AquaIllumination Blade Announced

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone measured the length of the light panel vs the black frame end sections yet? Trying to gauge actual size of lighting area.

On the 57” model, 1 to 1.25” on each end. Each LED strip/cluster is 8.5” and there is 1.5” center to center of each LED cluster.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright, time to ruffle some feathers. I’m breaking my social media sabbatical because this has to be brought up.

My replacement light showed up today from FedEx (the worst possible company to ever ship anything with) and is absolutely destroyed. Pics below:

CCC863CD-3FE0-468C-8BF9-5C543BAF200C.jpeg

C18C8BC3-E51C-4DAA-BAB5-C3378B193A04.jpeg
2EEBBB1A-98F0-44F4-9957-D26094412A70.jpeg
107102DE-435D-4B49-A5B7-C7E7612BE720.jpeg

Now, I FULLY understand that AI can’t control FedEx in any way (although they continue to use them even with all the known issues) but what I’m about to show has NOTHING to do with FedEx and what they did. This is 100% on AI and their absolutely garbage QC. Yep, I said it. This is unacceptable on so many levels.

6E99B359-8E5F-4E11-AF87-9CE7FE99C6CA.jpeg
220E39B7-E111-44EE-A442-F66B1EC07E3B.jpeg

Wires exposed even worse than before (I’ve gotten multiple messages from others with the same issue since my original post about this) and the one end cap is just gone. Like it was never installed. But but but FedEx’s damage!!! Nope. The light was completely wrapped in the plastic sheath that is sealed on the one end and the AI box was completely sealed still. FedEx didn’t open the box, remove the end plate, and seal the box back up with original AI stickers lol

Because I’m not a total Kevin, AI and Aperture are VERY aware of the issues now after my email and phone call and this all being looked into.

My opinion is to avoid these lights at all costs right now. AI needs to put out a recall of some kind and have every first batch light checked and replaced immediately along with a very big sorry (monetary compensation IMO).

I still believe these lights are going to be kick butt in the future but they need to get past the first batch hiccups.

PS - I got a good look at the guts and will make another post showing those off.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of all the cracked radions when they were new.

These things seem to sort themselves out in time but ya.. they need one of those guys that inspects the light before shipping and slaps a sticker on it "Inspected by Joe"

The missing endcap is just weird.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reminds me of all the cracked radions when they were new.

These things seem to sort themselves out in time but ya.. they need one of those guys that inspects the light before shipping and slaps a sticker on it "Inspected by Joe"

The missing endcap is just weird.

Absolutely, things like this happen. At least with the cracked Radions we could replace the part ourselves. I was part of that as well. I jump the gun wanting to try stuff too quickly at times.

The problem here is this can’t be repaired at home. I tried on my original light. This is purely a poor design and someone trying to cut corners. The black insulation should extend into the light completely.

Royal_pudding

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, time to ruffle some feathers. I’m breaking my social media sabbatical because this has to be brought up.

My replacement light showed up today from FedEx (the worst possible company to ever ship anything with) and is absolutely destroyed. Pics below:

CCC863CD-3FE0-468C-8BF9-5C543BAF200C.jpeg

C18C8BC3-E51C-4DAA-BAB5-C3378B193A04.jpeg
2EEBBB1A-98F0-44F4-9957-D26094412A70.jpeg
107102DE-435D-4B49-A5B7-C7E7612BE720.jpeg

Now, I FULLY understand that AI can’t control FedEx in any way (although they continue to use them even with all the known issues) but what I’m about to show has NOTHING to do with FedEx and what they did. This is 100% on AI and their absolutely garbage QC. Yep, I said it. This is unacceptable on so many levels.

6E99B359-8E5F-4E11-AF87-9CE7FE99C6CA.jpeg
220E39B7-E111-44EE-A442-F66B1EC07E3B.jpeg

Wires exposed even worse than before (I’ve gotten multiple messages from others with the same issue since my original post about this) and the one end cap is just gone. Like it was never installed. But but but FedEx’s damage!!! Nope. The light was completely wrapped in the plastic sheath that is sealed on the one end and the AI box was completely sealed still. FedEx didn’t open the box, remove the end plate, and seal the box back up with original AI stickers lol

Because I’m not a total Kevin, AI and Aperture are VERY aware of the issues now after my email and phone call and this all being looked into.

My opinion is to avoid these lights at all costs right now. AI needs to put out a recall of some kind and have every first batch light checked and replaced immediately along with a very big sorry (monetary compensation IMO).

I still believe these lights are going to be kick butt in the future but they need to get past the first batch hiccups.

PS - I got a good look at the guts and will make another post showing those off.
Holy ****!
Man, im skittish on these now. Cant afford to have something like this happen. And really, I don't expect to have worries about a product priced this generously.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, things like this happen. At least with the cracked Radions we could replace the part ourselves. I was part of that as well. I jump the gun wanting to try stuff too quickly at times.

The problem here is this can’t be repaired at home. I tried on my original light. This is purely a poor design and someone trying to cut corners. The black insulation should extend into the light completely.

Ya I am not sure what you could do besides open it up and anchor the wire inside more. Not sure that endcap is meant to come off tho.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ya I am not sure what you could do besides open it up and anchor the wire inside more. Not sure that endcap is meant to come off tho.

I didn’t see a way without serious intrusion or work. If they would just make the black insulation like an inch longer to extend into the light, this wouldn’t be an issue

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You know... I am REALLY getting sick of these companies cutting corners and terrible quality "control"...

And putting products out BEFORE they are ready...

It was this company (parent) before also - with the cracking Radions..., etc. - now this...

There are others, also...

Doesn't anyone care about their NAME anymore...?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know... I am REALLY getting sick of these companies cutting corners and terrible quality "control"...

It was this company (parent) before also - with the cracking Radions..., etc. - now this...

I am very good friends with basically the top Aquarium Store in my area, and they said this whole release was super rushed. How do you release the light before the mounting systems? ( I am a huge AI fan so I feel like I can bash them without being criticized lol)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The cracked Radions get brought up a lot but that was a simple over tightening of the screws. One little bump and the torque wrench is off from what it should be. That’s a simple mistake and not a sign of QC issues IMO.

Both my lights (plus many others now) having exposed wires is a QC issue for sure. Throw in the missing end plate on mine and this screams a massive RUSH job to get to market too quick.

It should be a pretty easy fix for batch number two and that is when I will likely look at these again. For now, I’ve asked BRS for my money back and for AI to not send me a replacement light.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not to derail the thread too much: how good/bad is Kessil QC and build quality? My ap9x is holding up really well, but had it for only 3 months now.

All AI lights I owned had burned lenses (cant imagine how bad that would be it if happens on the Blade series). Ecotech replaced my G5 Radions twice under warranty, once due to connection issues and the second one was shipped with a faulty fan. A saving grace; both AI and Ecotech has excellent customer service.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail the thread too much: how good/bad is Kessil QC and build quality? My ap9x is holding up really well, but had it for only 3 months now.

I've seen some recent reports of some LED shenanigans in Kessil lights. Swapping whites for blues.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All AI lights I owned had burned lenses (cant imagine how bad that would be it if happens on the Blade series). Ecotech replaced my G5 Radions twice under warranty, once due to connection issues and the second one was shipped with a faulty fan. A saving grace; both AI and Ecotech has excellent customer service.

I have some kessils and my main understanding is that dust is their enemy like badddd... and that a can of air isn't really good enough.

There are actually threads and videos on deep cleaning kessils.

I also saw some posts on people who upgraded the fan.

If you can keep the dust out, they are supposed to be good.

I would not crack it open until after warranty expires :p

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If true, that would change the entire spectrum!

Sort of... what I saw was some white LEDs replacing what used to be blue LEDs. Then speculation that firmware was updated to compensate (spectrum) for the LED change, thus explaining why the "90w" light only draws 74w at full power.

There are pictures that seem to corroborate the LED change-up.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.8%
Back