Aquarium controllers and their lack of luster

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium controllers and their lack luster maintenance and calendar functions.

So rather than inputting notes that you have go back through and attempt to assemble some kind of cohesive timeline of maintenance tasks which you have previously logged into your controller. Let's do better.

How about something that makes sense.

Let's have options to add serviceable assets; things which we want to maintain.

These should be able to be named so they are simple to identify.

Return pump
Skimmer
Auto feeder
pH probe
X reactor
Y reactor
Bla bla bla, go crazy.

Now we should be able to enter a normal maintenance schedule for each asset. This will go into the calendar and pushed out as notifications at an interval that we set for each maintenance item.

So we can select 1 week prior notice maintenance due for maintenance item A. Let's say pull and clean the return pump.

And we can select 1 day prior notice maintenance due for maintenance item B. Let's say clean the skimmer cup.

Perhaps a persistent recurring notice until marked as completed (it's on you if you claim you did it when you did not).

If we want to know the last time we swapped out the carbon then we can select the carbon asset and it will show us everything related to that asset in a list form or calendar form. Whatever you like.

You don't need to sort through unorganized maintenance and calendar log items to find what you are looking for.

Basiclly this is what we already have but customizable to show you what you want quickly, easily, and in a visually friendly format. More searchable.

Why are reminders and calendars two different things? Shouldn't my reminder show up on my calendar? Shouldn't my calendar events alert me when they are due?

When I go into the calendar, the only information conveyed is what day and month of the year it is. Really? Oh sorry I get the year too.

Where are my little indicators of a maintenance task completed or a test logged? When I click on a day which I know something happened, what happens… the same thing that happens when you click on any day, nothing.

The calendar is exactly that and nothing else.

Why can't I see my test results on the calendar when the dates the tests were logged are listed on the graph of the test results?

IDK. This all seams like simple user interface common sense to me.

Let's do better, after 25 years this is pretty embarrassing.

And some Z for good measure...
Argument Marie GIF by NETFLIX

I'm done.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back