimistic.

jake37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is odd. Mine get warm, but not hot. Certainly not too hot to hold my hand on them, even at 100%. So strange to have so much variation amongst experiences.
Mine are warm but i worry about the plastic sleeves keeping in excess heat and there could be a better design that had less plastic covering the heat radiator at the top. I can certainly place my hand on them and not worry about being burn so i would guess less than 120f ; but the parts without the plastic strip are definitely cooler.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow the photos of the light distribution are crazy! Good thing BRS loves these lights.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back