Aquarium on 2nd floor

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can anyone check out my linked thread above and give me some input on if my tank is in a safe spot?

Thanks!

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was three full size adult guys sitting on a couch there would you be concerned?

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've serviced 90 gallon tanks on the second floor in bedrooms with no issue. My main concern would be keeping the thing level once it's filled due to the carpet. Also you should expect it to leave a permanent mark on the carpet as well should you ever choose to move it haha.

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've serviced 90 gallon tanks on the second floor in bedrooms with no issue. My main concern would be keeping the thing level once it's filled due to the carpet. Also you should expect it to leave a permanent mark on the carpet as well should you ever choose to move it haha.

Currently, the tank sits too low and is causing the doors on the cabinet to drag along the carpet. Also the carpet is new and taller than warn in carpet. The Waterbox I have has several small, adjustable legs. Is the best option to prevent it from not being leveled when filled with water, to adjust the legs as much as possible while it is empty?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt it could hold several hundred pounds but Im more concerned with ongoing, consistent weight on the joists.

Whats underneath that hallway?

I see two potential problems and the tank crashing through the floor due to weight is not one of them: 1. Depending on which way the joists run you might only be straddling one of them, which in of itself isn't great but I'd be more worried about it tilting to one side or the other making leveling difficult. 2. Being a high traffic area, any deflection in the flooring may be amplified, the floor may feel especially bouncy or you may get nail pops or creaks in the subfloor.

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see two potential problems and the tank crashing through the floor due to weight is not one of them: 1. Depending on which way the joists run you might only be straddling one of them, which in of itself isn't great but I'd be more worried about it tilting to one side or the other making leveling difficult. 2. Being a high traffic area, any deflection in the flooring may be amplified, the floor may feel especially bouncy or you may get nail pops or creaks in the subfloor.

Directly under the tank is a bathroom. Wall that the tank is along goes another 4ft past what is visible in the photos then wraps around to the left into a side room and that bathroom.

Is there anything that can be done regarding the tilting once I fill the tank up? I've leveled it as much as possible at the moment. It has 26 individual feet you can raise or lower.

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've gotten the tank as level as I can. Its pretty much dead level but if for some reason after I fill the tank up, it becomes very slightly unlevel, will this cause any long term issues?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back