AquaIllumination Blade Announced

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too hard to get a camera to see the difference.

1. The blade is really bright. Lights up half of a standard 120 very well. Very white or very blue. Looks good on the tank and isn't noticeable.
2. The hard shadows from the Kessils have faded as the blade is producing more fill light.
3. The "kessil shimmer" is muted. Almost reminds me of the radion shimmer. Shimmer is still there just not as pronounced.

I will get a par meter in the next few weeks and I will post the par values.
PXL_20230326_210120680.jpg
That’s good news. I actually just purchased a 57” GROW that should be here Wednesday. The price was right and everything seems to point to this being the best fit for my setup. Happy to hear some of the shadowing has been helped along. I anticipated the shimmer being reduced as it’s so much more of a blanket of light. I thought it might be the best of both worlds of having the shimmer when you want it and running the blade higher to offer more blanket coverage. I’m going to have mine mounted up higher (8” or so) in my canopy so maybe I’ll post back here when mine arrives for anyone who sees this in the near future. Thanks for the feedback!

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my 57” Grow today. Part of me wishes I had gone with the 66” (though it would be awkward with my setup) but first impressions are BRIGHT. Mine definitely appears to have the “whiter on the cord side” problem as well documented in this thread though paired with the kessils it’s not all that noticeable. Will definitely have to reach out to AI to be in the communication chain regarding this problem. I think I’m glad to have some “white” with the Grow vs the Glow because it definitely works with the Kessil spectrum. Need to do some tweaking of both light settings and maybe I’ll get some pics up. Definitely concur with the above thought. Bright as hell, easy to set up for the most part, impacts the Kessil Shimmer (in a fairly pleasing way) and though the light is mounted about 6-7” above the water surface, the 57” doesn’t quite hit end-to-end of my 6’ tank where the aqua scape is probably only 65” accross.

If these will be your only light source, definitely get the size closest to the size of your actual tank for sure, and don’t short it by too much.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too hard to get a camera to see the difference.

1. The blade is really bright. Lights up half of a standard 120 very well. Very white or very blue. Looks good on the tank and isn't noticeable.
2. The hard shadows from the Kessils have faded as the blade is producing more fill light.
3. The "kessil shimmer" is muted. Almost reminds me of the radion shimmer. Shimmer is still there just not as pronounced.

I will get a par meter in the next few weeks and I will post the par values.
PXL_20230326_210120680.jpg
Did you ever manage to take any PAR readings? I’m going to need to get my hands on a par meter because it’s really hard to gauge. I’ve currently got the blade on acclimation mode ramping up the schedule intensity from a starting point of 50%.

I’d love to know the par of the blade itself raised off the water. Mine is probably 7” off the water surface angled inwards. I’ve seen a bunch of videos on PAR with it sitting right on top of the tank but none so far with it raised up.

The corals seem to really dig the extra par and when I turn off the blade now, everything looks crazy dim in comparison. Granted, I have 3 a360x’s over a 6’ tank so I won’t have as much par from them as you do.

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever manage to take any PAR readings? I’m going to need to get my hands on a par meter because it’s really hard to gauge. I’ve currently got the blade on acclimation mode ramping up the schedule intensity from a starting point of 50%.

I’d love to know the par of the blade itself raised off the water. Mine is probably 7” off the water surface angled inwards. I’ve seen a bunch of videos on PAR with it sitting right on top of the tank but none so far with it raised up.

The corals seem to really dig the extra par and when I turn off the blade now, everything looks crazy dim in comparison. Granted, I have 3 a360x’s over a 6’ tank so I won’t have as much par from them as you do.
No. There are no places here that rent. I'm looking at a parwise it seems interesting. I have mine on 60% blue and royal blue and white at like 25. So far I like it and corals show no sign of too much light. If I get the parwise I'll post my numbers.

jake37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the diameter of the screws that go into the side of these lights? I went to homedepot to purchase a set of M8 screws and discovered they came in many different lengths (expected) AND many different diameters ranging from a few mm to 100mm (really thick screw).

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After alot of doubt and research I just put a 48" grow on my shallow reef 80 AIO. The tank is 4ft. with 17" depth and width. I also have a red sea reefer 625xxl with reefbreeders. I sold the radions I had on the tank because the light spill was awful. I don't really keep alot of coral in that system anyway so I had some old current bars I put on there. I started looking at various knock offs and for the price of 2 of those I could get the blade. Reef dudes made a video with par readings on a 6ft. tank with one light and they were impressive. To me there's no wasted watts with these. The low profile design really helps with light spill in the room and gets the watts on your coral. The spread is amazing for such a narrow bar. One of these is plenty for my AIO. They are bright as well. We like the way they look so much I'm considering getting 2 of the 57" to put on my reefer. On smaller tanks that just need one light these are a no brainer.The par readings reef dudes got were 250 at the top 100 on the sand bed and 70-80 in the corners. With 2 lights it doubled and that was on a deep 6ft. Peninsula. The par was pretty much the same with the glow and the grow version.

Last edited:

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question guys,

What lights are the affected AI blades with different color at the edges?

Are the Grow or the Glow or both?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, question for blade owners.

When using the supplied tank rest supports on the 12” model, whats the smallest tank width that will work. Will a tank 11.8” wide work?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I got 2X AI blade grow in feb for a RS reefer 300xl main reason trying to keep light spill down.
finally got the tank up and running and fliped on the lights and........................................yup the cord side is brighter so show I reach out to AI about replacement?
has the issues been fixed?

IDK seems like there not gonna do anything about it? sucks I really like the light othet than that. only been running 2 days tho.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been through six replacements and all the grows exhibit this issue. I keep going through the motions to raise awareness and AI customer service knows it. They had a special technician review the units most recently before sending them out to me. I told them it’s a waste of effort if nothing has changed with the design. The issue is not a isolated, it is by design, present. They keep saying thank you for your patience and sending out replacements. It is getting quite confusing between installation and taking down units and I will likely stop soon as I’ve reached as many hours as I can put into this.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been through six replacements and all the grows exhibit this issue. I keep going through the motions to raise awareness and AI customer service knows it. They had a special technician review the units most recently before sending them out to me. I told them it’s a waste of effort if nothing has changed with the design. The issue is not a isolated, it is by design, present. They keep saying thank you for your patience and sending out replacements. It is getting quite confusing between installation and taking down units and I will likely stop soon as I’ve reached as many hours as I can put into this.
crazy. yeah that is what I was wondering wast of time and energy of there going to send out the same units.

I would think a 25% + REFUND and or getting V2s a cost. ( if there ever going to make a V2 that is) IDK it's a real disappointment that for sure.

on the good news tho the other half really like how there is alot less light spill in the room and that was the whole point of going with them so a win for me there.

for the price point I dont feel like we should have to just live with the color difference.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was told by Aperture that a fix had taken place or was taking place on the Grow issues. Mine have the color difference but it is very subtle and no one has noticed it unless I tell them.

I agree that AI needs to replace ALL of the Grow models with an updated V2 when available. Why the white LED diode isn't in the middle of the cluster baffles me. They can say they beta tested these but they didn't. Because of my relationship with BRS, I have given them an earful on how poorly this release went and that they need to step up and fix this issue for everyone with zero hesitation. Not sure it means much but I know they have heard our complaints loud and clear.

Having that said, lots of people are buying these with very few issues and my buddy's Grow is more uniform than mine. He got his in the last month or so.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back