Aquarium Stand Doors Are warping?

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I built my aquarium stand myself, and bought prefabricated wood panels for the doors from my local hardware store. I cut them to size, sanded them, and finished them with india ink and then polyurethane.

My problem is it looks like the two middle doors (in front of the sump) are warping. They are also the two largest to fit the sump in and out if I needed. They are about 19.5 in wide by 32.5 in tall. They were fine but once I closed them over the course of 24 hours they started warping. They are bowing inward in the middle of the door and bowing outward on the ends going side to side. Interestingly enough, when I opened them and left them open for the next couple days they straightened back out almost completely. The two outside doors which are smaller and not in front of the sump are completely fine.

Any experience on how to correct this? Is it excess humidity causing it that I can resolve by creating more air holes in the back of the stand? I currently have one 3x6 inch hole for cords. Stand is 72x24x34 for a 180gal. Or could I coat the inside of the middle doors with something more water proof to prevent warping?

Thanks for your help!

CrazyDuck959

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I built my aquarium stand myself, and bought prefabricated wood panels for the doors from my local hardware store. I cut them to size, sanded them, and finished them with india ink and then polyurethane.

My problem is it looks like the two middle doors (in front of the sump) are warping. They are also the two largest to fit the sump in and out if I needed. They are about 19.5 in wide by 32.5 in tall. They were fine but once I closed them over the course of 24 hours they started warping. They are bowing inward in the middle of the door and bowing outward on the ends going side to side. Interestingly enough, when I opened them and left them open for the next couple days they straightened back out almost completely. The two outside doors which are smaller and not in front of the sump are completely fine.

Any experience on how to correct this? Is it excess humidity causing it that I can resolve by creating more air holes in the back of the stand? I currently have one 3x6 inch hole for cords. Stand is 72x24x34 for a 180gal. Or could I coat the inside of the middle doors with something more water proof to prevent warping?

Thanks for your help!
Could you post a picture?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Thanks for your help!
Definitely being caused by moisture buildup inside the stand.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, enclosing your stand like that will cause a lot of humidity. Is the back of the stand in view? Was there a reason you enclosed it? The back of my stand is a few inches from the wall and totally open. As mentioned, fans will help.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post a picture?
0A48D9CC-139B-4C0E-99A5-09B6A64C722D.jpeg 4E62D308-5B2C-4D3D-BE86-903E86EE73B0.jpeg E4CFF5BB-33E9-4153-ABE4-4EBE0F56C4B9.jpeg B21B0541-FCFB-477A-A397-FADE2340DC7F.jpeg
its hard to tell really but on the last two pictures you can see an even lip from the stand molding to the door. But then on the last picture you can see the door is curving. Has a lip on the ends but not in the middle. It was dramatically worse on both doors before I opened them back up. Almost like crescent moons shape.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the back of the stand off if you can. You can use pegboard for the back if you need to keep cats out.

Reason is I would also worry about the humidity ruining any electrical stuff you plan to keep in there. dosers, controllers, fuge light, etc. anything.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really thought humidity would be an issue since a lot of stands are enclosed like that. I guess I messed up. Lol. The back of the stand isn't in view so I could drill more holes into it and maybe retrofit a computer type fan? What about creating some kind of lid for the sump? Idk if that is really possible with all the equipment.

madmarks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, do they make those to be able to retrofit in walls or cabinets like that?
They typically are 5 v or 12V and come with 4 screw holes. you just need to make a hole-saw cut the diameter of the fan and allow for the anchoring to cabinet by the screw holes. The one below is $13.99 Canadian Dollars on Amazon and is a 12 volt, 0.1 Amp fan. You just need to retrofit the power to a 12V adapter. Just orient the fan so it blows outward.

1651119770329.png

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also just leave the back of the stand totally open. Here's a pick of my stand after I built it and you can see what the back looks like. Aside from some bracing, it's totally open.

3.JPG

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Add two computer fans to the top of the side of your stand and drill similar holes on the opposite side of the stand for intake. This will move air across the top-inside of your stand and remove moisture with it.

YOu can use something like this

or get fancy with it with this.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Venting the cabinet is a very good idea, I would do it just to get fresh air to the skimmer.

If warping is still an issue after that I would reseal the back of the doors. For wood in damp/wet areas I like to use Spar Varnish, it will dry slightly yellow so its not great over light stains, but over dark or just on the back side it should be fine.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also just leave the back of the stand totally open. Here's a pick of my stand after I built it and you can see what the back looks like. Aside from some bracing, it's totally open.

3.JPG
Yea I should've done this from the start... It looks nice; nice build! The things you learn doing stuff for the first time. Haha. It didn't quite come out as professional as I wanted but not bad for my first one. Unfortunately it's too late now with the tank on the stand full of sand rock and water. Lol.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Venting the cabinet is a very good idea, I would do it just to get fresh air to the skimmer.

If warping is still an issue after that I would reseal the back of the doors. For wood in damp/wet areas I like to use Spar Varnish, it will dry slightly yellow so its not great over light stains, but over dark or just on the back side it should be fine.
Would paint do better also if I needed to? putting a coat of paint on the inside?

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add two computer fans to the top of the side of your stand and drill similar holes on the opposite side of the stand for intake. This will move air across the top-inside of your stand and remove moisture with it.

YOu can use something like this

or get fancy with it with this.

Thanks for sending the links! Something like that does look like a great option. I like the idea of creating an air current too and they still look pretty nice.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would paint do better also if I needed to? putting a coat of paint on the inside?
Did you not seal the inside of the doors with your poly coat? If not you should. If you did, it looks like you need another coat, or something a little more heavy duty, a regular paint would not be my first choice.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think even just one fan like this one the bigger "single 120" S3 model in the back of the stand over the sump blowing air out would be adequate?

https://amzn.to/3EXjluH

Or is the two fans on opposite ends necessary? I like the two fans idea but then thought IDK if people will feel air blowing out on one side if they are standing or sitting by that side? Or is it pretty light flow still to the touch? I don't mind the look I actually think they look kind of cool with my stand being black already.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you not seal the inside of the doors with your poly coat? If not you should. If you did, it looks like you need another coat, or something a little more heavy duty, a regular paint would not be my first choice.
Yea I did put a coat of triple thick poly on it followed by 3 coats of regular poly already.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I did put a coat of triple thick poly on it followed by 3 coats of regular poly already.
That should be enough, water based or oil based poly?

For the fan, one is enough, but you need to provide a place for the air you are blowing out to get in. Cross flow is best, so fan on one side and vent on the other, but in the side and out the back will work too. To dress up the inlet, find a grill or screen to cover the hole.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back