Aquarium leak

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Notice a drip of water on the return pipe this morning. After wiping it dry. The small drip is there again in 30 mins. Upon further checking it shud b a leak from the tank somewhere as the pipes have no issues. The leak is very slow. As I’ve said a small drip every 30 mins or so. My tank just finished cycle and I have like 20 fishes in it without corals. Planning to make it full sps once the ugly stage is over.

Question is will leaks eventually just get worse or can I just leave it as it is not a big issue now? To take out everything and dry the tank to find the leak is too big a hassle. Any advice on what to do?

Tank is 1 1/2 years old

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you check your bulkhead? It’s very common to have leak from the bulkhead. You can try to readjust or replace.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo you need to assess where the actual leak is...i think it will be a pipe sealing issue rathere than the tank but who knows. fix it now either way before you get deeper into the tank

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo you need to assess where the actual leak is...i think it will be a pipe sealing issue rathere than the tank but who knows. fix it now either way before you get deeper into the tank
The bottom glass near the return pipe is abit wet. I suspect is somewhere from the overflow box. But if there’s a leak? It’ll just get bigger overtime?

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sound like a misplaced seal from the bulkhead...the fitting that goes thru the glass and the pipes attach to...drain the tank and fix it now would be my recommendation...sometimes they can stop leaking and other let go all together...

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this post is all over the place you just finished cycle but have twenty fish and the tank is a year and a half? Anyways your drip is most likely a bulkhead seal. You would have to drain the water from inside the return and then clean very well and replace. Making sure no sand or anything in between glass and bulkhead. First I would try to tighten the bulkhead a tiny amount and see if that works first.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back