This task is a true headache on my tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We all have various tasks to perform outside of periodic maintenance such as cleaning out a scrubber unit or skimmer as well as cleaning return/flow pumps which causes us to shut down a system periodically to perform a cleaning.

What task(s) do you perform which you either dread or procrastinate because you were Not looking forward to it?

For me- Cleaning out the scrubber unit. Its near impossible to reach every corner and remove slime and algae and often reconnecting does not go smooth. Same with skimmer. I never look forward to dismantling unit to get to the pump but these tasks must be done periodically for equipment efficiency.

What task is your headache?
Have you over time found ways to make it easier?

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate feeding my fish. I know… blasphemy. That and brushing over the glass daily/every other day to remove algae before it sticks. This wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t have an 8 foot peninsula tank (not a true peninsula, but I still have 3 sides to clean)

Arkardios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to be daily dosing until I got an autodoser. Those are a blessing!
Also, setting up a fresh batch of artemia cysts to hatch. Unfortunately my clown goby is picky and so far will only eat live brine shrimp.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Techniques, design, equipment choices... You can effectively design a system that eliminates much of the hassle and distasteful tasks, if you spend some time to think it through up front.

My peninsula tank is 16" tall, and mounted low, with the light bar mounted fairly high, making it very easy to reach any part of the display for cleaning. Run a Tunze magnet around once a week, no big deal. The sump and other life support systems are in a closet, behind the tank. It's a bit crowded, but I can get in there, reach anything I need to, and there is no working from my knees under the stand. I dislike skimmer mess, so I don't run a skimmer. ATO system is plumbed directly into the RO/DI filter, just change the filter cartridges as needed... and they're conveniently located. Kalkwasser reactor from Avast! is probably the biggest mess I have to clean up, and I only do that twice a year.

SumpCloset.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HATE replacing my UV bulb. It's awkward to reach. It's awkward to get out. I've also accidentally shattered the quartz sleeve before since it's so delicate. Just a painful task. Cleaning my chaeto of detritus once a month or so is an honorable mention

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I HATE replacing my UV bulb. It's awkward to reach. It's awkward to get out. I've also accidentally shattered the quartz sleeve before since it's so delicate. Just a painful task. Cleaning my chaeto of detritus once a month or so is an honorable mention
That is a true pain

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cleaning aclilic tank from Coralie algae and trying not to scratch panels.
Heck no! I didn't find an easier way. If there is one tell me! Lol
Been there and mighty magnet was a savior
Tried urchins and no dice

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning anything with a cord attached.
I can't stand messy wiring, so I have everything strapped and wrapped nice and pretty. It's a royal PITA to undo everything and then redo it when stuff needs cleaning.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning anything with a cord attached.
I can't stand messy wiring, so I have everything strapped and wrapped nice and pretty. It's a royal PITA to undo everything and then redo it when stuff needs cleaning.
Have you ever thought about using 2 cords instead of one, so you have a "break" point you can just unplug?

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to be daily dosing until I got an autodoser. Those are a blessing!
Also, setting up a fresh batch of artemia cysts to hatch. Unfortunately my clown goby is picky and so far will only eat live brine shrimp.
Just a question, have you seen the in tank hatching units available on Amazon? Looks like easy peasy, just add eggs. I have one for 125 upgrade

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just a question, have you seen the in tank hatching units available on Amazon? Looks like easy peasy, just add eggs. I have one for 125 upgrade
These have been around for many years but work although there are a lot of eggs that don't hatch.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst is cleaning and filling my calcium reactors. Only needed every couple years if you can run a big enough one.
For return pump cleaning I just pull and replace. I have doubles of everything if something is needed.
Cleaning encrusted powerheads is no fun. I usually wait until they are fully encrusted. Having a replcement sure helps so the pumps never out of action.
Sump cleaning is one I dont look forward to especially in a sump with partions, like my current build.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back