OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
water change, the jugs are just too heavy. have a pump on order to hopefully fix it.
I used a pump to return water to tank years ago and was very quick and efficient. Now I have a station

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like having the work done.

I dread cleaning the front and viewable side of the tank. Why'd I buy acrylic?!
Put these on a mag float or mag cleaner of your choice and you’re fine. Magic eraser works amazing also! It’s no more work than cleaning glass just different tools.

Attachments

• IMG_2971.png
    IMG_2971.png
    269 KB · Views: 27

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put these on a mag float or mag cleaner of your choice and you’re fine. Magic eraser works amazing also! It’s no more work than cleaning glass just different tools.
I made a scraper that holds a magic eraser on one side and a bit of acrylic on the other, that works well enough. It's the coralline though, it's a nightmare.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a scraper that holds a magic eraser on one side and a bit of acrylic on the other, that works well enough. It's the coralline though, it's a nightmare.
Credit card or wand with plastic blade.. easy peesy, lemon squeezy! Haha

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I like having the work done.

I dread cleaning the front and viewable side of the tank. Why'd I buy acrylic?!
Acrylic very easy at least for me to clean. White pad for sure. While pricey, I use the mighty magnets which are very effective

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a pump to return water to tank years ago and was very quick and efficient. Now I have a station
the 32 gallon is easy using a 1/2 gallon pitcher. 6 quick scoops out then back in for 3 gallons. 10 gallons though is a different story. at least I don't have to heat the water for the Octo tank.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.. like it all and very satisfying when the fish look so happy and colorful after water change etc if I had to pick would say filter socks and emptying skimmer are 2 least liked activities.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As part of the hobby, maintenance of some fashion is needed or warranted whether it be simple change of filter socks, cleaning glass, changing water, cleaning pumps and skimmers and of course changing water.

Do you enjoy doing the typical chores or do you despise them?
What is the one task you dread doing when it comes to maintenance and why?

For me - Its the algae scrubber. So many nooks and crannies and you just cant get it all.
I do enjoy maintenance. It gives me something to do and I find it to be pretty zen.

I used to hate changing filter socks, so I replaced them with a fleece roller. Now I hate changing that.

ReefAqua2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind most of it. Cleaning glass= easy. Water changes = no sweat. Soaking powerheads and pumps in citric acid = Simple. But replacing the fleece roller on a trigger sump is such a chore. Can’t they just make it easy?
I used to hate replacing the fleece roller too and then caught a trick from someone on YouTube. When your roller is getting close to the end, staple the end of the fleece to the fleece on the replacement roller. You want to slightly overlap the fleece and put staples across the entire width. The first time I did it, I pulled it through to make sure it didn’t “stick” but after that I discovered it would just roll through with the staples.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reallllly don't like the longer term maintenance items. Cleaning the return pump, the skimmer body. The SUMP. Ugh.

I have my skimmate cup going into a reservoir so it's just a dump, powerheads, not a problem. But having to wrestle out my skimmer body or siphon the sump I just dread.

On the other hand, having it freshly cleaned gives me a dopamine rush for a couple weeks when I look at it. What are you going to do?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to hate filling my 3 ato tanks. I injured my hip 3 years ago and it got worse.
On my new 2 tank setups I have a hose that I can attatch to my 275g rodi tote. I have a ball valve attatched and can run the hose to the tanks. No more filling, lifting, or carrying.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to hate replacing the fleece roller too and then caught a trick from someone on YouTube. When your roller is getting close to the end, staple the end of the fleece to the fleece on the replacement roller. You want to slightly overlap the fleece and put staples across the entire width. The first time I did it, I pulled it through to make sure it didn’t “stick” but after that I discovered it would just roll through with the staples.
Awesome! Gonna give this a shot.

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate cleaning the sump because I have to take almost everything out and it’s inside the cabinet so it’s all on hands and knees. Also hate cleaning Gyres since I have to soak them then take them apart and scrub them. Leaning over the soak bucket to scrub kills my lower back after a while. Getting better at replacing the filter roll on Trigger Platinum but still a pain since it’s way back at one end of the cabinet. I now cut the dirty roll off at about 50% when it starts getting too thick to roll straight and smooth. Plus it reduces load on the motor.

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to hate cleaning filter socks every other day. Now I have a fleece roller I mostly enjoy all of it. I put some nice music and go in zen mode while cleaning. Such a good feeling looking at corals and happy fish through clean glass and crystal clear water.

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do enjoy maintenance. It gives me something to do and I find it to be pretty zen.

I used to hate changing filter socks, so I replaced them with a fleece roller. Now I hate changing that.
Honestly though why is replacing the fleece roller so difficult? Every single time I have a small emotional break-down trying to remember the order

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two mp40,s and two extra wetsides switch out takes two mins and cleaning was easy as soaking in citric acid
I have 3 mp40’s currently running with spare wet sides and then a hydros controller running 2 ice cap gyres which are a pain to clean since I’m ocd and gotta scrub them spotless haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back