Aquarium disaster

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been trying to do things the right way, I have my fish in quarantine getting copper treatment, I built an algae turf scrubber, started carbon dosing. Getting ready for a reef aquarium. This morning my heater exploded and blew a hole in my sump. I have to admit after 5 years in the hobby today was my first that I wanted to quit. Any suggestions on a 3 chamber sump 30x15x15? Anybody else ever had an experience like this?

20170412_085552.jpg

20170412_083512.jpg

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking at the cap, I can't recognize this heater, which makes me think it's something "cheapish"? Don't mean any offense. Possibly even Aquatop, which is just a best guess by the cap design. I see thread all the time of cheap Chinese heaters exploding unfortunately. A friend of mine had an aquatop explode also a few months ago, blow threw the sump, flood the bedroom.

My personal advice - get good equipment. It's worth it.

For great sumps - Elite Aquatics.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the cap, I can't recognize this heater, which makes me think it's something "cheapish"? Don't mean any offense. Possibly even Aquatop, which is just a best guess by the cap design. I see thread all the time of cheap Chinese heaters exploding unfortunately. A friend of mine had an aquatop explode also a few months ago, blow threw the sump, flood the bedroom.

My personal advice - get good equipment. It's worth it.

For great sumps - Elite Aquatics.
Thanks I appreciate the advice, this was a cheap heater, I have been buying good equipment this year, skimz skimmer, radions, apex controller. Never even thought about the heater. I had an aqueon and this cheaper one in my sump, I won't make that mistake again. Thanks for the recommendation on a sump!

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since you have an apex, I highly recommend Finnex Titanium heaters. They are metal (titanium, duuh) and solid. The reason why I mentioned Apex, Finnex Controllers are junkish, same cheap components, but heating element itself is great. When controlled through the Apex it's a win.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I appreciate the advice, this was a cheap heater, I have been buying good equipment this year, skimz skimmer, radions, apex controller. Never even thought about the heater. I had an aqueon and this cheaper one in my sump, I won't make that mistake again. Thanks for the recommendation on a sump!
Sorry about your sump. Get a titanium heater. Glass heaters have so many issues. I had one nearly electrocute me. I felt the current a split second before I even stuck my hand in the sump. Glad I have good reflexes!

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your sump. Get a titanium heater. Glass heaters have so many issues. I had one nearly electrocute me. I felt the current a split second before I even stuck my hand in the sump. Glad I have good reflexes!
I will definitely be getting a titanium heater, what do yall think about trigger sumps?

LJC6780

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a custom Trigger last year and absolutely love it.

Sump5_zpsxpjopjin.jpg

Sump4_zpshjlkyrmw.jpg

That's almost like mine. Mine is the emerald 35 (I think) and it just seems that the sock position is flipped to the end in yours.

So the finnex titanium heaters are good? I have read some bad reviews but you think that's just for the controller? I also have an apex. About to get an 85 going and it's got 2 glass heaters currently.

Speaking of electrocution.. I got quite the buzz one day when I grabbed the cord to the hydor powerhead that was mixing a bucket of water for a water change. I felt a buzz all over and thankfully released it after about a second. Unplugged it (by unplugging the whole strip, which didn't trip) and trashed it!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after seeing so many horror stories about heaters my plan going forward is to buy one every six months and swap out the oldest one. I have two so that breaks down to that they will only run for a year then off to the shelf of leftover equipment it's not worth loseing ur tank over 70 dollars

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a glass heat stick on (no surprise) but as luck would have it, it managed to melt the holder and poison the entire tank almost immediately. Killed every living thing in the tank. That was in my freshwater days and it bummed me out for months.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow...holy crap. I have a glass eheim heater in each overflow. Now i'm terrified if they were to explode my entire 300g is ruined.

This is not cool! How common is this? I am seriously concerned right now! Be luck it was just your sump which you can do without while you repair!

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered this sump, will I need to empty all of my aquarium water out to get the sump in? The back of the stand has larger openings than the front but I can't access the back as it is now. I was very lucky that I had my fish in a 55 gallon quarantine, I will always keep it running just in case.

Screenshot_2017-04-14-07-23-18.png

Zachhll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@leepink23 Some people really like the titanium heaters. Personally i am not a fan. You do have a Apex. Which can help. Do you plan on getting a controller for the heater? Even Neptune recommend using a controller with a heater and the apex as a second layer of protection. I personally recommend the Ehim Jager. It is glass but is a super reliable heater. Even bulk reef recommended it as the best solution if running a controller like the apex.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@leepink23 Some people really like the titanium heaters. Personally i am not a fan. You do have a Apex. Which can help. Do you plan on getting a controller for the heater? Even Neptune recommend using a controller with a heater and the apex as a second layer of protection. I personally recommend the Ehim Jager. It is glass but is a super reliable heater. Even bulk reef recommended it as the best solution if running a controller like the apex.

I have to disagree, I read lots of posts about Eheim Jagers being great, and ended up buying 3 for my various tanks, 2x 300w, and a 150w. Of all 3, not a single one could adjust to the right temperature on the dial, it just doesn't turn far enough to show the right temperature, so you need a secondary thermometer to set the right. After 2 years, one of the 300s just went bad on me, lost 1/3 of the coral in the frag tank as temp fell into the low 60s for a day before I caught it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 75 71.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back