Aquarium Engineering ACR

mr9iron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to bring this back up. I'm looking into "automatic" reactors (DaStaCo and Aquarium Engineering), but my searches don't find any bona fide AE users... at least none willing to give any details or talk about their experience so far.

AE offers a lifetime warranty on all his products. That’s a big deal. If I were in the marketing for a calcium reactor I would for for the ACR.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AE offers a lifetime warranty on all his products. That’s a big deal. If I were in the marketing for a calcium reactor I would for for the ACR.

It doesn’t cover pumps (probably no electronics), but it is a great warranty. Realistically, since this is a one-man show, the warranty only lasts as long as the owner keeps the business going, but I agree that the warranty is something to consider. My main issues are, does it operate as advertised, is it relatively easy to set up, how long does the media and CO2 last, how much does it affect tank pH, which model for which sized tank, what problems have been encountered, how is support?

If there are any users out there, they are very tight-lipped. It is almost like they got a rebate in exchange for signing a non-disclosure agreement.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had I not just built myself a new, bigger CaRx I’d have probably gone with the ACR. As it is, having Bill build me a heat exchanger. Takes a little while for high end units like this to make their way into the R2R community I’d imagine.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one on order for almost 8 weeks now (ACR-8in). Spoke with Bill last week. He said that they had run out of the custom valves they use to build but was expecting a shipment this week, hopefully it will ship out soon.
So to answer your inquiry, I don't have first hand experience yet. Will definately be posting my experience with the unit once installed.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one on order for almost 8 weeks now (ACR-8in). Spoke with Bill last week. He said that they had run out of the custom valves they use to build but was expecting a shipment this week, hopefully it will ship out soon.
So to answer your inquiry, I don't have first hand experience yet. Will definately be posting my experience with the unit once installed.

Definitely post your experience when you get. If I go with an "auto" reactor, I would definitely rather buy American, get 110v out of the box, and save a bunch of money. I just don't want a new, very expensive entry to the "What did you buy that sits on your shelf/wasted purchases" thread.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of media do these take? I know the dastaco units require their synthetic media since they run at a saturation of 6.0 ph. I understand the ACR runs on a saturation constant as well. Can you use reborn with these? Also, how would one go about using a dual stage regulator with a needle valve and solenoid. Do they need to be removed? Leave solenoid on and needle valve open full bore?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of media do these take? I know the dastaco units require their synthetic media since they run at a saturation of 6.0 ph. I understand the ACR runs on a saturation constant as well. Can you use reborn with these? Also, how would one go about using a dual stage regulator with a needle valve and solenoid. Do they need to be removed? Leave solenoid on and needle valve open full bore?

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke to Bill, he recommends the Two Little Fishies ReBorn. Also recommended getting it in the 44 lb box. BRS has 44 lbs for $100, best $$ per lb I could find.

Also per Bill, no solenoid/needle valve required, recommended taking them off if my regulator came with them. The computer on the ACR modulates the flow so you save money on the regulator if your buying one.

Another money saver is that you don't need a peristaltic pump. Just tee off of your return pump so that pressure is kept against the modulating valve of the unit. Again, the computer does the rest.

I also asked about the need for a secondary tower to scrub the CO2. This unit recirculates the CO2 so it requires less to operate. Again per Bill instead of a pH drop, after a couple of weeks of use you will see an increase.

Just received my tracking number this past Thursday, scheduled to be delivered Wednesday the 26th. Already have the media and the CO2 tank, will probably have to pick up a few plumbing items. Other than that just a matter of getting the time to set it up. Very much looking forward to test driving this unit.

Last edited:

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke to Bill, he recommends the Two Little Fishies ReBorn. Also recommended getting it in the 44 lb box. BRS has 44 lbs for $100, best $$ per lb I could find.

Also ber Bill, no solenoid/needle valve required, recommended taking them off if my regulator came with them. The computer on the ACR modulates the flow so you save money on the regulator if your buying one.

Another money saver is that you don't need a peristaltic pump. Just tee off of your return pump so that pressure is kept against the modulating valve of the unit. Again, the computer does the rest.

I also asked about the need for a secondary tower to scrub the CO2. This unit recirculates the CO2 so it requires less to operate. Again per Bill instead of a pH drop, after a couple of weeks of use you will see an increase.

Just received my tracking number this past Thursday, scheduled to be delivered Wednesday the 26th. Already have the media and the CO2 tank, will probably have to pick up a few plumbing items. Other than that just a matter of getting the time to set it up. Very much looking forward to test driving this unit.

Keep us posted. After doing a little internet searching to learn a something about Bill, I emailed him and then wound up talking to him over the phone. I have to tell you, I was impressed. You basically have a very intelligent guy with let's face it, a lot of money, who has a lot of knowledge and experience with building/re-furbishing sophisticated instrumentation (so sophisticated, I don't know what the heck any of it is) https://www.meadowshplc.com/ , who also has an extreme, if not over-the-top passion for this hobby and likes to create and build things. He obviously is not some hack or DIY'er, who thinks he stumbled on to something. The biggest risk I see is that if he gets bored with the whole thing, he can walk-away and put his time and energy in another hobby and all support would disappear. That said, he has apparently set his sites on building a 40,000 gal tank, so he's sticking around for awhile.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going with the ACR as long as I can come-up with an easy and consistent way to get CO2 bottles re-filled or exchanged.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted. After doing a little internet searching to learn a something about Bill, I emailed him and then wound up talking to him over the phone. I have to tell you, I was impressed. You basically have a very intelligent guy with let's face it, a lot of money, who has a lot of knowledge and experience with building/re-furbishing sophisticated instrumentation (so sophisticated, I don't know what the heck any of it is) https://www.meadowshplc.com/ , who also has an extreme, if not over-the-top passion for this hobby and likes to create and build things. He obviously is not some hack or DIY'er, who thinks he stumbled on to something. The biggest risk I see is that if he gets bored with the whole thing, he can walk-away and put his time and energy in another hobby and all support would disappear. That said, he has apparently set his sites on building a 40,000 gal tank, so he's sticking around for awhile.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going with the ACR as long as I can come-up with an easy and consistent way to get CO2 bottles re-filled or exchanged.

Your local gas supply shop or beer distributor can take care of that.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From some of the reading I've done concerning Bill and Aquarium Engineering, Bill was previously a pharmaceutical engineer, definitely an intelligent man. He has also made a substantial investment in this company so I can't believe that he's going anywhere any time soon. And as you pointed out, he loves what he's doing.

As for the CO2, I purchased a 20 lb cylinder filled for $110 (way overkill I know but I haven't had to change it out but every 4-5 years) from a local welding supply store maybe 12 years ago. Has their name stamped in it. When I need it refilled they swap out my tank and it costs around $40. Finding someone that will refill a cylinder that you own may be a challenge. No one around here will do it.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Bill Wann is the Stephen hawking of reef aquaria infrastructure as far as I’m concerned. When I upgrade tanks I am strongly considering selling my reactor setup and getting one of his. I already have two dual stage regulators I will be using one of so no need to downgrade there. I kind of like the idea of using a MJ1200 or something instead of my return pump but maybe I’ll plumb in a capped manifold line just in case.

May seem like a stupid question, but what shipping carrier does he use? Ups, usps, or FedEx?

Joe Barclay

Bogartus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get in touch with the gentleman that has the automated calcium reactor. I'm trying to set mine up right now and it's not as clear as the directions I got with it make it.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get in touch with the gentleman that has the automated calcium reactor. I'm trying to set mine up right now and it's not as clear as the directions I got with it make it.

Go to the Aquarium Engineering website. The phone number is posted there.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so my 8" ACR arrived this past Wednesday. Shipping was some of the best I've seen. Double wrapped in bubble wrap, taped tight and the shipped in a much larger box filled with popcorn. I think it could have been dropped out of a plane and it would have been fine. Comes in 3 separate pieces. The cylinder, the cap and the board. This is a beast. I can honestly say I've never owned anything aquarium hobby oriented that is as sturdy and well constructed as this reactor. So far the reasons behind being able to provide lifetime warranty are pretty obvious. There's also some minimal traces of water in the unit so I assume it's been pressure tested (who does that?).

The one thing it DID NOT ship with is a user manual/instructions or a schematic. Nothing I can find on the site or on the net to provide direction. What I have found are a few pictures that show an assembled unit. Even though the unit shown it somewhat different that the one I received (has some upgrades not shown on the older unit) I think I have the lines that interconnect the cap to the cylinder/solenoids like they should be. The real quandary is the computer board itself. there are 4 wires to connect.
*Power supply is a given.
*One wire is a 2 prong twist lock that connects to a sensor in the cap.
*The other 2 connect to the solenoids but which wire to which solenoid is not clear.
And of course how to program the unit.

I have an email and phone call into AE and should be hearing back soon. I'd really like to get this up and running this weekend!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take plenty of pictures and details on how you set it up. I’m fascinated with these. I shouldn’t be. I haven’t had to touch my calcium reactor in probably 4-5 months beyond simply looking at it to ensure the effluent is running and I still have gas in the bottle.

Just something about the design of the ACR is intriguing.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take plenty of pictures and details on how you set it up. I’m fascinated with these. I shouldn’t be. I haven’t had to touch my calcium reactor in probably 4-5 months beyond simply looking at it to ensure the effluent is running and I still have gas in the bottle.

Just something about the design of the ACR is intriguing.

Yes, lots of pics please! :)

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so my 8" ACR arrived this past Wednesday. Shipping was some of the best I've seen. Double wrapped in bubble wrap, taped tight and the shipped in a much larger box filled with popcorn. I think it could have been dropped out of a plane and it would have been fine. Comes in 3 separate pieces. The cylinder, the cap and the board. This is a beast. I can honestly say I've never owned anything aquarium hobby oriented that is as sturdy and well constructed as this reactor. So far the reasons behind being able to provide lifetime warranty are pretty obvious. There's also some minimal traces of water in the unit so I assume it's been pressure tested (who does that?).

The one thing it DID NOT ship with is a user manual/instructions or a schematic. Nothing I can find on the site or on the net to provide direction. What I have found are a few pictures that show an assembled unit. Even though the unit shown it somewhat different that the one I received (has some upgrades not shown on the older unit) I think I have the lines that interconnect the cap to the cylinder/solenoids like they should be. The real quandary is the computer board itself. there are 4 wires to connect.
*Power supply is a given.
*One wire is a 2 prong twist lock that connects to a sensor in the cap.
*The other 2 connect to the solenoids but which wire to which solenoid is not clear.
And of course how to program the unit.

I have an email and phone call into AE and should be hearing back soon. I'd really like to get this up and running this weekend!

Good info.! I’ve spoken with Bill twice and also had some email correspondence. I will say that he likes to answer questions over the phone more so than by email. He has responded to all of my emails, but if my questions require much more than a yes/no answer, he wants to discuss over the phone. That’s not a negative, just the way he likes to do things. I kind of wonder if he is waiting on patent approval and doesn’t want much information floating around for someone to use to try to knock-off (that’s just my wild speculation). However, it wouldn’t surprise me if he walks you through the setup over the phone.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

• I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back