Aquarium Controller, Friend or Foe?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using Hydros and when the internet goes it doesn’t work. As of right now I have no control.
As far as gear, is Netgear Nighthawk.
If it’s not connected correctly someone please guide me as this is an issue which greatly troubles me.
There is something happening with your router. If your home and are on the same 2.4ghz network as the hydros is set up on, you should be able to login through the app via wifi or bluetooth with no issues.

Im new to it, I recently purchased a XP8 so Im still learning a bit about it.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
107E3681-484E-4226-8177-4F55B92AC666.png

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@flyfisher2 can you get on the internet with your phone? If you can then you can create a hotspot and try to change the what the controller is using for WiFi. This should get your controller on the interent.
I can access internet with my phone. Will attempt this.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is my butler- it turns light on and off, feeds, monitors my parameters, adds water when needed via ATo and more.
My apex during internet outage continues to maintain settings
Okay as does mine. But are you able to turn things on and off while the internet is out?
Will ATO still work?
Will the heater go on if the tank temp drops?
This thing is frozen in whatever settings I programmed in case of internet outage and there is no changing anything.
Please note that all three controllers are responding in the same exact manner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay as does mine. But are you able to turn things on and off while the internet is out?
Will ATO still work?
Will the heater go on if the tank temp drops?
This thing is frozen in whatever settings I programmed in case of internet outage and there is no changing anything.
Please note that all three controllers are responding in the same exact manner
Yes on all - just tried it as you posed a good question

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is breathing red then you wifi is down. Here are a couple of videos of both no wifi and no internet. To access you controller without either wifi or internet you will need your phone wifi turned off but the bluetooth turned on. Once the app is up select the bluetooth icon on the left menu and choose the wifi master if you have more than one controller in a collective otherwise choose your controller. If it is breathing red and you only have wifi strips then it will not do much good until you get wifi back up and running. Some modem router combo's provided by you internet provider will not work without internet access from the provider. That may be you case. I use my own router and just use the providers cable modem only. If you cannot do that you may want to look into a XP8 for the future. That has a controller built in and once in a collective with your other Hydros controllers they communicate via the command buss and will continue to communicate without wifi or internet with each other via the command buss.

No Wifi

No Internet

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is breathing red then you wifi is down. Here are a couple of videos of both no wifi and no internet. To access you controller without either wifi or internet you will need your phone wifi turned off but the bluetooth turned on. Once the app is up select the bluetooth icon on the left menu and choose the wifi master if you have more than one controller in a collective otherwise choose your controller. If it is breathing red and you only have wifi strips then it will not do much good until you get wifi back up and running. Some modem router combo's provided by you internet provider will not work without internet access from the provider. That may be you case. I use my own router and just use the providers cable modem only. If you cannot do that you may want to look into a XP8 for the future. That has a controller built in and once in a collective with your other Hydros controllers they communicate via the command buss and will continue to communicate without wifi or internet with each other via the command buss.

No Wifi

No Internet

Thank you for the detailed explanation. The router is my own, a Netgear Nighthawk. The phone shows full bars as being no connected to the router as do my lights and other items in house but no functions as internet is down.
I reset one of the controllers in Bluetooth and it began flashing green like your YouTube video but did nothing else in terms of functions.
I was not able to make any changes. When it’s flashing green will it communicate with the wifi strips?

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No Wifi

No Internet

Just to be clear, if my wifi continues to stay down or an incident like this were to happpen in the future the Hydros controller will not communicate with the wifi strips until the internet is restored?
Short of replacing all my wifi strips with the new XP8 is there any work a rounds?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Did you configure the Hydros with a static IP or is it set to DHCP connection? On your phone, can you manually look for your routers wifi signal and try to connect?
I don't think this is a Hydros issue. Troubleshoot your LAN then deal with the Hydros.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the detailed explanation. The router is my own, a Netgear Nighthawk. The phone shows full bars as being no connected to the router as do my lights and other items in house but no functions as internet is down.
I reset one of the controllers in Bluetooth and it began flashing green like your YouTube video but did nothing else in terms of functions.
I was not able to make any changes. When it’s flashing green will it communicate with the wifi strips?
If your wifi is up and then wifi strip itself is communicating with it as well as the controller the controller will continue to control it. One way to find out is in blue tooth if the wifi strip is not in communication it will be read. The only thing you can do in bluetooth mode is switch an output between Off/Auto/On. It will let you do that but it will not let you change any of the setup since that has to be loaded to the cloud when that is done. Below is a screenshot in bluetooth mode with one wifi strip not responding. The output that is on that strip is also red in the screenshot. Bluetooth on mine does not continue to monitor. You have to press refresh to get another poll of the controller.

7F5F29E5-42E2-4245-A299-C7D695E7DE4E.png

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, if my wifi continues to stay down or an incident like this were to happpen in the future the Hydros controller will not communicate with the wifi strips until the internet is restored?
Short of replacing all my wifi strips with the new XP8 is there any work a rounds?
If it is breathing green then you have wifi and you should be able to control the wifi strips. I have had mine loose com for a second or two when the internet drops but will connect back up without the internet. I loose internet several times a day and that has not been an issue unless I am in the middle of setting something up. Then I have to wait till I get internet back. If your modem is separate from your router you can test it by powering down your modem. I got the videos by first powering down my router and on the second one I powered down the modem only. I would wait till you are all back up and running on your internet before doing any testing though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah well at this point nothing is responding so I have no choice.
Century Link coming Wednesday so I’m back on the 80’s
5 gallon bucket and a dip cup for ATO
LOL

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is breathing green then you have wifi and you should be able to control the wifi strips. I have had mine loose com for a second or two when the internet drops but will connect back up without the internet. I loose internet several times a day and that has not been an issue unless I am in the middle of setting something up. Then I have to wait till I get internet back. If your modem is separate from your router you can test it by powering down your modem. I got the videos by first powering down my router and on the second one I powered down the modem only. I would wait till you are all back up and running on your internet before doing any testing though.
Yes, same here. Never had a long no internet situation
Like O said before, I’m just glad I’m here to deal with it in person
Century Link did their testing and determined it’s a line issue that needs a tech.
Not my router/ modem
I’ve been reading the instructions for installing the hydros and I followed this to the T
Let’s wait for everything to come back then I’ll follow the testing
Don’t want this to happen again.
It’s one thing to be without Netflix and YouTube
But a totally different issue to not be able to Control the controller!

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s flashing green
I went in on Bluetooth tried to turn things on or off
No response
I came back to the “+” added my router and reinstalled it.
It took it successfully but the wifi outlets are not responding.

Attachments

• D4955B8B-0E0A-47E0-91FF-17741A697D2F.png
    D4955B8B-0E0A-47E0-91FF-17741A697D2F.png
    485 KB · Views: 19
  • 70197158-F29E-44FA-90D1-CF48EB556732.jpeg
    70197158-F29E-44FA-90D1-CF48EB556732.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 18
  • D072AF7D-A9DA-48D9-8237-131EDFEB28B7.png
    D072AF7D-A9DA-48D9-8237-131EDFEB28B7.png
    487.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DD2C851B-5049-444C-8E64-AA8D607DC70A.png
    DD2C851B-5049-444C-8E64-AA8D607DC70A.png
    487.1 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because your internet connection is down doesn't mean your local network is down. think about it like an umbrella. your router is the umbrella and your network is under it. The internet is the rain. you don't need rain to use your umbrella...
I like your analogy and I get it but there’s no rain and the umbrella decided that it’s not gonna open til the first drops start falling.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 190 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back