Aquarium Evaporation and Walls

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where to post this but I’ll start here.

I set this tank up in about 4 months ago and tonight noticed where the drywall/trim is cracking. The bank is in the basement and I have a dehumidifier in the room. What should I do? Obviously my house is more important than my tank.

IMG_7330.jpeg IMG_7332.jpeg IMG_7333.jpeg IMG_7331.jpeg

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pictures don’t help. Please use better lighting. Drywall isn’t the only wall solution. Try covering the lid and sump for less evaporation. Good luck

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are better pictures of it splitting away.

Attachments

• IMG_7335.jpeg
    IMG_7335.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7334.jpeg
    IMG_7334.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7336.jpeg
    IMG_7336.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 38

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here are better pictures of it splitting away.

How old is your home? Honestly it is more likely that the dehumidifier is causing the issue. Those look like contraction cracks. Drywall and trim contain moisture. They also absorb moisture. If you never used a dehu before and now are because you have a tank you are likely drying out the materials causing them to shrink and cracks to appear.

Turn off the dehu and give it 2-3 weeks and see how it looks. You could also just use some painters caulk. Fill those cracks and paint and call it a day.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That crown molding is gorgeous. So taking it down to put up plaster or concrete walls would be a setback.

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your home? Honestly it is more likely that the dehumidifier is causing the issue. Those look like contraction cracks. Drywall and trim contain moisture. They also absorb moisture. If you never used a dehu before and now are because you have a tank you are likely drying out the materials causing them to shrink and cracks to appear.

Turn off the dehu and give it 2-3 weeks and see how it looks. You could also just use some painters caulk. Fill those cracks and paint and call it a day.
The house was built in 2003. I have never used a dehumidifier in it until the tank. I will cut it off. I guess I am more concerned about any long term affects on the home this may cause. I realize caulking can “hide” it but do you guys see any long term affects on the structure of the home from?

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with above. Drywall/trim typically crags in the winter when your heater dries out the air. Dehumidifier also amplifies the problem. This doesn’t look bad and can be caulked easily. Also, some caulk is less flexible than others and could be causing this. I don’t think it’s a concern at all by looking at your pictures. Just refresh it with new caulk and repaint trim if needed.

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The house was built in 2003. I have never used a dehumidifier in it until the tank. I will cut it off. I guess I am more concerned about any long term affects on the home this may cause. I realize caulking can “hide” it but do you guys see any long term affects on the structure of the home from?

What’s the humidity level? Do you have an accurate way to measure?

These look like superficial cracks. Structural cracks will take a lot more than a tank/dehumidifier I think.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not structural. That is not abnormal to see and I agree with the previous post that that is a result of the trim contracting from low humidity.
I own a hardwood flooring company and deal with the effects of moisture every day. An "ideal" range for humidity is 30% -50%, running a dehumidifier dried out the air pulling moisture from the trim causing it to contract and pull from the wall.
Turn off the dehumidifier, wait a while, then re-caulk the trim.
Then enjoy your beautiful tank!

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Not structural. Up your humidity by 10-15% and I bet they go away.

LOL....
I see way too many guys using caulk as an excuse for sloppy work, it's a real shame.
Try your best and caulk the rest. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's hilarious....lol....love it!
I've never been able to do that, I'm old school and a little OCD on installing my trim :)

Haha same. We finished remodeling a home about a year ago. I was coping everything by hand and making sure it was perfect. Nobody noticed. So it’s back to caulking I go.

Although….. maybe they didn’t notice because it didn’t look sloppy? Hahaha

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it feels humid, get a lid, or maybe try a ceiling fan to circulate the air. Octoaquatics makes beautiful covers that you probably wouldn't notice.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back