OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be enough, water based or oil based poly?

For the fan, one is enough, but you need to provide a place for the air you are blowing out to get in. Cross flow is best, so fan on one side and vent on the other, but in the side and out the back will work too. To dress up the inlet, find a grill or screen to cover the hole.
Okay cool maybe I'll even do intake fan on the far back right, and fan blowing out on the far back left?

I used water based poly.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You think even just one fan like this one the bigger "single 120" S3 model in the back of the stand over the sump blowing air out would be adequate?

https://amzn.to/3EXjluH

Or is the two fans on opposite ends necessary? I like the two fans idea but then thought IDK if people will feel air blowing out on one side if they are standing or sitting by that side? Or is it pretty light flow still to the touch? I don't mind the look I actually think they look kind of cool with my stand being black already.

One side is fans, the other can have holes with grills if you want it to look finished.

In other words, you don't need an intake and outflow fan....just a fan that takes air out of the stand.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100% with the use of computer fans to help fix the problem. One or two on one end of the tank, but blowing in rather than out. The fans will last much longer if they aren't continually exposed to the humid air inside the stand. They make vent covers that you can put on the outside to hide them nicely.

Are the doors solid wood or plywood? The really should not be warping like that at all. A couple coats of poly (oil or water) that is cured should easily seal them from any moisture. My doors (2 on front, 1 on each end) are solid cherry with 3 coats of polyurethane and they have not warped a bit in the 10 years they've been in use.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100% with the use of computer fans to help fix the problem. One or two on one end of the tank, but blowing in rather than out. The fans will last much longer if they aren't continually exposed to the humid air inside the stand. They make vent covers that you can put on the outside to hide them nicely.

Are the doors solid wood or plywood? The really should not be warping like that at all. A couple coats of poly (oil or water) that is cured should easily seal them from any moisture. My doors (2 on front, 1 on each end) are solid cherry with 3 coats of polyurethane and they have not warped a bit in the 10 years they've been in use.
They are solid wood. Why have them only sucking in instead of blowing out? It seems like more humid air would stay inside the stand that way. Or does it not make a difference?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you push dry air from outside the stand into it from one side and allow it to exit the other side via a vent the fans will last much longer - computer fans are definitely not designed for humid areas. In addition, leaving the backside at least partially open makes plumbing and running cords much easier, and then you wouldn't even need to add a vent - just the fan(s) on one (or both) sides

Last edited:
OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update the thread:

I did buy one of the AC Infinity S3 fans and put it on the upper left side of the back of the stand, using the right side hole (for the power cords) as the air vent hole.

It worked great. No more warping! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back