Aquarium Seals

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys quick question. I got a new (to me) tank last night, 72 bow front, and got looking at the silicone and wondered if I should just go ahead and reseal it. The tank holds water no problems but the front silicone has seen better days. If any of you have resealed one can you give me tips or pointers? I may not even keep the tank because now that it is in the house the wife is not to thrilled with how big it is. Just need to know if I should worry or not.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1379439529.939118.jpg
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1379439538.934871.jpg
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1379439548.118324.jpg
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1379439559.719171.jpg

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fit were me.. I would re-seal it. that looks awful. Now, how to go about that? FUN!

1. remove all of hte interior silicone including that on the bottom. be VERY careful not to get your razor between the pieces of Glass as that part looks good.
2. make double sure there is NO silicone left on teh areas you can access. clean it with Mineral spirits.
3. buy new black silicone from Glass Cages or someone else. use 100% RTV Silicone.
4. I would advise taping up the tank with blue tape so that you ensure you get super straight lines on your silicone.
5. start with the bottom and go all the way around. use your finger to form a nice pretty bead.
6. then go up the sides.
7. before silicone dries, pull your tape
8. let cure 75 hours before getting wet.

photos of when I did it.

CIMG0909.jpg

CIMG0910.jpg

CIMG0911.jpg

CIMG0913.jpg

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look bad, but only bad in how it looks, not function. The silicone you see missing has nothing to do with its ability to hold water. The true seal is in between the glass where it meets the other pane of glass.

I have read threads where folks stripped off the existing and sealed it again, only for it to leak again.

I guess this means you arent getting my bowfront huh? If she isnt happy with that size, mine is even bigger.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look bad, but only bad in how it looks, not function. The silicone you see missing has nothing to do with its ability to hold water. The true seal is in between the glass where it meets the other pane of glass.

I have read threads where folks stripped off the existing and sealed it again, only for it to leak again.

I guess this means you arent getting my bowfront huh? If she isnt happy with that size, mine is even bigger.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I just was not sure since it looked rough. It does hold water fine and was setup as a reef right up until I got it. Yeah I won't be getting yours now. I traded my freshwater 40 breeder for this. Now that I have it I just can't decide if I want to go through all the work of resealing or just use it as is..... If I get to use it at all.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back