OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my Finnex heater that I run off of the Apex controller. link The controllers for the finnex get terrible reviews, but the heaters are rock solid
I am planning on gettting this and an inkbird digital temperature controller. Not sure if I need the ink bird since I have an apex but sounds like it wouldnt hurt to have 2 checks on the temperature.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on gettting this and an inkbird digital temperature controller. Not sure if I need the ink bird since I have an apex but sounds like it wouldnt hurt to have 2 checks on the temperature.

Just use the Apex, What one really need is a good thermometer, digital to calibrate the heater to the apex.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, I would use both and do. Relay switches will eventually fail and usually together in the on position. You will want reduntant controlers.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! This is scary. Makes me think I need to invest in a titanium heater asap.

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah i see what your saying. Yea i never pay that much attention to the dials. Mine weren't off 6 degrees though. I set it with two other digital thermometers for redundancy. most of the ones with the built in dials the most accurate. but you can always compensate. I personally use an apex to control my heater then have its high temp set at 80F. With my apex set to fallback on. This way if for some reason my apex fails my temp will never go above 80F. @nvladik Do you have a controller or just plugging the heaters in? As for heater with a built in thermostat the jager has one of the safest methods of control with no real electronics.

Your fallback is ON? That means if the Apex fails, it will continue powering your heater. Would it not be much safer to have the fallback set to OFF?
They are not very efficient and only seem to work on smaller tanks.
I've had a Hydor inline heater running on my 75 gallon freshwater for over five years. Flawless.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fallback is ON? That means if the Apex fails, it will continue powering your heater. Would it not be much safer to have the fallback set to OFF?

I've had a Hydor inline heater running on my 75 gallon freshwater for over five years. Flawless.
I set my Fallback to Off

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I've had one also, also on a 75 gallon, it was on 24/7 it seemed like and on colder days couldn't keep up. I got a Sera at the same wattage, and I saw it off more then on, and no issues on cold days. I did like the concept and that it was hidden.

bluegrassreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finnex for sure I run two 800w through my apex on my 600 gallon system

Thought about getting a couple ranco controllers for double redundancy

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with the finnex elements. And yes their controller sucks. Had one go out on me so just cut it off and rewired the heater to always on. Use my archon to control. I just got an aqueon to replace an older one (glass) that stopped heating. One failsafe I use is to have the system shutdown. The return pump if temps reach a critical level. This way I have programming on two levels.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have an apex with an extra pm1 module and ab eb8 and eb832 would it be better to just but another temperature probe to have 2 sets of temperature monitoring and put heaters on separate eb modules? Ink bird seems to have poor reviews.

Back