Aquarium sand

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When starting a tank, does the type of sand matter? I used Carib-sea ocean direct on my first tank back in March. Starting a 40G was thinking about getting some Fiji pink caribsea sand. I’m also seeing Bahamas oolite sand as well.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are several things to consider including the flow in your tank (light sand will blow around), what is appropriate for the animals that might be burrowing in the sand, and the appearance that you would like to achieve. Good luck with whatever you choose!

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand does matter. caribsea sand with larger grains is less likely to cause a sandstorm in higher flow. smaller grains of sand are much more prone to blowing around the tank like no tomorrow. certain grains of sand also matter for certain sand-sifting animals if you plan to keep them.

if you buy live sand, it's best to pick it up from an lfs so the bacteria isn't damaged by extreme temperatures or anything during shipping depending on where you live.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several things to consider including the flow in your tank (light sand will blow around), what is appropriate for the animals that might be burrowing in the sand, and the appearance that you would like to achieve. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Is the light sand aragonite?

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand does matter. caribsea sand with larger grains is less likely to cause a sandstorm in higher flow. smaller grains of sand are much more prone to blowing around the tank like no tomorrow. certain grains of sand also matter for certain sand-sifting animals if you plan to keep them.

if you buy live sand, it's best to pick it up from an lfs so the bacteria isn't damaged by extreme temperatures or anything during shipping depending on where you live.
Is the light sand aragonite

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"live sand" means it has some bacteria in it. By the time it gets to you, it will just be stinky. It should still seed faster, but there is no need to get "live" sand.

I started My current tank with sand from my old tanks that had been dry for 4 years.

As peace river said, there many types and it depends on your creatures and how high you want your flow to be.

That said, you can't go wrong with aragonite sand.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
larger grain aragonite sand shouldn't be prone to blowing around like "light" sand if that's what you mean? i'd do caribsea aragonite sand if i were you
Ok cool, I was wondering if the aragonite sand was the sand that’s easy to blow around.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, I was wondering if the aragonite sand was the sand that’s easy to blow around.
I have CaribSea Arag-Alive in medium flow and it works great for me. I think it's more of the play sand-type stuff that really causes issues o_O

I've seen debates over sand go on and on but in the end it's just sand and I'd just pick the grain that would suit your flow and animals and be done with it. The efficacy of live sand is debated too but again, if you plan to use it get it from the lfs.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use a live sand along with maricultured live rock when establishing a new system. Endoliths and biofilms will colonize the sand grains and will be beneficial in maintaining the carbonate, nitrogen and phsohprus cycles. will My prefereance is CaribSea's Fiji Pink but I've use the others with equally good success. get what you think will look the best.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tropic Eden is my all time favorite!

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use a live sand along with maricultured live rock when establishing a new system. Endoliths and biofilms will colonize the sand grains and will be beneficial in maintaining the carbonate, nitrogen and phsohprus cycles. will My prefereance is CaribSea's Fiji Pink but I've use the others with equally good success. get what you think will look the best.
The Fiji pink, does it get blown around?

Back