Aquarium Explosion Safety

Formulator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2024
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
2,759
Location
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone do periodic checks on seals or re-level their tanks on any recurring basis to account for things like home/ground settling? Any other safety measures?

I just saw this video of a 90 gallon exploding on reddit and am now thoroughly afraid…

 
I don't think you can easily and safely relevel a tank later on. We slowly fill yhe tank up and check level as we go. There will be some settling, but it seems risky to put any torque on a tank that is full
 
Does anyone do periodic checks on seals or re-level their tanks on any recurring basis to account for things like home/ground settling? Any other safety measures?

I just saw this video of a 90 gallon exploding on reddit and am now thoroughly afraid…


I've seen that video before. I feel like that was a freak accident, or that tank was already about to burst, and it finally did.
 
Does anyone do periodic checks on seals or re-level their tanks on any recurring basis to account for things like home/ground settling? Any other safety measures?

I just saw this video of a 90 gallon exploding on reddit and am now thoroughly afraid…


If you are that concerned, the only way I can imagine it being done is to mostly empty the tank into containers, (including inhabitants) leaving the sand, and maybe 3 or 4 inches of water.
 
If you are that concerned, the only way I can imagine it being done is to mostly empty the tank into containers, (including inhabitants) leaving the sand, and maybe 3 or 4 inches of water.
I’m not personally concerned about my level, but more so interested in any/all safety measures folks take to prevent a catastrophic failure like the one in the video. For example, do tanks have a generally accepted lifespan?
 
During my daily feeding and when the return pump is off, the water drops below the rim (GlassCages concealed water line) and I always check for level. The waterline is great for checking level.
 
I’m not personally concerned about my level, but more so interested in any/all safety measures folks take to prevent a catastrophic failure like the one in the video. For example, do tanks have a generally accepted lifespan?
Ahh, got ya! This is a good question. Personally, I check the seams with some regularity, and beyond that, I do have some containers with extra equipment just in case.
 
tapping fish tank GIF
 
Does anyone do periodic checks on seals or re-level their tanks on any recurring basis to account for things like home/ground settling? Any other safety measures?

I just saw this video of a 90 gallon exploding on reddit and am now thoroughly afraid…


Which person had the best plumbers crack in the video?

What are they doing with their hands while they are sitting there?
 
I do make a point to check carefully 2-3 times a year, I caught one of my tanks bowing a few years ago, and prevented an accident.

One of my tanks is 18 years old and still being used. Good maintenance pays off.
 
Does anyone do periodic checks on seals or re-level their tanks on any recurring basis to account for things like home/ground settling? Any other safety measures?

I just saw this video of a 90 gallon exploding on reddit and am now thoroughly afraid…


Wild! Why do you think he ran so quickly to that back room? :thinking-face:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new