AquaIllumination Blade Announced

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of reefi @DanyL mic dropped some pics of his display with older reefi's in post #32 here:

Scroll up a bit from that and there are some nice looking pics under reef breeders as well.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A broken/bent light (which still lights up completely) is a good place to examine things closer.

While the insulation pulling back on the wires is a bad look, it is purely cosmetic. Where the wires enter the light it is completely sealed with an epoxy/glue/silicone/whatever. I placed water on the hole and let it sit for over 24 hours now. No leaks or gaps. I also tried shooting light and air through the hole with nothing getting through.

My FW 12" Blade for my chaeto came in today and is built much better IMO. The cord insulation is completely in the endplate with no exposed wires. The O rings were also perfect on this one. I am going to try it out over the one end of my tank to see how it looks over a SW tank before installing it on my sump. The FW Blades were made later than the SW versions so this may simply be a case of first batch issues.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there is no excuse for that cheap, virtually non-existent, packaging...

Had they paid a little more for better packaging that actually supported and protected the light - it more than likely would have arrived in perfect condition (minus the bad wiring, etc...)

And what is with the larger versions...? It appears that the smaller versions come in a white box with full color printing, etc...

While the larger ones come in a plain brown box... with the word blade in white - that's it...?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Had they paid a little more for better packaging that actually supported and protected the light - it more than likely would have arrived in perfect condition (minus the bad wiring, etc...)

And what is with the larger versions...? It appears that the smaller versions come in a white box with full color printing, etc...

While the larger ones come in a plain brown box... with the word blade in white - that's it...?

probably didn't have time to make the boxes yet - maybe they are with the mounting options :p

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the only thing that would have prevented that damage would have been either for AI to put it inside a piece of tube steel or for them to hand deliver it themselves.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

No amount of packaging would have saved that light. The aluminum is actually very strong on these lights. I tried to bend it back into form over my knee and it wouldn’t budge.

The lights are actually very well packaged but no one can pack well enough to protect from FedEx

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recall around 2015 that Sony Bravia TVs were bending. Went to the local Best Buy and confirmed it. Bought a 2014 model. Sometimes thinner isn't better and perhaps the longer lengths best purchased at LFS where bulk packaging can better ensure perfect delivery vs hit or miss with FedEx or UPS carriers.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to our local coral farm yesterday and got to see/handle/play with a Blade in person. They had several different sizes of the Glows, but only the Glows. They have an 96x36x20 display/growout tank that has a row of 5-6 (can't remember) Gen 4 XR30s down the middle, mounted perpendicular to the length of the tank and about a foot above the water. The plan is to use the Blade Glows on each side to eliminate shading and add some PAR. Ironically enough, they're also waiting on the additional mounting options before they can actually use the lights.

Overall I was pretty impressed with the light. Construction seemed "beefy" enough, and I didn't see any of the defects (glue, exposed wiring, etc) that people have reported on the handful that he had opened for his own (farm/store) use. The long strips do deflect quite a bit, though.

The coverage really is as impressive as everyone says. We held the lights up over the tank similar to how they will eventually be mounted. When I turned the Radions down I was impressed with how much coverage the Blade puts out on its own. I didn't have a PAR meter, but visually it was pretty impressive given the size of the tank. The color mix with all channels at 100% is the typical Windex-y look everyone is used to. I didn't see the purple that a few people have mentioned unless I specifically adjusted for it, but lighting is all subjective.

All this is to say that I am even more depressed that they fell so sort on the spectrum and the need to buy multiple different Blades for use as a primary light. It comes so close to being the light I've been waiting for, for a LONG time. :(

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Treasure Corals video a few pages back shows how well they’re working and just how overblown this “full spectrum” tagline is being used.

I’ve been told the wiring issue has been resolved for all future batches so I will grab mine in a few months and be switching out all my halides for Blades

xCROv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I will, but I'll be watching this thread to see if this lights are also a good option as the only lights needed for SPS.

I'm still debating between 2 ReeFi or 3 AI Blades.
Finally just pulled the trigger on the Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro. Excited to get it mounted and try it out

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I caved and order 2X grow 30ers from BRS for my RS 300XL. I was on the fence for quite a while. my orginal plan was 2X AI primes but the #1 reason for the blades was to keep the light spill out of the room.
so this was/is the best option for me ( other than building a canopy witch i did not want to do)
anyway they are scheduled to come in on the 9th i'll report back.

PS: the Qunata pro bars was a real close call. but as these are my main light I wanted features thet they did not have.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update this thread just encase anyone is curious or searching down the rd about the AI blades.

my 1st impression:
packed very well from BRS both boxes came in perfect condition
opened 1 or 2 boxes so far.

~no exposed wires or glue marks on the light.
~the alum housing is very solid and "beefy"
~connection and updating the unit with the app was very fast like 2 min tops. 90 sec of that was firmware update.
~ both light and app are very responsive.

so far I am impressed best part its ultra slim low profile and minimal light pollution cast in the room #1 reason i went with these lights.

feel free to stop by my build thread and see more of this light.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone with 48” blades speak to the sag they might have?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total guess but from what I’ve seen it’s maybe 1/2” at most if you use them with the tank mounts
Right on. Im guessing this is eliminated with the hanging mounts as they grab towards the middle. Not liking the idea of plastic clips holding something over my tank but guess we won’t know until they release….the hanging kit….for the lights they already sell.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. Im guessing this is eliminated with the hanging mounts as they grab towards the middle. Not liking the idea of plastic clips holding something over my tank but guess we won’t know until they release….the hanging kit….for the lights they already sell.
I have seen some 3D printed one around the reef. I am sure some one is selling them by now or can get you the file if you got a 3D printer. but yes, it silly that we cant get the official ones from AI.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the insulation pulling back on the wires is a bad look, it is purely cosmetic.
This is inaccurate, Ryan. Instead of the strain relief being the jacket, it's now the wires. In the case of an unsupported wire run, the wire insulation could tear allowing the conductor to make contact with the body. The concern isn't an IP rating thing. It's an electrical thing. Any Blade with a damaged jacket should be returned/replaced.

From Jay Sperandio to me via email - "Shouldn't be many with the power cord issue - but if you see anyone with one let them know to reach out and we'll take care of it - that is definitely not acceptable and is with our QC team to fix."

Jimbo

Makomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone own these light duplicates what I’m having. I bought two 21” blade from two different venders and one came in last week. I notice the left side of my tank has more white while the other side has more blue. 21” have two cluster and each cluster lit out 2 different spectrum so I call AI customer service and they agree to sending out a replacement .It’s been 6 days and they haven’t ship it out yet, first time dealing with ecotech CS and it’s not looking good. Well yesterday I received the second one that was delay by the usps and the same issue happen again with this light. I’m very frustrated with their customer service not sending out the replacement and now with the second one having the same issue.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back