Aquamax DFC-280 awful noise

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I made a thread earlier on asking about this, but no one replied to it so here I am again. BRS has replaced the pump, so it has to be something I’ve done wrong, but I don’t understand what it could be. Here’s a video of what it sounds like when it’s just starting to act up, when it is loud enough to wake everyone up, and a photo of the setup. I have tried picking it up when it is making this noise to make sure it isn’t vibrating off of anything, etc. turning it off overnight and turning it back on fixes the issue.

the fish tank background is there to prevent the grow light from shining on the skimmer body. The skimmer was making this noise prior to its addition.

707EAFDE-FEBF-43D4-BFAD-D027297F00F0.jpeg 1118FC68-7229-4271-9D46-E73C36273C07.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5912.MOV
    7.9 MB
  • IMG_5911.MOV
    31.9 MB
OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking back on my old thread, I actually claimed I fixed this issue. not sure why I said that.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, unfortunately I did not. I don’t know if I mentioned it in this thread and don’t have time to reread, but I sent one back and bought a new one, and had the same issue. I informed them about this and they told me not to even return the one I have and just gave me a refund. I intended on emailing soon and see if they had fixed the issue or diagnosed it, but obviously they haven’t if yours has it too. I would try to email them just to see if they figured out a fix for our defective units, other wise they are quick and easy with the refund process.

Sucks because it seems and feels like such a high quality unit too! Granted I’ve never had a slimmer before and haven’t tried another one since, it was simple to setup.

Although the first one I had, the pump on it was defective in a different way which was really confusing for me as someone who didn’t know if it was supposed to be that way or not. It was fused together where it’s supposed to come apart. I’m not sure if I ever reported that to them, as they had sent me a new pump for the other issue anyways.

If you figure it out, please let me know! I’d love to use the skimmer I have that they let me keep.
Did you ever figure out the problem or did it go away on its own. I have the same problem.

AJ1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed BRS and told them I would like to return it. They sent me a replacement pump and it is just as loud. Pretty bummed because I like the design of the skimmer. Hopefully they refund me so I can get another skimmer.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed BRS and told them I would like to return it. They sent me a replacement pump and it is just as loud. Pretty bummed because I like the design of the skimmer. Hopefully they refund me so I can get another skimmer.
Same thing here. Wish there was a resolution by now, being months later.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I’m getting ready to move and just pulled this skimmer out of the depths of storage, and was curious if you found fix or if you ended up returning yours?

If anyone else sees this and has any ideas, all input is appreciated.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back