Aquamaxx T3 Calcium Reactor -thoughts?

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the AquaMaxx calcium reactors, specifically the T3 model? I have a 300 gallon reef tank that I'm currently dosing with kalk, but I know I will eventually move to calcium reactor and saw this one on BRS. Other than a few reviews on BRS and a couple YouTube videos, there doesn't seem to be many reviews out there. If anyone is using this calcium reactor I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a T2 on my 180 that my tank outgrew. I replaced it with a different brand BUT i found it hard to keep my PH up with a CaRx so I switched to Kalk. Have you considered the ACI way ok kalk doing? I know that’s not what you asked but just something to consider.

OP
OP
Gill the 3rd

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a T2 on my 180 that my tank outgrew. I replaced it with a different brand BUT i found it hard to keep my PH up with a CaRx so I switched to Kalk. Have you considered the ACI way ok kalk doing? I know that’s not what you asked but just something to consider.
Thanks. I did watch a few videos on youtube where he explained his kalk dosing, but I didnt totally follow it. It seams like he was making a slurry and dosing that. I also read you can add vinegar to the kalk mix and that will allow you to dissolve more kalk to create an even high PH mix. I may still does kalk with the calcium reactor to help maintain my PH. Im also planning on using CO2 scrubber on my skimmer to help elevate the PH as well. I will have to see where all my numbers land when I set it up.

As far as the T2 - other than your tank outgrowing it, did you like it and/or have any issue with it?

Thanks

Fishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just swapped my small Geo reactor for the T-3 last month and it's been as expected so far. I have a 240 that now has some colonies and the Geo couldn't keep up. It seems pretty similar in build quality to the Geo and so far keeping everything stable. I really didn't see a reason to spend more on a more expensive one when it seems like a pretty simple concept.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Geo CR510 nano on my 120. When my coral growth became heavy and surpassed the capability of the 510, I swapped it out for a T-2. Much prefer the T-2.

The 510 didn't have a bubble counter, the T-2 does. I also like the simple pre-filter on the T-2 (510 didn't have a filter). And although its media chamber volume isn't much larger than the 510 was, the T-2 easily handles the alk consumption of the heavy-coral load in my 120.

Priming is real easy too. Just fill to the top via the ph probe port then, if you're using a pull configuration with a dosing pump, just make sure the dosing pump is up higher than the reactor. It will quickly and easily purge any remaining air. (If you're doing a old-style push configuration simply turning the feed pump on will purge the air.)

I like it so much, I'm hoping I can hang on to it when I upgrade to a 180 this winter. (It's rated to 500g, so even with a heavy coral load, it should handle it. **he says with fingers crossed**)

OP
OP
Gill the 3rd

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just swapped my small Geo reactor for the T-3 last month and it's been as expected so far. I have a 240 that now has some colonies and the Geo couldn't keep up. It seems pretty similar in build quality to the Geo and so far keeping everything stable. I really didn't see a reason to spend more on a more expensive one when it seems like a pretty simple concept.
Yea I'm looking at the prices and the aquamaxx looks pretty good and simple to use compared to others, I just didn't see many outside reviews on them. Thanks for letting me know your experience. I may go with the T-3 over the T-2 just to be safe.

OP
OP
Gill the 3rd

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Geo CR510 nano on my 120. When my coral growth became heavy and surpassed the capability of the 510, I swapped it out for a T-2. Much prefer the T-2.

The 510 didn't have a bubble counter, the T-2 does. I also like the simple pre-filter on the T-2 (510 didn't have a filter). And although its media chamber volume isn't much larger than the 510 was, the T-2 easily handles the alk consumption of the heavy-coral load in my 120.

Priming is real easy too. Just fill to the top via the ph probe port then, if you're using a pull configuration with a dosing pump, just make sure the dosing pump is up higher than the reactor. It will quickly and easily purge any remaining air. (If you're doing a old-style push configuration simply turning the feed pump on will purge the air.)

I like it so much, I'm hoping I can hang on to it when I upgrade to a 180 this winter. (It's rated to 500g, so even with a heavy coral load, it should handle it. **he says with fingers crossed**)
Glad to hear the T-2 is working well for you. Yea I think Im going to go with the T-3 given my tank size, just to be safe. I currently plan on using one of my manifold outlets off my return pump to pump through the reactor. Ive read mixed thoughts about doing it this way though. If that doesnt work I have a vectra dosing pump I can use to in a pull configuration. Thanks for the recommendation!

castroes165

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the AquaMaxx calcium reactors, specifically the T3 model? I have a 300 gallon reef tank that I'm currently dosing with kalk, but I know I will eventually move to calcium reactor and saw this one on BRS. Other than a few reviews on BRS and a couple YouTube videos, there doesn't seem to be many reviews out there. If anyone is using this calcium reactor I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
Hello,
We actually just got a T-3 but we do not know how to set it up, we watched so many videos and we are actually looking for help from someone that know how to set one up. If you know anyone please let me know. I appreciate any help!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a T3 to replace an old Korallin C1502 for a tank upgrade. Wouldn’t run anything but a CA reactor these days. Will report back on how well it works.

CA reactors are super simple. As long as the recirc pump works, and it’s not a giant pain to load more media, not much else goes wrong. The Eheim pump on that Korallin has probably been running for at least 18 years at this point…

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just bought a T3 to replace an old Korallin C1502 for a tank upgrade. Wouldn’t run anything but a CA reactor these days. Will report back on how well it works.

CA reactors are super simple. As long as the recirc pump works, and it’s not a giant pain to load more media, not much else goes wrong. The Eheim pump on that Korallin has probably been running for at least 18 years at this point…
any updates

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running an Avast Ca Reactor on my 150 and it could not keep up soI switched to the T3 and really liked it. I added a second chamber. I also got rid of the filter that it comes with. I liked the fact that once dialed init worked like a fine clock. I have since taken it off line as I had tank crash last year and am in the process of reseting. once the tank is back to it glory I will not hesitated to reinstall.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a t2 on a 200g for a year or so now. My honest opinion is that it is perfectly functional. I’m not exactly sure how all things being equal, (specifically volume 6inx18in for example, media, effluent dkh and flow rate), that there is much of a functional difference between reactor a, b, or c. Quality, aesthetics, durability are metrics where one manufacturer or model will shine over another. What you get with these is function. They use a sicce circulation pump just like some others. They are up flow just like some others. They use a pinch valve just like some others. My opinion is that pinch valves are a headache and will need to be flushed and fiddled with on occasion, nothing really wrong with that. If you outgrow the capability of x amount of media at x dkh and flow, you can add volume via a second chamber (most manufacturers offer this option).

Fishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still using mine. Works great so far. I liked my geo too, but for the price it can't be beat for the size of the t-3 alk stays steady which is the main reason we use them anyways.
1000012922.jpg

OP
OP
Gill the 3rd

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear everyone is liking it. The corals in my current tank are still small (but growing fast). Im currently dosing kalk and 2 part, but once that gets too much I am going to go to the T-3 calcium reactor. Thanks for the input.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back