Maintenance - Yay or Nay?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As part of the hobby, maintenance of some fashion is needed or warranted whether it be simple change of filter socks, cleaning glass, changing water, cleaning pumps and skimmers and of course changing water.

Do you enjoy doing the typical chores or do you despise them?
What is the one task you dread doing when it comes to maintenance and why?

For me - Its the algae scrubber. So many nooks and crannies and you just cant get it all.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy it, but I bet my answer would be different if I had more than 2 systems or if I had a monster tank.

I used to hate water changes, but after having refined my process it generally takes me less than 20 minutes for each tank...

For the algae scrubber, I don't go too hard trying to get all the algae off, just a quick expired credit card scrape and rinse. It seems that some residual algae helps it regrow for the next harvest, after all!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want an algae scrubber
get one, they're awesome (in my opinion)

1709828566211.png

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I enjoy it, but I bet my answer would be different if I had more than 2 systems or if I had a monster tank.

I used to hate water changes, but after having refined my process it generally takes me less than 20 minutes for each tank...

For the algae scrubber, I don't go too hard trying to get all the algae off, just a quick expired credit card scrape and rinse. It seems that some residual algae helps it regrow for the next harvest, after all!
I only run large tanks and its been way easier for me versus past smaller tanks

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for me it's making water haha. Having to lug a bucket that is filled with water, and trying to not splash it everywhere can be annoying at times.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have five tanks to maintain. I don’t mind water changes, but my bane is usually cleaning the glass. Only because I haven’t made it convenient because of various reasons. Also coraline grows everywhere.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you gotta switch to using brute trashcans with wheels! They make wheeled dollies for 5 gal buckets too...

brute: https://amzn.to/4c4ktNq
5 gal: https://amzn.to/43f5fRF
If I had space for a brute then I would 100% get one, but between my small apartment that has little space and my cats. That brute would eat up so much space haha. I definitely will end up getting one once I get a bigger place

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As part of the hobby, maintenance of some fashion is needed or warranted whether it be simple change of filter socks, cleaning glass, changing water, cleaning pumps and skimmers and of course changing water.

For me - Its the algae scrubber. So many nooks and crannies and you just cant get it all.
I don’t enjoy any of that stuff. But I do it.
I do enjoy dosing stuff though. Not sure why, but, I like that.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is pretty low maintenance so I don't mind most of the chores. The only chore I really dislike is parameter testing which is the main reason I moved my tank toward easy coral and easy fish. I only test nitrates and phosphates now, and only if something looks off.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind most of it. Cleaning glass= easy. Water changes = no sweat. Soaking powerheads and pumps in citric acid = Simple. But replacing the fleece roller on a trigger sump is such a chore. Can’t they just make it easy?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I enjoy being "hands on" with my tanks!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's filling up the ATO. I love my partner, but they wanted a functional second bathroom instead of my water station room, so now all the rodi and salt mixing stuff is in the shed. This means lugging full 5 gallon buckets from the shed to the house

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I enjoy the maintenance, and because I have an old school system (tank, HOB filter, and skimmer, with a newer canister) there is quite a bit. But I look at it as getting into things in depth, often! I only have one tank, and that will always be the case, so for me, I enjoy it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back