Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 modifications- SOLVED: leaking and overflowing

8675309TT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I was having a couple of issues with my Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 and wanted to share my solutions. Photos included.
  • Issue #1: the seal/stopper for the collection cup is poor AND/OR the skimate was too wet AND/OR the water level rose too high in the skimmer
  • Issue #2: the seal between the box and pvc inlet coupling is poor.
Solve #1:
  • Do not allow the air silencer to become flooded.
    • That can make the skimmate too wet.
    • It can also raise the water level in the skimmer to the point of overflowing/leaking between the skimmer and collection cup; leaks all over the floor.
    • The "rubber band" is a holder not a true seal.
  • Fix by adding a seal to the air silencer.
    • Use a garden hose seal from any hardware store.
    • Loosen silencer screw.
    • Place the seal between the bottom plate of the silencer and the cylinder.
    • Then retighten the screw.
Solve #2:
  • Water level can raise above pvc inlet joint and leak out all over the floor
    • Skip the red seal Aquamaxx provides.
    • Cut a 1" in diameter hose down the middle.
    • Splay it open like a gutter using the inlet tube to hold it open
    • Super glue it to the skimmer
    • Now when it overflows, it overflows into the aquarium and not the floor
Happy Reefing!!!

1655758022554.jpeg

1655758047387.jpeg

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just bought this f'n skimmer two days ago. Hung it on the back of my im nuvo 40... the inlet pipe was sucking in bubbles and making a gurgling noise that's total unacceptable. I used a piece of 1/2 pipe to lower the inlet and was like... I'm golden!! Thats a big fat no. For whatever reason it began overflowing all over my floor. Good thing I was there and paying attention. So now I'm debating using ur garden house trick or just returning this horribly designed skimmer to brs. I REALLY wanted this skimmer to work. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why it would have overflowed right after I extended the inlet tube??? I'm so freaking not happy right now.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I copied you... so far it's working great. I added green filter floss at the top of the T fitting to help with gurgling noise. Thanks for posting this

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disassemble the skimmer and put this stuff on all your pipe fittings/O rings and it will stop air and water leaks. It is safe for the aquarium.

Get the big tube. It is expensive but totally worth it.

Will prevent salt creep too in the right situations.

Screenshot_20220912-200858_Chrome.jpg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use the silencer and instead, i just plumbed in an outside airline. Got a nice pH boost from it too.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it for over 2 years with zero issues. I think its a great skimmer.
Have not done any mods to mine either. Other than running an outside airline for fresh o2.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After more playing around I'll say this... the o ring fix works great to keep water out of the silencer. The small channel placed under the inlet cutout does nothing to help with flooding. If the skimmer floods its coming out of the whole body, all around, it won't be diverted into the channel. All that said, as much as I hate to admit it, the overflowing was my fault. Placing anything in the T fitting on the outflow runs the risk of overflowing the skimmer.

Chipsworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using this skimmer for a year and a half. Have made a couple of changes though...
1. Removed the "T" fitting on outflow
2. Replaced it with a standard 3/4 elbow. Then replaced clear tubing with standard 3/4 PVC
3. At bottom of PVC, added another 3/4 elbow, and a short peice of pvc with another 3/4 elbow at end.

This basically creates a flow guide for all water ack to the top of the aquarium. It directs all air bubbles that way as well. This serves two purposes...
1. Helps in gas exchange on surface.
Keeps any micro or large bubbles from being pushed around and dispersed into the water column. (Hate micro bubbles in the water)

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been using this skimmer for a year and a half. Have made a couple of changes though...
1. Removed the "T" fitting on outflow
2. Replaced it with a standard 3/4 elbow. Then replaced clear tubing with standard 3/4 PVC
3. At bottom of PVC, added another 3/4 elbow, and a short peice of pvc with another 3/4 elbow at end.

This basically creates a flow guide for all water ack to the top of the aquarium. It directs all air bubbles that way as well. This serves two purposes...
1. Helps in gas exchange on surface.
Keeps any micro or large bubbles from being pushed around and dispersed into the water column. (Hate micro bubbles in the water)

I'll have to remove the T and see if it helps. I've already replaced the input tube with a longer piece of pvc, which helped with noise. Thanks for the ideas!

GregF85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread but I found that an outside airline with an adjustable valve really helped the overflow issue. It's definitely a design flaw. You really shouldn't have to modify a product to get it to work correctly, but it did correct the issue for me.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this is an older thread but I found that an outside airline with an adjustable valve really helped the overflow issue. It's definitely a design flaw. You really shouldn't have to modify a product to get it to work correctly, but it did correct the issue for me.
I think i stated earlier in this post- been a while! - that i accept full responsibility for overflowing the skimmer. I tried to silence it somewhat by putting a piece of filter floss in the top of the t fitting on the drain pipe. It went too far into that hole, thus causing the skimmer to overflow. Honestly, i haven’t had an issue with this skimmer since that happened. I no longer have that piece attached. I will say this though- lately, it has not been skimming worth a toot. I’ve also had really low pH. So, for the first time ever (8 months maybe) i went through the huge pita of removing the skimmer, completely disassembling and cleaning. It was skimming great within hours of reinstalling it. AND my pH went from a high of 8.1 durning the day to 8.25 and a low of 8. It is back to being a tad noisy but at least i know it’s working. Aquamaxx 1.5 is a great HOB/AC option once you work out all the kinks! (Microbubbles)

fishkat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I was having a couple of issues with my Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 and wanted to share my solutions. Photos included.
  • Issue #1: the seal/stopper for the collection cup is poor AND/OR the skimate was too wet AND/OR the water level rose too high in the skimmer
  • Issue #2: the seal between the box and pvc inlet coupling is poor.
Solve #1:
  • Do not allow the air silencer to become flooded.
    • That can make the skimmate too wet.
    • It can also raise the water level in the skimmer to the point of overflowing/leaking between the skimmer and collection cup; leaks all over the floor.
    • The "rubber band" is a holder not a true seal.
  • Fix by adding a seal to the air silencer.
    • Use a garden hose seal from any hardware store.
    • Loosen silencer screw.
    • Place the seal between the bottom plate of the silencer and the cylinder.
    • Then retighten the screw.
Solve #2:
  • Water level can raise above pvc inlet joint and leak out all over the floor
    • Skip the red seal Aquamaxx provides.
    • Cut a 1" in diameter hose down the middle.
    • Splay it open like a gutter using the inlet tube to hold it open
    • Super glue it to the skimmer
    • Now when it overflows, it overflows into the aquarium and not the floor
Happy Reefing!!!

1655758022554.jpeg

1655758047387.jpeg
Hi 8675...TT
I was looking at some old discussions and saw your pics. How did you get the skimmer pipes to fit into the space behind the top of the tank cover??
fishkat

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi 8675...TT
I was looking at some old discussions and saw your pics. How did you get the skimmer pipes to fit into the space behind the top of the tank cover??
fishkat
I know your question wasn’t directed at me but I’ll say this…I did the same thing to my skimmer after discussing issues in this post. The garden hose seal in the air silencer works great…No leaks. The little “gutter” for overflowing water is useless. If the skimmer gets to the point of overflowing, that gutter can not come close to keeping up. It will come out the top. I don’t know if you were even considering that but I thought I’d mention it. As far as your question about the pipes, I don’t understand what you mean. If you can clarify I might be able to help, but mine is on an IM 40cube AIO, not the tank in that picture.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back